Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
Brian Wilson

Default 92 Sun Voyager #8324: Is $5k Good Price

Intending to purchase this diesel MH if price good. Am confused as Nada guide said retail 8.5-14k retail but see asking prices much more but what do they actually fetch. Friend owns, has 68k, new tires and roof seal, all appliances work and looks nice and clean. Can I assume is worth at least 10k on quick sale?

Any input would be appreciated today 9/14/19 as visiting him Sun to buy..thanks, Brian
Brian Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 AM   #2
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
Intending to purchase this diesel MH if price good. Am confused as Nada guide said retail 8.5-14k retail but see asking prices much more but what do they actually fetch. Friend owns, has 68k, new tires and roof seal, all appliances work and looks nice and clean. Can I assume is worth at least 10k on quick sale?

Any input would be appreciated today 9/14/19 as visiting him Sun to buy..thanks, Brian
At that age it's either worth $15000+ or nothing.

I think you would be much better off with a nice gas motorhome that is a little newer and well kept, like mine. Can't go wrong.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
DolceFarNiente

I found much the same as you in my area; even older 1990s diesels were scarce and selling in the $17-$25 K range. NADA values are way off for both older gassers and diesels, in my experience.

I paid $21K (after 7 months of searching) for my 97 38' Sun Voyager with a single slide in good condition, and felt I got a fair deal. Its also true that markets will be different in different regions and a single national value just isn't going to cut it.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceFarNiente View Post
I found much the same as you in my area; even older 1990s diesels were scarce and selling in the $17-$25 K range. NADA values are way off for both older gassers and diesels, in my experience.

I paid $21K (after 7 months of searching) for my 97 38' Sun Voyager with a single slide in good condition, and felt I got a fair deal. Its also true that markets will be different in different regions and a single national value just isn't going to cut it.
I used to think I wanted a diesel motor coach.
Some members here complained about the power, horsepower and torque, of their diesel engines. Made me wonder because I thought that was what a diesel engine had as an advantage. My V-10 gas coach always has enough power to pull my 10000 lb trailer up a mountain.
Then when I help people here diagnose and repair their diesel motor coaches I see how much more complicated and expensive a diesel is to repair.
I made some horsepower comparisons and figured out I was much better off with the gas v-10 all around. Especially if your coach is low miles like mine, 54,000 miles.

Then the slide issues come up all the time here. One right after another. They leak. They get stuck. Many electrical problems. A general hassle for that extra room ONLY when parked. So I figured I was better off without a slide.

Took over 20 years to figure it out. Now I have some extra money and can upgrade to a newer motor coach so I'm willing to let this one that was my pride and joy for a long time go. Brings a tear to my eye though.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
DolceFarNiente

Fortunately everyone is allowed their own opinions based on their own experiences.

I have owned both gassers and diesels, with and without slides and say unequivocably that I prefer my current rig to any gasser I've ever owned.

Just finished a 7000 mile trip through Canada and Alaska and my Cat diesel ran up and down the steepest longest grades with no issues and in fact performed pretty much flawlessly in every respect. 9.76 mpg average for the whole trip; not bad for this big old beast.

As for slides... *shrug* never had one fail, personally, and I will always spend more time parked than rolling, even when I drive every day. The extra room makes a huge difference in liveability, to me. Not every slide is really useful or well-designed, of course, but that's part of due diligence when purchaseing.

I'm glad you like the set-up you have; if we all wanted the same thing, competition for purchaseing a motor home would be too fierce!
Old 09-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
Restorium

Quote:
Fortunately everyone is allowed their own opinions based on their own experiences.

I have owned both gassers and diesels, with and without slides and say unequivocably that I prefer my current rig to any gasser I've ever owned.

Just finished a 7000 mile trip through Canada and Alaska and my Cat diesel ran up and down the steepest longest grades with no issues and in fact performed pretty much flawlessly in every respect. 9.76 mpg average for the whole trip; not bad for this big old beast.

