Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
Hotrpod52

Default High Winds

Well..........got the TT home but just barely! Had a viscious gust of wind blow us off the interstate onto the shoulder and take about 5 years off my life!!!
I was reminded that things happen REAL fast when towing, and the unexpected can be catastophic. Common sense and cat-like reflexes(that's a 69YR old cat)prevailed and we parked for the night.(Needed fresh shorts anyway)LOL.

SO..... now that all my confidence has been destroyed, I will yield to the Grace of God and put this camper up for sale. I have decided I prefer to die in bed then in a tangled wreck holding up traffic for miles.
Hotrpod52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Oldflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrpod52 View Post
Well..........got the TT home but just barely! Had a viscious gust of wind blow us off the interstate onto the shoulder and take about 5 years off my life!!!
I was reminded that things happen REAL fast when towing, and the unexpected can be catastophic. Common sense and cat-like reflexes(that's a 69YR old cat)prevailed and we parked for the night.(Needed fresh shorts anyway)LOL.

SO..... now that all my confidence has been destroyed, I will yield to the Grace of God and put this camper up for sale. I have decided I prefer to die in bed then in a tangled wreck holding up traffic for miles.

So....in all your life you have never had a scare? You gonna let a little passing moment of our life dictate you selling your rig?
You must be ready to sell it anyway.
Idea....you learn from the experience and don't travel with the wind that strong.
Now to get bored doing nothing to keep you busy!!
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Hotrpod52

Default High Winds

Was on the fence between Motorhome and TT. This pushed me over. Had many close calls before(this is our third rig) but not this close. Wife has heart issues, don't need to push our luck, we're going the C route. There's an old saying "Trust your instruments" and my instruments are telling me to change rigs,LOL.

Should have mentioned that before.
Hotrpod52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
Oldflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrpod52 View Post
Was on the fence between Motorhome and TT. This pushed me over. Had many close calls before(this is our third rig) but not this close. Wife has heart issues, don't need to push our luck, we're going the C route. There's an old saying "Trust your instruments" and my instruments are telling me to change rigs,LOL.

Should have mentioned that before.

Ohhh...
That makes sense! Moving to a C is great move.

I had a non-tag axle 40' Class A and let me tell you the wind was for sure a problem! You would have to fight to stay in your lane.

I now have a C and while you feel the wind for sure, it doesn't push you all over the lane. It is actually very easy to drive. Don't have the leg room (I'm 6'2") of an A but still comfortable to drive.

Drove mine from CA to Dallas last month when I bought it.
1400 miles and left Friday afternoon at 3 and arrived Sunday afternoon at 3.

Long drive but wasn't uncomfortable other than just sitting for that long.

Didn't matter the speed. Tried 65 and 70. No difference in milage. 8 mpg.
I guess if I was doing 55 or 60 it might.

Enjoy! I got mine from Pops RV. Had a very easy purchase.
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
Tered0712

Default Wndy Conditions

I have the Chev Super C. it has the 8.1 Vortex Gas Engine. It drives like a car. I have been in high wind situations and was amazed that I could not notice any issues. (not hurricane conditions but pretty windy) I guess its fair to say I have kept my shorts clean! (don't ask the wife though) It gets about 8 mpg towing a car. i keep her under 70 mph. It has 10,000 lb towing capacity. I would highly recommend looking into one.
Good Luck
Tered0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:43 AM   #6
Henry111

I added a Pikasola wind turbine to my cabin's scheme to supplement the system in the hours of darkness when the wind is blowing but the sun isn't an element. Surprised by the durability of the merchandise which works well with minimal noise. it's to be perfect if the conditions and also the power is generated as long as the wind lasts. In my setup, it's additionally to alternative energy.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #7
Life on the fishing pier

We left the Gulf and headed north across an intercoastal waterway bridge with 40 MPH west winds. 21 Tundra pulling the VC 23RSS. No problem at all. The sway control of the E2 WDH did it's job. Once I hit I65 and headed N/E I enjoyed some 12+ MPG at 65 MPH for a while.

Tags
24rbs cabin cruiser