Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #1
Caveman

Default MPG inquiry

I have a1995 20’ conquest limited with a 460 Ford fuel injection engine. I am only getting 7 mpg. Driving 65mph. Is this about right? I replaced the plugs. It runs smooth but I thought it would get around 9 or 10. It’s all stock.

Thanks for your replies
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
Chuck v

Your current gas mileage for a 25 year old gasoline big block design does not seem outlandish at all. What is your mileage at 55 MPH? -- driving faster really drinks the fuel rapidly as the air resistance goes up non-linearly with speed.

Do you have the factory recommended tire sizes and running at the proper inflation?? Have you put on a scale, and VERIFIED that it is not overweight??

If you have an accurate tachometer, what is the engine RPM at each of those speeds, as that might indicate if any optional gearing is involved here...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
Caveman

Default Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Your current gas mileage for a 25 year old gasoline big block design does not seem outlandish at all. What is your mileage at 55 MPH? -- driving faster really drinks the fuel rapidly as the air resistance goes up non-linearly with speed.

Do you have the factory recommended tire sizes and running at the proper inflation?? Have you put on a scale, and VERIFIED that it is not overweight??

If you have an accurate tachometer, what is the engine RPM at each of those speeds, as that might indicate if any optional gearing is involved here...

Chuck
I was just wondering . My weight and tires are correct. I had a 91 holiday rambler 30’ class a with the same engine. As big as it was, it got about the same mileage. I was concerned that my catalytic converter might be bad and hindering my mileage.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
Chuck v

The HP (and fuel consumption) needed to push a full size RV through the air is almost entirely related to frontal area, since so little streamlining is applied to these vehicles. Once you start to climb grades, the weight is another factor in how much work the engine has to do... If your present rig is the same width and height as your prior class A then it makes sense that they have similar mileage performance on the flat highway.

You certainly should verify the proper condition of all your systems like exhaust, etc. but your expectation of attainable mileage might need a re-evaluation as well...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
[email protected]

You may have a 4:11 or 4:56 rear differential. I think that’s what they came with.
awgentile@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote