Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Zapper58

Default Top of slide out has gap at gasket

Our '08 5290 front slide out has a huge gap at the top between the outside gasket and slide. It seems like the roller at the front of the slide close to the driver seat is in the wrong place. Instead of on the edge where the metal angle is , it is about a foot towards the rear on the floor panel of the slide out. The rear roller of the slide out is at the far end of it and the slide out frame rides on it , not the floor panel. The front of this slide has settled about 2" , is twisted , etc. Any way to install another roller at the front?
Zapper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
hossross

Are you saying that when your slide is in, you have a gap a the top of one corner, the opposite end is sealed when closed?

Did you remove the bulb seal at the bottom of the slide on the gap end and inspect the roller for damage when someone moves slide in obviously put slide out sufficiently to get access the removing the lower seal. Also watch as the roller goes over the floor, is the floor to roller moving smooth and flat or does it flex. Also stop at full out, 1/3 in 1/2 in and 3/4 in and inspect the angle of the box (slide) to the coach wall from both ends. If noticeable tipped or angled out at top, take a measurement of top and bottom and both ends to compare differences. I assume if the rollers not back, (rare) then the floor (outside roller surface is soft and deteriorated. Also type of slide mechaism do you have, single center rack and pinion bottom, or ?????

My experience is with the single center rack and 2 rollers near the ends. Yes on mine, one of the rollers runs on plywood and styrofoam, the other is under aluminum beams in the slide floor, the beams are on the other end to, just that the roller isn't mounted where the beams are. Neither of my rollers are positioned at the ends, but in about 10 inches.

My intent is to help your better diagnose the cause.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Zapper58

Thanks for the reply, the roller is in the wrong place in my opinion. It needs to be on the end where the angle iron or aluminum is. The floor is intact no water damage . I did find a roller that will mount on the edge where the gasket is , maybe that will do it.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
Zapper58

Decided to look at this yesterday. Extended the slide out almost all the way, jacked it up to take the weight off the front roller. Then decided to take the screws out of the roller bracket and slide it towards the front of the Mh. I used 2 existing holes that were the front of roller and now it is the rear. Drilled a hole from underneath the floor up through the front bracket of the roller accessed through the lower storage compartment. The roller now is about 4" from the end of the slide out. Set the slide out down, and ran it in and out. Wonderful , it is much better , smoother operation, etc. Should have been that way when it was made. At least they could have put in another roller. The slide out is heavy.