Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
Yukon Jack

Default BT 5210 2021 Inverter install

I wanted to install an inverter for the times that I did not have electricity hook up and wanted to watch tv without the added noise of the generator, or when you can’t run the generator due to restrictions for the area you are boondocking in. The questions to answer were:
1. where to install
2. find an inverter that had a remote display/on-off capability.
3. how to wire/route the inverter ac output.
I know that the best place to install would be as close as possible to the battery. I found an area right behind the converter/fuse box that had enough space and was close to the DC supply line. I hooked up the positive wire to a spare lug in the fuse box and the negative wire went to a ground lug/buss behind the fuse box. I do not have a slide so that may be why the spare lugs were available. I used the access panel cover below the sink area and put hinges on it to make it an easy access door. I mounted the inverter control panel to the door. You must use an 80 to 100 amp circuit breaker between the positive power lug and the DC input to the inverter. If you are not proficient at electrical wiring, you should hire someone who is. This will just give you an idea how it can be done.
I found a 1000-watt inverter from Spartan Power Inverters through Amazon. I would usually only be powering the tv and Blu-Ray/DVD player so 1000 watts was easily enough for this. It has a remote on/off switch and a power usage display.
I used an extension cord and routed it through an existing hole where water lines and some wires came through to this area from the water tank area. The wire went along behind the water tank and came out the other end using one of the seatbelt holes. You can feed the wire along the tank using the seat belt holes to grab the wire and pull it along to the next seat belt hole. The wire goes up the panel behind the driver seat that leads to the top shelf. Removing the cushion strip that protects your head when entering the front truck area, exposed a small gap in the plywood GS used to make the compartment. It was large enough to route the wire into the compartment behind the tv where all of the wires are for the various connections. If you do not have this gap you would have to drill a hole to gain access. I cannot be certain there will be a space on every coach but it is easy enough to look for it. The rest is wire fishing using stiff wire to feed the inverter ac output wire into this cavity. I first went to the tv side and wired in the inverter ac feed to an ac RV socket. Typically, these are RV duplex sockets that are made for thin wall RV/mobile home installations. I used the hole for the RCA terminal, it needs to be enlarged to fit the new duplex socket. Next this feed went across the inside back to the DVD player side. Here is where you need to place another of the RV duplex sockets. The hardest part of this job was cutting the holes for the new sockets. So now to watch a movie using the inverter, you would unplug the tv from the line ac and plug it into the new socket installed for the inverter. The DVD player plug would be unplugged from the ac line in socket and re-plugged into the inverter supplied ac socket. Then turn on the inverter and watch a movie. Check your battery panel to see how much charge is left in the coach battery, or check the inverter battery level, and start your generator as needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210529_023515830.jpg (263.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210528_213446903.jpg (161.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210531_175415342.jpg (198.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210613_224329161.jpg (168.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210528_211256696~2.jpg (185.2 KB, 26 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
Yukon Jack

I do not know how to rotate pictures. I you can help me I will try to edit to make more clear.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
Yukon Jack

Default Here are a couple of more pics

Here are a couple of more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210528_202002109~2.jpg (130.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210528_211230491~2.jpg (296.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210528_202136438.jpg (247.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Leisure Time Larry

Nice work, Yukon Jack! There are several ways to install an invertor, and it seems like you and I chose localized options to suit our needs in our coaches. In my 5211, I installed a PROwatt SW 600 with remote switch. I wired the AC out of the inverter to power the curbside circuit of the coach, which includes the entertainment center. I speak about my install in this video I did as an overall tour of my coach... https://youtu.be/G3BNvR6eM2Q?t=936 (at 15:36 and again at 28:45)

Maybe we'll help and inspire others.

Best,

Larry
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
Yukon Jack

Hi Larry.
Your video gave me ideas. Good work. I never thought about looking for a circuit that powers part of the coach. That would have saved me some work. How do you switch power from the inverter to the line in ac?
Jack
Old 06-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
Leisure Time Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Hi Larry...
How do you switch power from the inverter to the line in ac?
Jack
I don't switch, Jack. That circuit, a few receptacles, are simply just/only powered by the inverter. When plugged into pedestal power, the batteries are being charged. I just know that if I want to plug in a higher wattage (over 500w) device like a vacuum, then I plug it into a receptacle on different circuit that can handle it. Always worked, never had an issue.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:17 AM   #7
RY469

Quote:
Hi Larry.
Your video gave me ideas. Good work. I never thought about looking for a circuit that powers part of the coach. That would have saved me some work. How do you switch power from the inverter to the line in ac?
Jack
You could use an inverter that has a built in transfer switch, or "AC pass-through" as it is sometimes called. That will pass external (shore) power through the inverter when available, and invert when external AC is not. Like the Xantrex Freedom X or similar, albeit more pricey.

The other option , as already noted, is to use the inverter full time to power your entertainment equipment, whether shore power is available or not. You'll basically be taking available shore power (120 VAC) converted to 12VDC (by your Converter/Charger), then inverted back to 120 VAC. Does not hurt anything and is common.

My main concern is your extension cord is robust enough and not subjected to abrasion or pinch points to be safe from a potential fire hazard. Romex (14/2 is fine) is better. My 2-cents.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
Yukon Jack

RY469
Your input is valid. Thanks for the ideas amd comments
Old 06-16-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
Yukon Jack

After Larry and RY 469 pointed out the method of hooking up to an existing circuit, I recommend this is the better way to go rather than feeding a new line and sockets. Easier for sure and safer.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
I wanted to install an inverter for the times that I did not have electricity hook up and wanted to watch tv without the added noise of the generator, or when you can’t run the generator due to restrictions for the area you are boondocking in. The questions to answer were:
1. where to install
2. find an inverter that had a remote display/on-off capability.
3. how to wire/route the inverter ac output.
I know that the best place to install would be as close as possible to the battery. I found an area right behind the converter/fuse box that had enough space and was close to the DC supply line. I hooked up the positive wire to a spare lug in the fuse box and the negative wire went to a ground lug/buss behind the fuse box. I do not have a slide so that may be why the spare lugs were available. I used the access panel cover below the sink area and put hinges on it to make it an easy access door. I mounted the inverter control panel to the door. You must use an 80 to 100 amp circuit breaker between the positive power lug and the DC input to the inverter. If you are not proficient at electrical wiring, you should hire someone who is. This will just give you an idea how it can be done.
I found a 1000-watt inverter from Spartan Power Inverters through Amazon. I would usually only be powering the tv and Blu-Ray/DVD player so 1000 watts was easily enough for this. It has a remote on/off switch and a power usage display.
I used an extension cord and routed it through an existing hole where water lines and some wires came through to this area from the water tank area. The wire went along behind the water tank and came out the other end using one of the seatbelt holes. You can feed the wire along the tank using the seat belt holes to grab the wire and pull it along to the next seat belt hole. The wire goes up the panel behind the driver seat that leads to the top shelf. Removing the cushion strip that protects your head when entering the front truck area, exposed a small gap in the plywood GS used to make the compartment. It was large enough to route the wire into the compartment behind the tv where all of the wires are for the various connections. If you do not have this gap you would have to drill a hole to gain access. I cannot be certain there will be a space on every coach but it is easy enough to look for it. The rest is wire fishing using stiff wire to feed the inverter ac output wire into this cavity. I first went to the tv side and wired in the inverter ac feed to an ac RV socket. Typically, these are RV duplex sockets that are made for thin wall RV/mobile home installations. I used the hole for the RCA terminal, it needs to be enlarged to fit the new duplex socket. Next this feed went across the inside back to the DVD player side. Here is where you need to place another of the RV duplex sockets. The hardest part of this job was cutting the holes for the new sockets. So now to watch a movie using the inverter, you would unplug the tv from the line ac and plug it into the new socket installed for the inverter. The DVD player plug would be unplugged from the ac line in socket and re-plugged into the inverter supplied ac socket. Then turn on the inverter and watch a movie. Check your battery panel to see how much charge is left in the coach battery, or check the inverter battery level, and start your generator as needed.
DID YOU CHECK YOUR TV PLUGS? Mine are 12-volt that use 12-volt or 120vac/12vdc power supplies? NO INVERTER REQUIRED
Old 06-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
dpitchai

Really? Which year model is yours? My 2021 BT 5210 doesn’t get power in the entertainment center. USB ports give power from Battery though with out relying on Gen power or Shore AC supply.

Wondering how they made connections
dpitchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #12
dpitchai

Below is what the manual says:

INVERTER

Inverters are much like converters, only they perform the exact opposite functions. Inverters take 12-volt DC battery power and invert it to 110-volt AC power. Using the inverter can drain a fully charged battery in as little as two (2) hours, depending on what appliances are being used. Therefore, inverters are usually used sparingly. The inverter switch should remain in the “off” position on the inside panel, unless using the inverter mode. The inverter/converter will still charge your batteries when in the “off” position and the coach has 110 volt shore power. If the switch is left on, as soon as you unplug the recreational vehicle you will start draining your batteries. Also, if for some reason you loose your shoreline power source without your knowledge, the inverter will automatically take over and after a few hours your batteries could be completely drained.

When batteries are drained this low it takes at least 24 hours of slow charging to bring them back to a “charged” status. The inverter is installed as a temporary means of supplying 110 volt power. You can watch TV for several hours, or run small appliances for a short period of time. Appliances with heating elements (ceramic heaters, blow
24 dryers, curling irons, clothes irons, etc.) will drastically shorten the amount of power supply from the batteries. The inverter and battery bank is not designed to sustain the coach for long periods of time.

If you have the inside control panel option, leave the exterior switch located on the inverter in the “off” position at all times. Check your inverter operator’s manual for proper use of the inverter.

########################

So theoretically, all the AC ports can get AC power through inverter. But I am unable to find the inverter switch in the panel. Need to call Gulfstream and check.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
dpitchai

I spoke to GulfStream Coach, they said BT 5210 does not have inverter at all.

I told them that the manual for BT 5210 specifies about inverter, switch etc. Their response was, manual will say some thing, and I should ignore it.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
Yukon Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpitchai View Post
I spoke to GulfStream Coach, they said BT 5210 does not have inverter at all.

I told them that the manual for BT 5210 specifies about inverter, switch etc. Their response was, manual will say some thing, and I should ignore it.
My 5210 did not have an inverter. That is why i installed one.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #15
MV213

Thanks for this write-up, @Yukon Jack! Quick question, those “buttons” on the vinyl trim…..are the just fancy tacks, or screw covers, or what. How to remove without damaging? Thanks!
MV213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #16
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Pretty sure those vinyl button are plastic snapon screw covers; there are mating washers under the screwheads
Old 09-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #17
MV213

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Pretty sure those vinyl button are plastic snapon screw covers; there are mating washers under the screwheads
I wondered if they were something like that—thanks.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #18
Yukon Jack

Yes, vinyl covered snap covers. Square head drive screw underneath. You can use a blade screw driver carefully to pry off.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #19
MV213

Quote:
Yes, vinyl covered snap covers. Square head drive screw underneath. You can use a blade screw driver carefully to pry off.
Good information-thanks.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #20
dpitchai

Default Inverter recommendation for BT 5210

Hi,

Can you please suggest a good inverter for BT 5210?

Thanks!