Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-16-2021, 06:52 PM   #1
NERoamer

Default Battery charging Question

Hi again, back with another question.

I've been trying to do the research on how much and often to be plugged in to maintain the battery (12 V deep cycle). I've read and heard lots of info about discharging, sulfation etc. That it's good to be plugged in but not all the time as it leads to overcharging.

Basically we have every other weekend booked through the Summer and early Fall and 2 weeklong trips. So far, I've honestly just been plugging in to shore power at home a few days prior to the trip to get the fridge going and we're using all sites with E service this season so we're plugged in at the site as well.

I'm trying to determine what the best thing is I should be doing in the time in between. Is it fine to be un-plugged for 10 days or so and if not where should I adjust. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
NERoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #2
Yukon Jack

Hello.
In my 5210 it has a WFCO 8900 series charger. It is a three stage charger. The last stage is a float charge designed to keep the battery topped off and not over charged. If you see yours is the same you can leave it plugged in. Or, to leave it unplugged is OK too. I use the battery disconnect to make sure there is no drain on the battery and then l plug it in every couple of weeks. When I am working in the coach.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
NERoamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Hello.
In my 5210 it has a WFCO 8900 series charger. It is a three stage charger. The last stage is a float charge designed to keep the battery topped off and not over charged. If you see yours is the same you can leave it plugged in. Or, to leave it unplugged is OK too. I use the battery disconnect to make sure there is no drain on the battery and then l plug it in every couple of weeks. When I am working in the coach.

Thanks Yukon Jack,

No float charge on my battery from what I can tell. It seems a shut off switch can be installed which seems like a good idea at some point. No battery disconnect switch in my trailer.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
lets go

If you leave it plugged in all the time you need to check water levels in battery more often and only use distilled water for topping off. I leave mine plugged in all the time and have to add water twice a year
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
Yukon Jack

What is the make and model of your charger?
Old 06-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
NERoamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
What is the make and model of your charger?
Sorry Yukon, just getting back and seeing this now. Do you mean the battery? It's a Interstate. Don't know the model number. I don't have a separate charger,....should I?
Old 06-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
Yukon Jack

I was asking about your on board charger. It may have a multi level charge system and could include a float charge to keep batteries topped up.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Answer varies by rig, based on battery condition/ age/ charge, and also on phantom loads. I have only 1-USB power socket w/ LED and LPG ALARM that are phantom, others w/ LPG solenoid will have BIG drain. Mine I experimented, monitoring battery, Unplugged 2-weeks w/ battery switch= ON had NO Noticeable effect. Battery 4yo, previous was 7yo. LUCK
Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #9
Larryjb

Greetings, I am a new member having just purchased a 2021 - 5210 and I have a charging question. In my previous Roadtreks I had an Isolator control unit that helped in the charging of the house batteries and the "under the hood" battery.

I could stay plugged in all the time and the house charger kept the chassis battery charged fully charged at the same rate as the house batteries.

This BT does not have this feature as far as I can determine. Any way to keep the Ford battery charged using the house charger?

So fa, I like this BT crusier, however if I fill the water tank and I am facing downhill in the driveway, water runs out on the floor from the front of the fresh water tank.
I hope this is the right forum to pose questions?
Thanks for any thoughts on the charging issue.
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
Yukon Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Greetings, I am a new member having just purchased a 2021 - 5210 and I have a charging question. In my previous Roadtreks I had an Isolator control unit that helped in the charging of the house batteries and the "under the hood" battery.

I could stay plugged in all the time and the house charger kept the chassis battery charged fully charged at the same rate as the house batteries.

This BT does not have this feature as far as I can determine. Any way to keep the Ford battery charged using the house charger?

So fa, I like this BT crusier, however if I fill the water tank and I am facing downhill in the driveway, water runs out on the floor from the front of the fresh water tank.
I hope this is the right forum to pose questions?
Thanks for any thoughts on the charging issue.
I do not think the chassis battery will charge from the house charger. I could be wrong so if someone else knows, please chime in. Your chassis charger will charge the house battery though. My power breaker under the hood was tripped so would not charge until I reset it.
As for the water, you should probably take that into the dealer to check it out. It should not do that.