Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-17-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
washetas

Default roof paint

Hi Folks,
I Have a Gulfstream Friendship G7 and need to paint my roof. Any suggestions on what paint to use without breaking the bank.Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thank you and Peace to all.
washetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #2
gwirth

My question is why are you painting the roof. They came with a one piece white fiberglass roof. Unless damaged, it should be able to be cleaned.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #3
RY469

There are some good products I can recommend. I tend to agree with "Gwirth" though, is there a particular reason you feel you need to paint it?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
gezzer

I also have a 2004 G7 The roof is chalking and streaking the side paint . I've had temporary success using "mop and glow" on the roof after cleaning in the spring . Lasts a few months in the FL sun. Love to have a more permanent solution
gezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:59 PM   #5
Bike Dr

Hello RY469 I noticed you mentioned recommending some products! Can I ask in reference to geezers questions. I am aware of most products but I noticed you work for gulfstream and was wondering if you do have a recommendation to reduce the streaking from the roof I haven't tried mop n glo but use just a good auto wash with wax and it works like mentioned for a short time. I am aware of sealing products like eternabond and so on.
But any help on the infamous streaking would greatly appreciated.

I am curious as not to change the subject in the original post as to why washetas wanted to paint a fiberglass roof.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!
2005 40'4 ATRIUM 8410 SE
Towing
2017 20' weller's enclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
RY469

Not what you want to hear, but washing the roof at least every six months reduces the issue. I would NOT recommend painting the roof. We do use a product at our dealership called "Renew 3000" It's made by a company called Pro Pack, they tag it with "BEST" as a name brand. Here's a link to an Amazon source:
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-PROPA.../dp/B01KR7DWBO
It's got UV blocker, which is very important to any RV and it's roof.
My 2-cents.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:54 PM   #7
Bike Dr

Thanks RY469! I kinda figured there was no real getting out of washing it but I was hopeful. And thanks for the heads up on different products, I like trying new things if it's a cleaner I will try it for sure. And if it has uv protection I'm all in.
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
washetas

Default Painting fiberglass roof

Totally get the questioning of painting a fiberglass roof.I have the same streaking problem(which is quite bothersome) and was just trying to maybe trouble shoot with a good rubber coating to stop the running once and for all and to also stop any deterioration by UV rays to the fiber glass.Leaving it alone for now as its had a good washing and a coat of zip floor wax to hopefully stop the running (white lines).Peace to all,Happy travels and thanks for being on this forum.This thing is priceless.
washetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:44 AM   #9
Rick Lapointe

Totally agree fiberglass roofs need to be re coated every 5 to 10 years.
Look close up after you've cleaned the roof you will see the fiberglass shine thru, thats not good.
Dicor makes a specific coating just for fiberglass roofs, 2 coats of this and the streaks will stop and you now have a properly sealed roof surface.
Dicor RPFRC1 Product #
Rick Lapointe is offline   Reply With Quote