Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
ckrobbins

Default Hows your Canyon Trail doing?

Our Canyon Trail 30FBRG is a little over a year old now. After all the initial warranty work, most seems to be OK. Little things here and there, but nothing major.
I had to reseal the sky lite above the shower, and the seal on the top outside of the slider is pealing and needs to be resealed but not leaking.
We really like it mostly. Great for the kids.
How's everyone elses doing. Still like it?
Reese PRO 15,000 Lb Hitch
ckrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Coolbreeze

I have a Gulfstream Mako which is the same thing as a Canyon Trail. The list of fixes is numerous. I have taken it back 3 times for a leak and I finally found it myself. It is the window in fact 2 of the windows. On the one over the sink I actually could see out a little space in the bottom of it. Kind of tells me the windows are junk. I also had it in for De-lam so with all of the other nits. Bad water heater element. Short in a DC light then all in all im rather displeased with this purchase. This weekend a compression fitting let go underneath the sink. Essentially this trailer is all about waiting for the next shoe to fall. Last Gulfstream I'll ever buy and maybe even the last trailer I'll ever buy. For the prices of these things who needs the headaches. I could only imagine what ownership would be like if I didn't store it in my yard where I could constantly fix it.

I like the trailer but it essentially wears ya down. It is just over 1 year old, and the 2nd year isn't starting out much better then the first.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
lockdoc

I have the Sedona which is now in 2008 the Canyon Trail lines top end unit. After a few issues I experienced everything is great! I am fortunate to be handy and have the tools to do minor repairs. It seems that all rv's regardless of class will give you issues and will need attention from time to time. My FIL and my friend have class A's and they have more maintenance issues routinely than I do when we go out camping!

Do a good once over a couple time a year to make sure that sealants are still adhering properly and not separating leaving gaps that will cause water issues. I had to re-apply silicone above my windows last year. I look at reapirs as part of the adventure. If you lat them bother you it will drive you away from the fun of owning an rv.

Happy camping!
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
ckrobbins

Our original warranty fixes were mostly due to the unit being a show model and having way to much foot traffic. It was initially in the shop for about 3 mo. Most of that time was due to a service rep. that was a real piece of work, a jerk and a lier. He was later fired! After that, things went smoother, but still slow. The service mgr. said that GS is the only manufacturer that requires them to submit pictures and then receive auth. before beginning any work. Unit can sit a couple of weeks before anything can be ordered, then work can begin.
A local RV repair told me that he will do the work within the factory warranty period and for me to pay him, then when he is reimbursed, he will cut me a check, but only on GS. The others pay sooner. He said that he loves Extended warranties, they pay like clock work, and no need for me to pay him when the work is done. He will get hi money in about a week or so.
The dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away, and the local RV repair is about 10 min. Guess where I am going to take my 5er!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Timothy

Mines still holding together and has a lot of miles on it. No leaks ever but some other issues. Although mine has been out of warranty several years now the picture thing sounds like dealer BS to me. I had several things fixed under warranty and we never sent any pictures in. If you go to RVUSA and read posts made by Grandview trailer sales a GS dealer he has good things to say about GS making prompt payment. Ive done so many things to make ours livable I can't find anything out there in this price range that compares.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
ckrobbins

Thanks for the replys guys. Just need to know how others are fairing sometimes. Sounds like with everything, there is good and bad, positives and negatives.
With me, I'll be taking my rig to a local repair instead of the dealer. Right now it doesn't need anything. Knock on wood. After our girls are out of High School in a couple of years, we'll probably get rid of ours and get something that is not a bunkhouse. We like the layout though.