Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
gsadmin

Default Unresolved Coach Issues deemed "by design" by Gulf

Here are three issues left unresolved by my dealer La Mesa that I asked GS directly to respond to. After a very long thread that GS would not respond to, I finally contacted Erica directly by email and received the following response.

Here were the issues:

1. Missing wallpaper trim in dining area to match that in kitchen area. This wallpaper trim exists in every brochure photo yet GS insists that it is not normally installed in the dinette.

2. No door supports for front AV doors. These 6" high doors open upwards and thus without a support will not stay open. They obviously need spring cabinet hinges or some other support. Without it, you cannot see the satellite dish height gauge and on the other side they will not stay open so you can insert a DVD without fear that the door will come crashing down on the DVD tray. I am sure that all of the coaches are this way, but it is a sever design flaw and one I think they should fix as you cannot operate the satellite dish or the DVD safely or easily without it. One should not have to prop open a hatch on a $75K rig with a screwdriver.

3. No door supports for the driverside exterior doors for the front electrical compartment and the mid-coach water service and storage compartment. So, if you want to use these hatches you must prop them open with a broom or other device or sprout a third arm. The mounts for the struts are even installed there, but no struts. GS's answer: They do that intentionally so one does not leave a hatch open only to be struck by the sliding in and out of the LR slide. This seems logical except that they solved that problem on the other side of the coach for the bedroom slide. The hatch on that side has a height limiting cable installed on the strut to prevent it from rising to a level where it could be struck by the bedroom slide. Basically until someone gashes their head on one of these unsupported hatches as they come crashing down and then starts litigation, GS will continue to try and save $50 per hatch where they think they can get away with it. If that is not the reason, then what is?

And here was her reply:

It is my understanding that your 3 concerns were previously addressed at your selling dealership who communicated with our dealer technician, parts manager and engineering. The following can be addressed at your local dealership, as a customer pay. The unit was built per design. If you'd like to modify your unit, part numbers are listed below.

1. Correct as stated on the forum.

2. Part #: 13E582

3. Part #: 13X052
13X053
13X054

Your local dealership will be able to order the part number as referenced above direct from Gulf Stream Coach.

Regards,

Erica Howard

SO...if it was built to design, why are there part numbers?

Why would they "design" the coach without supports?

Why quibble over such an insignificant repair (dollars wise) that could prevent injury and possible lawsuits?
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
AAFD

Im going down for service next month at the factory. I will let everyone know how it goes!!

KC
Old 06-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
PETEY1

Gulfstream customer service is the worst. I can not believe they will stay in buisness if they keep this up. I have been reading alot of websites and there are alot of problems with the newer Gulfstreams. I for one will never buy another Gulfstream product. Good luck getting your problems fixed.
PETEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote