Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-24-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
Dogleg

Thumbs up 2014 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser 19 RBS

Anyone know about these single axle trailers having problems with bent axle?I had a tire blow out and was told I have a bent axle. Well now triying to get it fixed with no luck. I f anybody has any info on what the replacement axle is or what to do as I see they have had problems with these axles please let me know.
Dogleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
Dogleg

Thumbs up 2014 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser 19 RBS

Anyone know about these single axle trailers having problems with bent axle?I had a tire blow out and was told I have a bent axle. Well now triying to get it fixed with no luck. I f anybody has any info on what the replacement axle is or what to do as I see they have had problems with these axles please let me know.
Dogleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #3
RY469

I've replaced axles for same issue. If you have trouble sourcing a new axle, let me know what the numbers are on the one you have (white sticker on the axle tube), I'll help you find one.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
elmerfud

Default Crappy Lippert torsion axles

Dogleg,

I have a 2012 Visa. They changed the name to Vista Cruiser in 2013. Mine had a 3,500 lb Lippert (China) torsion axle. My GVRW is 3,850 lbs. Can you see the problem right away? The first axle failed in 700 miles. They replaced it ASAP. The second one failed in 500 miles. I called and asked how they could get away with the undersized axle. It was explained to me that 350 lbs are on the tongue. RIGHT!??? I decided that to keep throwing a 3,500 lb axle on a 3,850 lb trailer was stupid. I had my shop replace the crappy Lippert with a 6,000 lb Dexter (USA Made) torsion axle. Dropped right in with a little trimming of the wheel wells. It put the tires about an inch behind the original location. If I had to do it all over again I would replace the whole torsion axle with leaf springs. It can be done, but, you have to weld on some hardware. The frame is also too weak to support the single mounting point of a torsion axle. A leaf spring system mounts on 2 points on each side, cutting the forces on the frame in 1/2.

I agree with Muleman that most trailer repair shops can do the swap. Just be sure to upgrade the axle. Dexter builds all of their axles custom to your specs.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
muleman

I have heard of problems with the axle on some of these trailers around that time I have a 2015 and have never ( knock on wood) had this problem and have pulled it a lot of miles on some rough highways! Find a trailer parts shop there is usually many out there! Not an rv shop but a trailer shop or trailer parts store and they can take care of you not something uncommon and can probably maybe upgrade you to a better axle! This problem was supposedly taken care of around this time but axles can be bent by other things besides quality!
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
scottrvb

I am reading post in regard to axel failure. , however to failure is not noted. is it bearings, hub, spindle or axel? what is causing the failure ?
scottrvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #7
elmerfud

Default Visa/Vista Axle Failures

ScottRVB,

The axle on my trailer is a torsion axle. The rubber tubes inside of the axle frayed and allowed it to sag over 25 degrees. This resulted in contact with the wheel well. The bearings, hub and spindle were fine. I did have the cord separate on the tire on the affected side. Cause or effect?
I believe they replaced the torsion axles with leaf springs on newer trailers.

Elmer
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote