Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream Owners | Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2024, 11:48 AM   #1
BTcruiserreno

Default BT cruiser full rebuild

Thanks for adding me to the forum. Interested in seeing what other members have done to their 5210 BT cruiser and share my complete Reno journey.
BTcruiserreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:50 AM   #2
Just two

We have dismantled our 2021 BT 5210. Found so much to fix. I started by removing the front over the cab area. I found sound deadening lacking and major gaps in the insulation. We tore out the dinette, couch bed, kitchen cabinet's, and ceiling. We have just started adding things back after fixing the defective stuff.

How far are you planning to go with your rebuild?
Need any help or ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0527.jpg (209.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0500.jpg (217.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0529.jpg (271.1 KB, 16 views)
Just two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:17 AM   #3
BTcruiserreno

Hi. Thanks for your response. I’m
Going everything! Bought my BT with no roof and no interior! I’m a cabinet maker so the process is a bit easier for me. Thought the group would like to see what I’m up to with the Reno. Need to figure out how to post pictures here!
BTcruiserreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:08 AM   #4
BluesFlyer

BTCruiserreno,

I’m very interested in watching your progress.

There are probably other ways to post pictures, but I uploaded these pictures by using the “Attach Files” box and then click “Manage Attachments”. This new window allows you to select a pic from your device to upload. After you’ve chosen an image and uploaded it, you hit close window in the top right to return to the message you’re creating. When viewing the image in a post you get a clearer view by clicking on the image.

I hope this helps. Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0107.jpg (88.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0108.jpg (101.5 KB, 6 views)
BluesFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 07:17 PM   #5
Just two

Default We would love to see pictures

Yes please, some pictures.

We are having so much fun on the rebuild. Making this thing the way we want it. Functional and easy to use. There are a lot of choices to make. Trying to figure out everything we need and getting it installed in the right order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0546.jpg (313.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0446.jpg (77.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (176.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-06-2024, 12:29 PM   #6
dothat

Default 5420 Owner

what are you using to insulate the ceiling and walls? We have 2021 BT5420 and one of the issues is the road noise while traveling. I am interested in how to improve our unit. Thanks
dothat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:12 PM   #7
Just two

Default #1 Wind noise from frameless windows

5420 Owner,

We found a lot of wind noise above 55 mph was coming from the driver side frameless window. It seems that the air moving down the camper lifts the edge of the glass. We were getting a harmonic vibration mostly on the driver side. We bought a plastic water threshold to stick to the camper wall on the leading side of the window. We heard that this helped others. We decided to just replace both windows 60” x 30” because the frameless windows leak air so bad. Hard to get them shut tight enough to stop the air leaks.

Big difference, much improvement. Worth the time and money.

Found the exact fit and size at RecPro. (not sponsored).

One thing I say is that the window open cut into the Azdel side were sealed very well. Nice job Gulf Stream. (Not sponsored).

So sorry about the upside down pictures. I figured how to stop that later in the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0485.jpg (227.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.jpg (171.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-06-2024, 07:28 PM   #8
Just two

Default #2 wheel wells

Second big noise issue is or was the metal wheel wells. They are totally uninsulated and act as drums going down bouncy roads. Our rig had a sofa bed and a dinette I remove the sofa and had access to the driver side wheel well so I cleaned the metal and install rattle stop sound deadening insulation. Big help. Much improvement. I also insulated the dinette side. I also found a 1/2” to 3/4” gap where the wheel wells meet the Azdel siding. You may want to check yours by reaching up in the wheel well just outside and above the tires. I was able to bend our closed with a gloved hand. Took a bit of an effort but worth it. Also plan on adding Bed Liner paint to the under side of these wheel wells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0398.jpg (203.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (237.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-06-2024, 07:44 PM   #9
Just two

Default #3 faring noise was maddening

Biggest noise maker was the faring above the cab. We wanted more storage space and coming from a camper van we were spoiled by all the storage above the front seat. So I removed the TV and carefully removed the cabinets above the front seats. And was I surprised to find the lack of any affective insulation. I cleaned out the whole area and washed the inside of the fiberglass faring insulated with self adhesive sound deadening insulation. A nice application for this product. I am now working on rebuilding the cabinets above the cab. And I am adding more storage. And insulating with Rockwool. I bought rockwool batts and I’m adding a plastic vapor barrier to hold it in place. Working great so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.jpg (172.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0400.jpg (214.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0388.jpg (248.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0571.jpg (181.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-06-2024, 07:58 PM   #10
Just two

Default #4 start at the top.

Removed the ceiling. Found the insulation pitiful. I don’t think there was much noise from here but I had a front ceiling panel loose and when I pulled it down I knew I had to reseal and re-insulate the ceiling. So I removed all the ceiling main area and I wasn’t surprised by what I found. Bad bad Gulf Stream. Really. Come on?
I insulated with rock wool and used 6 mil plastic to hold it firmly in place. I added cedar 1/2” firing strips below the plastic. The cedar runs north to south. I plan on installing ship lap east and west direction. What fun. I noticed the heat retaining difference already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0572.jpg (186.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0574.jpg (173.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-07-2024, 04:28 PM   #11
Just two

Default #5 cabinet rattle bummer

We found a lot of rattling and cracking noises coming from the cabinets above the cab. The majority of the noise was from the passenger side. When we removed the cabinets up there we found that side floating. There must have been an attempt to anchor them but they were loose.

One good thing about removing the cabinets is we found a leak that must have been there from the factory. A 2 + inch gap in the seal strip between the fiberglass faring and the Azdel siding. They missed caulking it in the hard to reach area behind the awning.

The first picture is of the gap were the leak came in. The gap is behind the gutter turn out in the lower portion of the picture. No caulk was ever there and a heavy rain rushed over the gutter and into the couch.
Second picture shows the area where the puddle of water was. This is after we dried it up and the wet spot came back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0566.jpg (299.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0567.jpg (195.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0404.jpg (197.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-01-2024, 07:05 PM   #12
Just two

Default Getting deeper in oh no

Started working on rebuilding the over head cabinets they were 12 x 12 now they will be 15 x 15. Could use the help of a cabinet maker 😄. Removed the bathroom sink we are replacing the PEX B with PEX A and removing the problematic Pex b to flex pipe fittings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0617.jpg (160.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0612.jpg (188.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2024, 02:32 PM   #13
Just two

Plumbing started using PexA and doing home runs to hot and cold headers.

It was much easier then I thought. I tried to insulate most of the pipes near the outside walls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0702.jpg (253.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0688.jpg (141.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0645.jpg (192.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2024, 02:38 PM   #14
Just two

Default Hot water preheat.

Added a hot water preheat circuit for the shower. The boss wants one on the kitchen sink. Good idea.

The picture shower the valve added to send hot water back to the fresh water tank. This way when we shower we won’t waste water waiting for it to get hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0696.jpg (172.5 KB, 0 views)