As for slides... *shrug* never had one fail, personally, and I will always spend more time parked than rolling, even when I drive every day. The extra room makes a huge difference in liveability, to me. Not every slide is really useful or well-designed, of course, but that's part of due diligence when purchaseing.

I'm glad you like the set-up you have; if we all wanted the same thing, competition for purchaseing a motor home would be too fierce!
My experience is with the 100s of people that pass through here at the website.

Many complain about their diesel engines. And when they go down they go down hard. No one ever complains about a Ford V-10 gas engine. Definitely more dependable.

Slides have been the number one complaint here. Constantly malfunctioning. Leaking. Electrical problems. Drive problems. Some coaches are ruined by slides. None of that happens if you don't have any. You are in a better position of strength without them, no doubt about it.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
DolceFarNiente

No offence, but the fact that you read an RV forum with "hundreds" of posters provides you with little or no actual expertise in diesel engines or motor homes in general. This GS forum in particular is small and not well-trafficked; you might care to expand your reading to other, larger forums for a wider perspective?

You are completely entitled to your own beliefs and preferences, but it is remarkably arrogant of you to make blanket statements which are provably untrue, and claim them as universal truths.

Good luck selling your gasser. I'm done with this thread, which was started by someone wanting some feedback on pricing, not looking for your approval of his choices.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
Restorium

Quote:
No offence, but the fact that you read an RV forum with "hundreds" of posters provides you with little or no actual expertise in diesel engines or motor homes in general. This GS forum in particular is small and not well-trafficked; you might care to expand your reading to other, larger forums for a wider perspective?

You are completely entitled to your own beliefs and preferences, but it is remarkably arrogant of you to make blanket statements which are provably untrue, and claim them as universal truths.

Good luck selling your gasser. I'm done with this thread, which was started by someone wanting some feedback on pricing, not looking for your approval of his choices.
Take a chill. I was just having a conversation with you. My ideas count too. How could you possible have any idea of my experience(s)?
Learn to accept others. I do appreciate you.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Washington travler

I would say 5k is an excellent price as long as everything mechanical works. The retail is about 15,000 up for a diesel.
Washington travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Brian Wilson

Default 92 Sun Voyager: HELP: Can't post and moderator not reply either

Problem solved, as somehow posted. Have posted a thread to this subject yesterday but never got posted. Listed the Sun Voyager for sale but never appeared. Any body can help?..Brian Will see if this appears
Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
Brian Wilson

Default 92 Sun Voyager Dsl

Thanks all for your input. I purchased it and am thrilled...Brian
Old 09-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
RayChez1

I will say that for five thousand, you are not even paying for the diesel engine if it is in good condition. I have also had both gasoline 36 foot motor home which I bought brand new. I kept it for six months and five thousand miles on it. The coach weight 19K lbs, had a V-10 Ford engine. Good engine, but does not compare with a diesel engine. I got rid of it right away after going through some strong cross winds coming out of Zion and driving to Las Vegas. I thought the motor home was going to roll over. I was all over the road and a very scary situation. I drove into Las Vegas and traded it in for a diesel pusher, brand new. Like I said before, there is no comparison. Diesel wins on every aspect as to which is better. I have had my diesel coach now since April 2003 with a Cat engine and now has 75K miles on it, and it is actually just breaking in that engine. It took 60K miles for the Cat engine to break in and is running perfect. I would say go with a diesel over a gasoline. No comparison what so ever. Diesels engines are good for a minimum of 400K and a max of a million miles. Gasoline engines at 150K miles are at a period where they will need an over haul because gasoline engines rev at a high rpm and it takes a toll on the wear. I am a retired mechanical supervisor and I do know engines.

Now as to the coach for sale, there are many factors in purchasing a used motor home. It does raise a red flag as to why the person is selling it so cheap. Might be something serious is wrong with the superstructure or other mechanical problems which could cost a lot of money. But that goes with any purchase of a used coach. Have an expert check it out and test drive it, and that way you can get a better picture as to what you are going or not going to buy.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote