Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
R&A-DE

Default What Does That "Solar" Plug Do?

On the front exterior of our Conquest Lite 238RK, there's a a socket labeled "Furrion Solar Charge 10A". There is no discussion about any solar provisions in our packet. I asked Gulf Stream support about it, and the reply was: "It is the solar inlet wired into the 12 volt system with an 10 amp inline fuse." I know enough to be dangerous, but I have to imagine there's more to it than that.
Does anyone have any insight as to what is actually under the hood?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210406_133134.jpg (224.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210406_155519.jpg (173.2 KB, 12 views)
R&A-DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Chuck v

That connection allows an accessory solar panel to be used to maintain the battery charge when storing the trailer away from utility power. The factory's description is adequate and complete...it is an input to the RV from the external solar panel, if you have one. The plug is polarized, so if using a panel not from the Furrion Company, be sure to follow their convention on polarity.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
evh5150

You will also need a Solar Charge Controller between your solar panels and your battery. This controller will charge your battery to a max of 14.4 bolts then go into Float Mode so not to overcharge and subsequently damage your battery.
I would be surprised if Gulfstream actually provided an inline Solar Charge Controller. My 2021 BT5210 outside solar plug connects directly to the battery terminals. No Solar Charge Controller present.
This controller can go external to your RV after solar panels or hardwired onboard to your RV before your battery.
Hope this helps.
Try to get an MPPT controller and not a PWM controller.MPPT cost slightly more but more efficient.
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
RY469

Default PWM Vs MPPT

No sense getting a MPPT charge controller for such an application. Cost too much. It only comes in handy when solar panel voltage is above the 12VDC range (like multiple panels in series). Most add-on panels for the external connection on your RV are open voltage 18VDC, connected they are in the 12 - 14 VDC range (as they should be to keep batteries happy). A PWM charge controller works great with these type panels. BTW, Harbor Freight has a nice set of panels that plug right in, with controller. Keep in mind when you connect the charge controller, it is healthy (for the controller) to connect batteries first. As the output, with only solar panels connected, would be open and not good on the output circuit of the controller. I have both panels on my roof hardwired in, and a set of Harbor Freight panels I can plug in. Along with two AGM groups 31's I have over 200AH of boondocking power, and the panels do a good job of keeping up during daytime.

I'm not promoting Harbor Freight, they are just a good reference. Actually I'm an Electrical Engineer and a RV Service Technician. I also enjoy my Gulf Stream Aerolite.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulated
MPPT = Maximum Power Point Tracking
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote