Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #1
Rvguy

Default Sway bar and steering stabilizer

Hello
I have a 2008 international 4200 gulfstream endura vt365. Looking to add front and rear sway bars. Steering stabilizer and front shocks.

Any suggestions? Part numbers. You all have done so I can work on this upgrade

Thank you
Rvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:40 AM   #2
evh5150

I upgraded my rig with Bilstein shocks and Roadmaster sway bars and steering stabilizer for my Ford E350 chassis.
Noticeable positive results.
Can't help with part numbers for your rig but their websites should provide with what you need.
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:16 AM   #3
Rvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
I upgraded my rig with Bilstein shocks and Roadmaster sway bars and steering stabilizer for my Ford E350 chassis.
Noticeable positive results.
Can't help with part numbers for your rig but their websites should provide with what you need.
Thank you for the feedback.

I'll look into that. My rig doesn't have shocks in the back just on leaf springs. Did you add anything in the back?
And for the front I shocks and a bump stop. You just replaced with new shocks only?
Old 08-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
evh5150

Rvg.
The Ford chassis has shocks front and rear. All 4 shocks upgraded to Bilsteins.
The existing front sway bar was upgraded to a more robust Roadmaster sway bar.
The existing steering damper was upgraded to a Roadmaster steering damper.
There was no rear sway bar. I added a Roadmaster sway bar there.
I am surprised you have no rear shocks to provide damping to those leaf springs?
Hope this helps!
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #5
Rvguy

I'll have to double check the rear leaf springs to make sure. Last time I checked I didn't see any shocks in the back. I'll check again today. Thank you for the quick reply
Old 08-19-2022, 12:40 PM   #6
Rvguy

Just checked. No rear shocks. Just sitting on leaf springs. My rig is rated to tow 15k. Maybe because of the beefy frame. Not sure.
But I think with the upgrades you mentioned below will help the sway control
Old 08-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
Rvguy

I've also seen pictures of people adding leak helpers. And sumo or bilestin springs near the bump stoppers to help. I don't know much about that.
But since I don't have shock in the back. Maybe if I have the room I can add the springs to help or leaf helpers. I'll have to read about the two.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:15 PM   #8
Vinnie

Roadmaster has front and rear anti-sway bar kits for the 4200 but it does not look like they have a steering stabilizer. There are several threads on here about International chassis upgrades to include full air suspensions for the rear.

https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/...%2F4400+Series
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
Rvguy

Thank you for the link I will take a look!
Old 08-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #10
Rvguy

Thank you for sending the link. I had some wrong part numbers. Much appreciated. Got the front and rear sway bars.
Next is a Steering stabilizer. Front shocks and springs. And possibly rear springs or leaf helper.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:29 AM   #11
Tonyf

Just saw this post and it reminded me to post an update, I just did all this last spring, attached is the link.

https://www.gsowners.com/forums/show...7577#post37577
Old 08-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #12
Rvguy

Oh man. Thank you so much!!!!
This will help me
I need to do something to my 4200. It sways. It rolls when I turn into driveways or sharp turns. Needs some upgrade love.
I'll read your post now
Old 08-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #13
Rvguy

Did you add the rubber springs in the front, front sway bar and new front shocks before this post?
Old 08-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #14
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguy View Post
Did you add the rubber springs in the front, front sway bar and new front shocks before this post?
Mine had front shocks, so just left them. So far, I have done nothing to the front suspension. I started down this path, because mine, like most 4200's rode terrible in the back, during testing my wife sat on the bed and it actually threw her off, she was laughing so hard she had tears streaming down her face. Mine never swayed much stock, but once I added the rubber springs in the back, it picked up some sway. the idea behind the Timbrens was to lift the rear sightly off the OEM rubber springs (blocks actually) to soften the ride a bit.

For the best ride, full air ride is the way to go, but even then you'll need good shocks, anti-sway bars etc. I was unwilling to put that much money into an older coach.

I'm planning a front stabilizer, but will probably have to fabricate brackets, can't find one aftermarket. Driving in a cross wind is no fun.

