Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
jrf2

Default Just purchased an '02 8378

Purchased this unit with 26K on the Ford chassis and drove it home over the weekend.

The trip home was 400+ miles and went without a hitch. (Getting to the dealer to drive it home is another story. United cancelled our connection out of O'Hare and this posed more than a few challenges) Drives well with good power. Having the entire chassis and drive-line inspected and will have our local RV dealer going over the coach systems next week.

Any insight or tips about this unit would be welcome. Looking forward to the summer in our first Class A.
jrf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
jab

Default Welcome

My wife and I have a 03. We live on Ohio but I am from Pa about 40 years ago. Where do you live in Pa? We love our Gulfstream. Bought it used two years ago.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
jrf2

Default Mechanically it is good.

We live in Greensburg and are originally from the State College area. This past weekend we weighed our motorhome for titling in PA and when we went to leave I started the furnace. It worked fine but will not start again since.

Is there a reset on the furnace that I am missing?

Do you have a recommendation for learning all the systems and switches? The manuals that came with this are not real helpful. Online the only GS manual I found is of little use.

Have you travelled much in your GS? I also have a house battery drain I haven't found yet. Something simple, I would imagine being totally unfamiliar with the unit at this time.

Thanks for the response. Ford or GM chassis on your GS?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
mfa

Default Re: Mechanically it is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrf2
... This past weekend we weighed our motorhome for titling in PA and when we went to leave I started the furnace. It worked fine but will not start again since.

Is there a reset on the furnace that I am missing?

... I also have a house battery drain I haven't found yet. Something simple, I would imagine being totally unfamiliar with the unit at this time.
The furnace will not work if your house battery is low and you are not plugged in to external power.

How fast a battery drain are you talking about? You should have a 12-volt power kill switch that you throw before storing your unit. If you don't cut the power, the propane alarm will drain the house battery in a couple of weeks.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
jrf2

Default Thanks.....

That explains everything.
Running the furnace Saturday I did not run the generator as I was driving to the scale. The fan would drain the batteries.
Ran gen Sunday and got back to full charge. Needed jump pack to fire the generator. Did not try furnace after charging.
Did not think about LP alarm, makes sense. There are 3 master power switches in this GS.
One at entry door that doesn't appear to cut power to much of anything. One on each house battery. Will make sure they are turned off in the future.
The learning curve.
Thank you for your help and insight.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
zzrv

If you call Gulf Stream with the VIN of your unit, they will (anyway, they used to) send you a complete set of manuals specifically for your coach.

Good Luck, and enjoy!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
jrf2

Default Thanks, we will give them a call....

There is so much negative info about the GS factory on the web, we didn't know if contacting them would be worth the time. Thank you for the response, we will give them a call and post our results here at conclusion.

Our 8378 is at our local RV dealer and they are going over the coach. They have found a minor water leak and are tracking it down. Replacing the following, pump for the ice maker, (froze & broke, not winterized properly) toilet w/sprayer, (not necessary, upgrade), door lockset, (no key for original) drivers fan, one slide gasket and the element for the water heater.

Additionally, they are cleaning the roof and exterior. They have tested the entire water system, back flushed the holding tanks and santized all tanks, servicing the generator and completing the recall on the fridge.

They are a great dealer here in PA, their service is awesome and there work is always excellent.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
flinter

Default New guys with same RV

Hi jrf2
Looks like you and i have the same RV and I'm new with my, have not ever put water in the line yet.
What you said about the fridge recall??
Have you found manuals on your unit??
I'm learning slowly with my but would love to have manuals.
flinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
zzrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrv
If you call Gulf Stream with the VIN of your unit, they will (anyway, they used to) send you a complete set of manuals specifically for your coach.

Good Luck, and enjoy!
Try this, flinter.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
flinter

I will try tks zzrv
flinter is offline   Reply With Quote