Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
LargeCar

Default Which Smoke Detector was here

Look all over this forum and the web and can't seem to find an answer. Which detector was in this location? See picture.

Thanks

LargeCar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210702_105847.jpg (144.8 KB, 12 views)
LargeCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
NavyLCDR

Why not just take the bracket down and install a new smoke detector?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:27 PM   #3
RY469

That was an CO detector, not (just) smoke. I'd get a new one (Combo CO/smoke) from Walmart and replace whole thing like the Lieutenant Commander suggested (cheaper). Is a good idea to keep an active carbon monoxide (CO) detector in the unit.

MCPO USN Ret
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:41 PM   #4
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
That was an CO detector, not (just) smoke. I'd get a new one (Combo CO/smoke) from Walmart and replace whole thing like the Lieutenant Commander suggested (cheaper). Is a good idea to keep an active carbon monoxide (CO) detector in the unit.

MCPO USN Ret
In most RVs, the CO detector is combined with the propane detector, not the smoke detector:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Gas-Dete...fe/RS54FR.html

The combination propane/CO detector is normally a 12 volt device that is either wired directly to the battery, bypassing any battery disconnect switch that might be installed - or it can be wired into the standard 12 volt DC buss via a fuse in the power distribution panel. Usually in the ceiling is a plain 9 volt battery powered smoke only detector. Now, there certainly is nothing wrong with replacing whatever unit was there with a combination CO/Smoke Detector that runs off a 9 volt battery (because there clearly is no wiring visible in the photo for a 12 volt detector). But it is highly unlikely there was a CO detector originally there.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:47 PM   #5
RY469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
In most RVs, the CO detector is combined with the propane detector, not the smoke detector:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Gas-Dete...fe/RS54FR.html

The combination propane/CO detector is normally a 12 volt device that is either wired directly to the battery, bypassing any battery disconnect switch that might be installed - or it can be wired into the standard 12 volt DC buss via a fuse in the power distribution panel. Usually in the ceiling is a plain 9 volt battery powered smoke only detector. Now, there certainly is nothing wrong with replacing whatever unit was there with a combination CO/Smoke Detector that runs off a 9 volt battery (because there clearly is no wiring visible in the photo for a 12 volt detector). But it is highly unlikely there was a CO detector originally there.
I'd agree in many applications. I've replaced many of these otherwise at our Dealership.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
LargeCar

Default found it

It was a Garvan MTS-168/5Y . But i think I'll take the advise here to just replace with a new detector. Just bought the propane gas detector that is at floor level. They are proud of those.

Thanks for all the posts and advise.

LargeCar
LargeCar is offline   Reply With Quote