When I spoke to Road Master, they said most people start with the rear sway bar as it makes the most difference, then if it's not enough, add the front bar later. Good advice as the bars are about a grand apiece.

I think the new King shocks will cure any last remaining issues. Unfortunately, they are pricy too, I may just start by replacing the rear shocks and see how it goes.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:50 AM   #15
Rvguy

I see ok good to know. I'll start in the rear.
My motorhome sways a little when we have cross winds. But I hate that it rolls tilts when turning sharp into driveways ect. Scary feeling. Haha
The ride in the back for sure is rough.

I'll order the rear sway bars. Shocks and timbres for rear.

Was it all direct bolt on or had to drill new holes?
I was looking at your pictures and wasn't sure.
I saw on timbres website they have only 1 model that fits ours so I'm hoping it'd the same one you added.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:30 AM   #16
Tonyf

Quote:
I see ok good to know. I'll start in the rear.
My motorhome sways a little when we have cross winds. But I hate that it rolls tilts when turning sharp into driveways ect. Scary feeling. Haha
The ride in the back for sure is rough.

I'll order the rear sway bars. Shocks and timbres for rear.

Was it all direct bolt on or had to drill new holes?
I was looking at your pictures and wasn't sure.
I saw on timbres website they have only 1 model that fits ours so I'm hoping it'd the same one you added.
Call Timbren before you order, they have many more models not listed on their website. Mine was not listed, we went thru several variations before we got the correct parts. Just because GS says it's a 2008, it may be a year older, 2007 or so. It's my understanding Navistar went thru a lot of midyear changes. They will probably have you crawl underneath and take some measurements. They are direct bolt on using the existing OEM rubber spring holes, which stay on. The motorhome will have to be jacked up by the frame so the axle hangs free.

The shock mounts and rollbar brackets all require drilling thru the frame. Navistar has guidance for this, mainly just stay in the center of the main channel, don't drill near the top and bottom of the C, I think 1.6 inch in from the top, 2" from bottom. YMMV. Also, its good practice to never cut, drill or weld on the top and bottom of any frame. Don't call me if your MH splits in two. The Roadmaster stuff has everything located for you, so no worries there.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #17
Rvguy

Awesome thank you for the quick response.
I will give them a call. Much appreciated. I'll have to get work on this. I'm in texas weather has cooled down this week
Old 08-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #18
Rvguy

I called timbren. The gal I spoke to seemed to just go off their website part numbers. And showed only 2 part numbers. One for the front and one for the rear.
Msr001 front. And RES001 for the rear. And said drilling or welding may be required. I'd rather not drill new holes if I can get away with using the existing bump stop/ spring holes. My other option I was considering leaf axel helpers ( they are direct bolt on) but I am unsure if they work the same as timbren springs or not.

Do you by any chance remember part number you used?

Thank you very much for all the help.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #19
Tonyf

Quote:
I called timbren. The gal I spoke to seemed to just go off their website part numbers. And showed only 2 part numbers. One for the front and one for the rear.
Msr001 front. And RES001 for the rear. And said drilling or welding may be required. I'd rather not drill new holes if I can get away with using the existing bump stop/ spring holes. My other option I was considering leaf axel helpers ( they are direct bolt on) but I am unsure if they work the same as timbren springs or not.

Do you by any chance remember part number you used?

Thank you very much for all the help.
After much back and forth with Amelie at Timbren, I ordered BDR750A thru Summit racing, one of their distributors. Its non-stock item, and Summit actually had to add the part number to their ordering system so I could order it, which itself took a few days. The BDR750A are 10 inches between the holes and is 3.125 inches from hole center to bottom of the frame.

There is a BDR750, (note minus the A) which has different measurements, which is why I suggested you'll need to provide Timbren with some measurements specific to your MH.

Be aware that with the first order via Summit, Timbren sent the wrong ones, so had to wait again for the correct ones. The entire process took a few weeks.

I don't believe these rubber springs will solve your sway problem, could even make it worse. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #20
Rvguy

Thank you for the detailed message much appreciated again. I have ordered front and rear anti swaybars.
Hopefully the rubber stops help a little bit with the ride and I am in the process to order a safe plus T stabilizer taking some measurements now.