Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #1
minnew

Question newbie quick questions

My wife and I just purchased a 2017 B Touring Cruiser, model 5291B (class C) with a 450 super duty Ford engine. I'm totally new to RVing, so I've been watching YouTube vids and reading manuals.

However, compared to the automobile world and what I think is common sense, I'm confused about certain items:

1. There is no spare tire on the vehicle! I guess if you get a flat you're totally dependent on whatever roadside assistance you have. I happen to have Erie auto insurance covering my vehicles and they apparently offer roadside assistance and my agent said I'm covered for towing and repairs...is this enough or should I fork out more money for RV specialty roadside coverage? Which one(s) are recommended?

2. I have "levelers" only in the rear of the vehicle. That does not make much sense to me. Are you supposed to use roll on levels for the front wheels and then the screw jack levelers for the rear? What is the logic to this design?

I have other questions, but these are the biggies...
thanks,
Mike and Kelly
minnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello and welcome! If you are new you will have a fair amount to learn but a lot of it is good common sense and some mechanical experience does help.
As for the spare most do not have one. I have a class a but do carry a spare in the basement compartment. Or if you tow you can keep a spare in your tow( trailer) possibly.
You will have many experiences as your leaning curve grows. You will have some rough times but those are the memories along with the great ones you will make in the future!!
As for the leveling system there are many very helpful others one this forum that will also be glad to help!
I do have a class a but many systems are relative in ways so if you have any other questions the future I hope I can help you out!
Congratulations on your bt and happy camping!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41' Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
Leisure Time Larry

Hi!

1) To each their own on the spare tire issue. Some choose to rely on roadside service. Some choose to carry a spare and tools to change it themselves, and yet some split the difference...carry a spare that matches their other tires, but have roadside change it for them.

With roadside, it could be hours and hours waiting. Worse if they have to get a tire and wheel for you. Some won't do that. There are blackout areas where they won't even come to help. I say if you can do it, keep a spare and the tools and plan to do it yourself, and even if you need help, at least you have the stuff.

2) Check on the "levelers" and get a manual. They may not be "levelers" but simply "stabilizers" which simply prevent side to side movement. Big difference. You don't want to do damage to you system or rig.

Good luck with the adventure!
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
NavyLCDR

I second what Leisure Time Larry posted. You probably do not leveling jacks on the rear. You have stabilizers. And, yes, there is a difference between the two.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
donchambers

With a Class C coach, you can easily change a flat tire, But if you can't it is important to at least have a spare tire mounted and ready to be changed for you. Here is a link to a spare tire mount for your Coach. https://www.amazon.com/Qualward-Brac...497874&sr=8-12
donchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

THOSE ARE STABILIZERS to reduce SWAY while parked, NOT levelers. REAR should always be UPHILL and Front lifted to level, so that PARKING BRAKE WHEELS REMAIN TOTALLY ON THE GROUND. Use Blocks under tires, if required. STABILIZERS are NOT designed/ not rated to LIFT off the ground. MAKE SURE you have REMINDER AT DRIVER SEAT TO NOT DRIVE OFF w. them down.

Tags
levelers, spare, tire