Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
martinandanne

Default Gas Gage Does Not Read Full

I have a new 2007 Ultra SE. When I got it up from the dealer, it was to have a full tank of gas. They ended up delivering it to my house (another story. . . .) and I noticed that the gas gage read about 3/4 tank. I didn't think anything of this because I knew that we had run the generater for a while the day before delivery plus they drove it 40+ miles to my house. However, when I filled it up for the first time, I noticed that the gas gage read only 3/4 full. Thinking this might have something to do with the automatic cut-off on the pump I was using, I actually went to another station and forced another couple of gallons into the tank. Still only reads 3/4 full.

Is this a common thing with Gulf Stream MHs?

Thanks

Martin
martinandanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
mfa

I have a new 2006 GS Ultra Super-C that I filled up yesterday for the first time. The gage read "full".
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
david_w28

Default Gas guage

Take it to the dealer, it should be a simple adjustment. Chevy dealer.
david_w28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

The gas gage is part of the chassis wiring and should be repaired by the chassis repair shop. You could call your dealer and see where they recommend taking it to for repair.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
The Old Guy

Default Your gas gauge

Martin etc,
I have a 2005 endura. My fuel gage has never gone above 3/4. You can't have it fixed at just any Chevey truck dealer. I have gone to or called several and they tell me that they can't take care of it because of the complex wiring it has now that it is a motor home. Sounds really lame to me.

I have learned to live with it as I have the refridgerator that doesn't stop getting cold. It freezes everything in the box if I don't manually shut it off once in a while.

Once your tank reaches an actual 3/4, it will then read properly to the bottom. I can tell when it will start moving by the speed I am going. If I do 60 i get right about 10 mpg and sure enough, 200 miles down the road it starts to drop.

Sorry I wasn't more help, but find the right dealer (might be 200 miles away) and it can be fixed. It really isn't a big deal except getting to it or the tank, which it could very well be.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
mfa

Default Re: Your gas gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy
Martin etc,
I have a 2005 endura. My fuel gage has never gone above 3/4. You can't have it fixed at just any Chevey truck dealer. I have gone to or called several and they tell me that they can't take care of it because of the complex wiring it has now that it is a motor home. Sounds really lame to me...
That does sound REALLY lame. I'd be willing to bet nothing has changed on the wiring from the gas tank to the fuel gage since it was done at the Chevy factory.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
The Old Guy

I was an auto mechanic in the late 50's and early 60's (Lord that sounds like a long time ago) and most of the time a gauge problem was in the tank because of the resister in the float arm that gave the level. I don't know if they still use the same kind of device, but it probably isn't anything you would need a rocket scientest to fix. May have a computer in between the tank and the indicator, but hey. Dollars to donuts it ain't the computer.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Swanee

Send a message via Yahoo to Swanee
Default dealer problem not ot worry

Gotta agree with david-w28 taks it to the dealer. I don't care if it's made by NASA take it back, one thing simple stuff like this leads to something else now their money now your money next time.
And why do these simple things wind up being so expensive?

good luck
Mike
Swanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Texas TC

When I had a Kodiak, I had to take it to a Chevy medium duty truck service center. Believe it or not, there was only one in the Greater Dallas, Texas area. Normal dealers are not set up to work on medium duty truck chassis.
My International had the opposite problem. It holds 140 gallons of diesel and I ran out one time while showing I still had 1/8 of tank of fuel and I could only put in 100 gallons. International found that the tanks were assembled at the factory with 16" fuel pickup tubes and my tanks are19" deep. They changed out both tank tubes and I am looking forward to my next trip (next week) to check out all the new found miles I can get before I need to stop for fuel.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote