Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
rdlamb

Default Problems with GS Endura, less with Tour Master

Pardon my venting. This is my first post to any forum.

I grew up on a farm, thus knew about the Chev Kodiac. When I saw the Endura, on a 5500 Kodiac, I rushed head-on into purchasing it. The 36 footer had every option from overhead stereo, Duramax, levelers, Onan quiet diesel generator. We (wife and I), added lots, from closetmaid shelves to an Insta-Hot.
With less than 12,000 miles on it, the list of problems was overwhelming.
Mainly, though, the Endura leaked like a sieve.
The rains on the coast of Oregon are legend. After a few days we noticed the floor was soaked. The ceiling was soaked, and stained. One night the rain really set in, and I watched the sheets of water flow down the bedroom window. Only to realize the water was rushing on the inside of the window.

We called GS, who directed us to a local dealer. Dealer could not get to us for over a week. So we covered what we could with tarps and tried to dry out the interior.

Dealer had the coach for over a month. We made several inspections. The floor sagged, the walls sagged. There was mold in the framing around the air conditioner unit, around the windows, in the floor. We called GS, and "Laurie/sp" was less than helpful.
The Dealer informed us that no sealant was applied during construction, which allowed every window, seam, slide, and installed a/c to leak.

GS refused to do anything other than goo the unit back together. I never received a call from GS. I sent two certified letters to GS, with no answers. Nothing.

We traded for a 2007 42D Tour Master. The Dealer trying to fix our Endura connected us to the head of sales for Tour Master. That conversation gave me enough courage to try another GS product.

The Tour Master looks impressive. We chose the 400 Cummins. All options. We hit the road. Again, the fit and finish was not up to the cost, and quality of the coach.
Water leaks, and slide problems top my list. However, a lot of little issues added up to several visits to Dealers. What I've learned is; if they didn't sell me the coach, they are not interested in providing service. Fortunately, the dealership that sold me the coach has a attentive service manager. Service is no issue, when I'm home.

Eventually, the Tour Master is now "complete." Hopefully. Plenty of power. Tows my Rubicon with no problems. 6.8 to 7.5 miles to the gallon.
Handles well, but better with the added Steer-Safe. Will change the shocks to Bilstein.

Lots more infor if you desire. Cannot recommend the Endura. Can recommend the Tour Master.
Chao

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
RJ82much

Hi Rdlamb,

Welcome to our group. A well written rant. We've all felt a need on various occassions. It's amazing that you stuck with GS after your water problems. You've now experienced what many of us have questioned so often. "How did it get out of the factory like that?" Many of us have visited the factory & taken the tour. We came away impressed after seeing the production process they use, the testing & quality control that goes on at the factory, the courtesy & respect that we're shown.......... Then we read of another horror story like yours, and ask, "How can it ever happen?"

We don't have any answer though.

We often end up blaming the dealer. Sometimes it's a fair accusation, sometimes not. I happen to believe that the dealer shouldn't be burdened in the first place with many of the problems he has to deal with. Often, with the problems he is there to correct, he doesn't want to.

We just don't have the answers.

I have a burning question though. How do you like the Rubicon? I tow a ZR2 offroad Chevy Blazer. It is extremely capable, out of the box from the factory. Unfortunately, the factory chose to not continue their legacy, & with 100k miles on a disposable Blazer, it's near time to choose a successor. There are none (in my book), save the legendary Rubicon. How about creating a new topic in the chat section to tell us a little about your Rubicon, and perhaps your very interesting hobby. I can go on for hours about my ZR2. I know very little about the top-of-the-heap Jeep.

Thanks,

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
coolchas11

Rdlamb, Welcome! I guess we are blessed that we have not had any major issues such as yours. Laurie (?), I have found, can be very difficult to get through to and seems extremely matter of fact when on the phone. I'm curious. Are you finished with the Endura issue? Are the certified letters your last attempt at getting a response? Last fall we had a problem with the company that shipped our daughter's car to CA. I was relentless in getting a resolution (phone calls, certified lettters, Dept. of Consumer Protection) until a check came through to us. Maybe go to Brian Shea (President ?). All in all GS is a good company, but a leaking/flooding vehicle is intolerable. Maybe there are other high level contacts. Charlie
Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
rdlamb

Default Replies

It is very nice to have such quick interest in my post. Thank you.

The Rubicon. Off the rack, i.e. stock, is without equal on the trail. Forget the Hummers. Their wide stance prevents any travel in the woods.
The Rubi comes with a beefier frame, transmission, transfer case, axle lockers front and rear, gnarly tires and an attitude. It is a lot more machine than I am capable/able to max utilize. But here is what we enjoy about towing the Rubi over previous dinghys.

The transfer case allows towing of automatic, or manual transmission jeeps. The Rubi tows extremely well, quickly, and (knock, knock) without a hitch.
We go "off the beaten path" with our Rubi. Fishing, geocaching, running the beach, climbing trails to places we could only visit when we were 18 and could walk there. Not a great vehicle for long road trips. But, why take such a trip when we have the Tour Master? Overall, I'd buy another Jeep (or a Suzuki), for towing ease and use fit to my life style.

I've also towed a Chev Tracker (Suzuki). It also towed very well, had a transfer case, and crawled into the backcountry with ease. I traded it for the Jeep when my wife had a weak moment and granted me my treasured wish. A Jeep.

Now for the Tour Master. Mike Moran (sp) is the head of sales for the Tour Master. Mike alone is responsible for retaining us as GS customers. After the abismal event with our Endura we should have jumped ship to another RV company. Overall, I'm satisfied. Ask me in another year if I'm still endeavored with the company.
I'll take your advice and write Mr. Shea.

Funny though. When we took the Tour Master back to our dealer for repairs, there sat our old Endura. Along with six others! It seems our old Endura was back for "one of many" repairs. Another Endura was completely dismantled due to water leaking. All other Enduras on the lot were being highly detailed by the Dealer prior to selling, as the Dealer was worried about having them back for warranty issues.

I'd compare the Kodiac w/Duramax to any vehicle in that class. But the GS "RV" addition just is not worth the aggrevation. We lost tens of thousands of dollars in costs.

Well, enough ranting. We travel tomorrow and I must prepare for it.
Thanks for the concerns, questions, and advice. I appreciate it.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote