Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Anita L.

Default Just waiting for delivery of our first ever travel trailer..

Hi All,
We are new to camping (I'm an old backpack and hiking boots camper, my husband is happier at the Hilton.. so we compromised and purchased a 2021 Vintage Cruiser RSK).. anyhow.. we got word that it has been delivered to the dealership, but we're unable to pick it up for awhile as my husband wants to go over everything with the tech people prior to pick up. All that aside. . are there any hints for first time campers that will get us up and running fast as soon as this little beauty is attached to our vehicle?

I ordered the diverter that sends cold water from the shower back to the tank while waiting for it to heat up (so we're not filling our grey water tank with fresh clean water). We have read and read, we'll take our first few trips with friends who did travel medicine for a few years, but other Vintage owners (I really hope we don't have the brake issues I just read about!!) if you have any hacks we should be doing or any good maintenance tips (things like the maintaining tire pressure that I just read) I would be really grateful!

Anita
Anita L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
Flower

Congratulations on your new camper hope you have many happy and safe camping adventures. My only recommendation would be if you don't already have one is to use a weight distribution hitch and to drive slow and carefully especially until you get familiar with towing the camper. We have a Vista 19bfd and have enjoyed it very much only wish we have more time to use it.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
Anita L.

Thanks Flower! We did get the weight distribution thing so we should be good there. We’re looking forward to nw adventures for sure!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
VaHappyCamper

Default Congratulations

Congratulations on your purchase. I was in the same place as you are a few years ago. I spent a lot of time going through YouTube videos (you'll quickly learn which posters are more realistic than others) and learned more than all the advice that had been given to me. You will be amazed at how much you can learn and have the videos to see what they are talking about.
Good luck and a lot of happy camping.
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Uofu4u2

If you haven't picked it up yet, when you do check all retainer screws on bulb sconces. Also, make sure when you tap on the interior speakers, they don't fall down ( had to build backing plates for mine, they cut the holes to big ). Make sure you have the bottom bracket on fridge panel, not so noticeable, our panel fell out and broke a corner. Might check wiring for brake dis-connect on frame out front, ours wore through on first trip requiring roadside electrical work.
Uofu4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
RayChez1

Looks like a nice travel trailer and you guys will have lots of fun. Since you posted that you are new at camping I suggest getting used to towing and backing the trailer. I have notice several times while at resorts many couples do not have any idea how to back up a trailer into its parking spot and are all over the place. Go to an empty parking lot and practice backing into a spot if you are not familiar on doing that. The trailer itself should be in good shape since it is new. When you get to your camping spot, you can familiarize yourself with all its amenities. My wife and I love camping and have gone from small campers to several motor homes. Good luck and enjoy.
Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:23 AM   #7
Robert+Lori

YouTube is a fantastic resource for beginners just type in RV newbie also try typing in the make and model of your rig and you should find walk throughs
Robert+Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
Anita L.

Default Thank you all!

I appreciate all of the good ideas, I use YouTube for so many other things, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that myself! As for backing and parking, we are both pretty adept with hauling building materials and kayak carriers, but yes...this is WAY bigger...we will really have to spend some quality time in parking lots! I hope we can pick up soon! Thanks everyone!
Old 04-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
Bill Nicholson

I highly recommend the installation of rear-view camera system. Our first two trips were white knuckle, until I installed a rear-view camera. Best purchase I ever made!! Changing lanes, especially moving to the right, was cross your fingers and go. I found a very reasonable system on Amazon, and had it installed in about 30 minutes.
Bill Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Micholson View Post
I highly recommend the installation of rear-view camera system. Our first two trips were white knuckle, until I installed a rear-view camera. Best purchase I ever made!! Changing lanes, especially moving to the right, was cross your fingers and go. I found a very reasonable system on Amazon, and had it installed in about 30 minutes.
Yes those are good to see what is behind the trailer, but if you do not have the extensions for the mirrors on the vehicle that is doing the towing, you are still going to get into problems without seeing what is already on the sides. You got to remember that everybody has a blind spot on your eye where the optic nerve attaches. Actually if you have good mirrors you should be just fine. This camera thing is a new thing just come out about a year ago. Never looked into one because I do not have a trailer, but I think it attaches to the rear of the trailer. Does't it?
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
Anita L.

Thanks Bill! That was our first purchase after we bought the camper!

Tags
2021 vintage rsk