Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #21
deplorablemike

We have a 19erd also.Can't speak about other manufacturers,but ours although nice has issues with quality.Employees need to use a tape measure and a square."Eyeball engineering"doesn't cut it.I've spent many,,but many hours cleaning up some of the messes I've come across.Water tank loosely strapped,bathroom door hit stub wall when opened,crappy wire covers in dinette storage compartments,drawer slides not parallel-so drawers hard to close,all the plastic door jamb caps glued on with silicone all came loose because it didn't adhere properly.Fortunately I can repair all their mistakes properly.
deplorablemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #22
Flower

I agree with the above the RV industry has very poor quality and people have been complaining for years. But I agree with Farmer Fran I have owned two forest river campers and the quality is much better with our Gulfstrean Vista Cruiser 19BFD. Our Vista Cruiser has plywood for the kitchen counter top the forest river campers we owned used MDF which doesn't do well when it gets wet that kind of quality makes a difference. If people ask me about buying a camper I tell them I don't recommend buying one they are not worth the problems.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #23
texassilenthero

I bought a 21 Kingsport 268BHS in October. I’ve seen nothing but QC issues throughout and poor workmanship and corner cutting. My interior molding is bowing throughout. I’ve had leaks in the bathtub plumbing and sink plumbing. The bathtub looks like a 5th grader installed it. They’ve used staples on the wood fittings throughout the bench seating which is ridiculous. In the Kingsport models they drain the shower and bathroom sink gray water into the black water tank which I think is ridiculous. The kitchen sink has a separate gray water tank. The a/c thermostat doesn’t work properly. All of the clothing rods in the various closets are installed so close to the walls you can’t hang things. And the list goes on. I purchased mine at Funtown RV in Wharton Texas.
texassilenthero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #24
Seadog63

Default Quality control

I agree! I’ve a 2020 conquest 33 foot class C, as to date it’s been minor fit and Finnish, where the screws they use aren’t used in the proper areas to keep things in place. Fortunately I’m mechanically inclined and have resolved all of the issues. One member stated they found screws on the roof stuck in silicone. Sad state of affairs and as one gentleman stated it’s across the board. Overall I’m satisfied with this class C .
Seadog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #25
RY469

Default Cost

If RV manufacturers achieved the level of quality as something like a jet aircraft, you would not be able to afford the unit you have. It takes time and money to achieve quality. That equates to higher purchase price. So they do the best they can, and still produce an RV under cost and time lines to keep them affordable. RV Techs at the dealerships catch many things during a PDI (predelivery inspection), but there are always things that need owner attention.

There are companies that spend more time on their units, like INTECH. But you can buy three Gulf streams for the price of one comparable INTECH.

We could also talk about the trade offs of weight Vs construction/material integrity. Like using 2x2' instead of 2x4's and the light weight cabinets, mattresses, etc. But that's another rant for another day.

(I am an RV Tech, and own a Gulf Stream, if it matters).

The olé' teeter totter of cost Vs Quality
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote