Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
Walter l

Default Back up cam

Just got a innsbruck gsx 17 toy hauler.. I was told that it was pre wired for a observation camera.
Where would the wires be located?
Or does it only have a power wire for a wireless camera? If so how would you turn camera on or off.
Salesman could not answer qiestions, other than they wanted $550 for a camera and monitor.
Walter l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:51 AM   #2
Flower

It is wired for a wireless camera having 12 volts that is connected to the running lights. The rear wireless camera operates from the 12 volts that will turn on when running lights from tow vehicle are turned on. We have the Furrioin wireless camera which seems to be the most popular but there are many brands if you check on amazon.com and ebay. The rear cameras are fairly easy to mount with many YouTube videos explaining how to mount the rear camera on the back of a camper.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Jbahr

Default RV Backup camera

Here is a YouTube video you might want to watch. If your camper is pre wired there should be a black hooded piece of plastic on the back of the camper about a foot or two from the roof. That is where your wires come out. There is a plastic cover that comes out, your wires should be right there. I would also recommend a Furrion backup/observation camera and get one with the hood included. My camera did not fit the installed hood so I had to swap out the hoods. I would order it new on line from a reputable dealer to save a few dollars. It’s really not difficult to install if you’re at all handy. Also, Since my rear view mirror is useless pulling a camper I mounted the Furrion monitor to the mirror with some straps. Good luck and enjoy your camper.
Jbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
dnezfrly

Jbahr--I have a Vintage Cruiser 17rwd with camera mount/hood on the back but have not checked for wiring. but if i were to choose a wireless model 1) how do you know if camera will fit in mount (i really would not want to drill more/other holes) and 2) camera monitor plugs into cigarette lighter but my 2020 Ascent only has USB ports.
dnezfrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
Jbahr

I’m not going to be a lot of help with this. I suggest you look at the camera holder on your camper and see if there is a model number or measure the opening and call Furrion for help. tel:+1-800-789-3341. They will be able to help you find the right camera to fit and if they have a model that uses a USB as a power source. Good luck and let me know how this turns out.
Jbahr is offline   Reply With Quote