Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #1
bwilber25

Default Tires

My GS Conquest 198BH needs new rubber. It currently has cheap Hi Run ST bias ply tires on it. Is there an advantage to switching to radials. We only use it once a month or so for maximum three-hour trips. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to get a good set of either?
Old 06-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

ST Trailer tires required
Old 06-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
bwilber25

I intend to buy ST tires. I just wondered if it was worth it to switch to ST radials from ST bias ply.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
S.L. Pulley

I am not familiar with the "model number" of your RV, so I do not know if it is a "trailer" or a Class A or Class C RV. If it is not a "trailer" type of RV, then you must remember that YOUR LIFE and the LIVES OF FAMILY MEMBERS are riding on those tires. Don't be CHEAP even if you only occasionally use that RV. Buy GOOD TIRES!

I have MICHELIN TIRES on my 2005 Class C Gulfstream RV. (DO NOT BUY COOPER TIRES!) I have lots to say about the FAILURE OF COOPER TIRES on my RV. The tread on TWO of the six brand new Cooper Tires that I bought completely CAME OFF at the most inopportune times (two separate trips) and I asked Cooper Tires to completely replace the set of six tires due to what clearly was a manufacturing issue on their part. They did NOT stand behind their product, so I had the Cooper Tires REMOVED and replaced them with MICHELINS.
S.L. Pulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
bwilber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.L. Pulley View Post
I am not familiar with the "model number" of your RV, so I do not know if it is a "trailer" or a Class A or Class C RV. If it is not a "trailer" type of RV, then you must remember that YOUR LIFE and the LIVES OF FAMILY MEMBERS are riding on those tires. Don't be CHEAP even if you only occasionally use that RV. Buy GOOD TIRES!

I have MICHELIN TIRES on my 2005 Class C Gulfstream RV. (DO NOT BUY COOPER TIRES!) I have lots to say about the FAILURE OF COOPER TIRES on my RV. The tread on TWO of the six brand new Cooper Tires that I bought completely CAME OFF at the most inopportune times (two separate trips) and I asked Cooper Tires to completely replace the set of six tires due to what clearly was a manufacturing issue on their part. They did NOT stand behind their product, so I had the Cooper Tires REMOVED and replaced them with MICHELINS.
It is a travel trailer with one axle. It had cheap Hi Run (Chinese) bias ply tires on it and one of them was about to pop. I think I overloaded that side and since I had to leave the campsite in the middle of the night, I did not check the pressures, and it was a little low.

Since I am going to replace both tires, I thought why not upgrade to radials and see if they hold up better? I have bought Carlisle radials because 1. they are made in the USA, and 2. Reviews on multiple websites give them high marks.

Thank you for your response, and rest assured, I never skimp on tires nor brakes. I was a mechanic for 35 years, and I could tell you some stories that would leave you speechless.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #6
FL_Matt

whether it is a trailer, car, or motorcycle, if you have a choice between bias and radial ply, always go radial. The ply direction refers to how the layers of rubber are laid on top of each other. Radial ply tires run cooler because of how they flex when they rotate. Cooler tires are more efficient and last longer.

Since you said you intend to buy ST, I'm sure you know this already, but I'll emphasize this for those who don't: ST tires are required for trailers because they are stronger and typically have more plies. regular car tires have a lower load capacity and your single axle trailer will kill them.

Check tire stores for good ST replacements. Do not buy the ones from WalMart or Amazon. I got Walmart tires for a utility trailer in a pinch and they barely made it a year before the treads ripped off
FL_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:25 AM   #7
Henry111

I bought two trailer tires and they arrived daily early. The manufacturer code shows 1422, but 5 months from the delivery date. Got the correct size and they look great! Carlisle tires are top quality and pass the tryout therefore the price here is way not up to anywhere else I've found.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote