Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-01-2016, 04:42 AM   #1
Sandrofelisio

Default dewald leveling system

Hallo you all.
I'm italian and i have a Dewald manual system touchpad #140-1179 on my RV Gulfstream.

I try now to explain the problem:
When I park (park brake ON and shifter in P) the panel is dark (OFF)
If I press the ON nothing happens, so I switch off the ignition and place the key on RUN and the "ON light" on the panel blinks.
If i press the ON button on the panel it stops blinking (return in OFF all dark) and there is no way to have the light on. I press ON many times but nothing.
I tried to keep ON pressed for 5 then 10 then 15 seconds but nothing.
All buttons are deactivated, I can press all I want but nothing.
To have the panel ON and to wake up the system th only solution I find is to press FRONT and REAR together (keep them pressed) and the rear right RR 3 times fast then release all.
With this method the ON led starts blinking and if I press it becomes SOLID led.
Then i can start with leveling procedure and it works perfectly.

Sometimes I have to repeat the "multiple button procedure" a lot of tim because sometimes nothing happens.
The seller says it's normal... but I think that something has to reprogrammed or similar because in the past it worked differently:
All black
press ON (solid ON Led)
levelling
Press Ret ALL all jacks up.
This was the normal way...

Please help me, I write to dewald support but no answers from them...

There is a FULL RESET PROGRAM?
There is a CALIBRATION PROGRAM?

HELP!!!!!!

The only change I did this year is that I've changed the battery (the engine battery) with another exactly the same.
It is full charged of course...

Sandro

Please help me to understand this problem and give to me a solution!!
Thanks a lot.

Sandro
Attached Images
File Type: png Schermata 2016-05-01 alle 11.40.41.png (83.9 KB, 873 views)
Sandrofelisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: dewald leveling system

Sandro,

Your control touch panel is their part number #140-1179. When I bought my coach used mine also did not work properly and I replaced this panel to get back to normal functionality. You can download a lot if information on your leveling system here:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towab...20footpads.pdf

There is a trouble shooting guide beginning on page 14 that may be useful in isolating any loose connection/low voltage issues you may be having. A new control panel has the electronics included in a board 'sandwich' and connects to the system harness with a single flat cable to communicate with the rest of the system. Your issues are indicative of a loss of this communication... This panel is expensive to replace -- about $535 or more...here is one source: http://rvcomponents.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M1710/s1.pl

How did you discover the button combination that gets it to work for you in its present 'lights off' condition? Was it in as service bulletin somewhere? It sounds similar to the TipSheet 0204 procedure to enter and exit configuration mode...so you can try pressing the Left button three times within 10 seconds and then seeing if the control comes back to a "NORMAL" (not configuration mode) state. I have high-lighted that step below using bold font.

T.I.P. Troubleshooting Information on Power Gear
1217 E. 7th Street
Mishawaka, IN 46544
Phone: 18003344712
Fax: 5742566743
MANUAL LEVELING CONTROL
SETUP
PROCEDURE
Note: The following setup
procedure is for Power Gear control part number 500731
Note: The auxiliary connector is a four pin connector on the back of the control that
looks like this.
View of Auxiliary Connector
If the control is flashing the ON/OFF light indefinitely, the control is in configuration
mode. To exit configuration mode, simply do one of the following:
*If the auxiliary connector is being utilized press the right button three times
within 10 seconds
*If the auxiliary connector is not being utilized press the left button three times
within 10 seconds

If you want to get back into configuration mode, do the following:
*Turn the ignition ON and make sure the touch pad is OFF.
*Press the “FRONT JACKS” and “REAR JACKS” buttons simultaneously.
*The ON/OFF light will blink for 10 seconds indicating it is in configuration mode.
*If the auxiliary connector is being utilized press the right button three
times within 10 seconds
*If the auxiliary connector is not being utilized press the left button three
times within 10 seconds
*If nothing is pressed for 10 seconds, it will exit configuration mode and turn off.

Good luck and let us know what you find...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #3
Sandrofelisio

Thank you bros,
tomorrow I will try!

Thanks!

Sandro
Sandrofelisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
richardscatzhouse

This might help from Gulf Stream http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towab...20leveling.pdf
Buy used Buy Trouble!!
richardscatzhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Sandro,

Your control touch panel is their part number #140-1179. When I bought my coach used mine also did not work properly and I replaced this panel to get back to normal functionality. You can download a lot if information on your leveling system here:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towab...20footpads.pdf

There is a trouble shooting guide beginning on page 14 that may be useful in isolating any loose connection/low voltage issues you may be having. A new control panel has the electronics included in a board 'sandwich' and connects to the system harness with a single flat cable to communicate with the rest of the system. Your issues are indicative of a loss of this communication... This panel is expensive to replace -- about $535 or more...here is one source: http://rvcomponents.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M1710/s1.pl

How did you discover the button combination that gets it to work for you in its present 'lights off' condition? Was it in as service bulletin somewhere? It sounds similar to the TipSheet 0204 procedure to enter and exit configuration mode...so you can try pressing the Left button three times within 10 seconds and then seeing if the control comes back to a "NORMAL" (not configuration mode) state. I have high-lighted that step below using bold font.

T.I.P. Troubleshooting Information on Power Gear
1217 E. 7th Street
Mishawaka, IN 46544
Phone: 18003344712
Fax: 5742566743
MANUAL LEVELING CONTROL
SETUP
PROCEDURE
Note: The following setup
procedure is for Power Gear control part number 500731
Note: The auxiliary connector is a four pin connector on the back of the control that
looks like this.
View of Auxiliary Connector
If the control is flashing the ON/OFF light indefinitely, the control is in configuration
mode. To exit configuration mode, simply do one of the following:
*If the auxiliary connector is being utilized press the right button three times
within 10 seconds
*If the auxiliary connector is not being utilized press the left button three times
within 10 seconds

If you want to get back into configuration mode, do the following:
*Turn the ignition ON and make sure the touch pad is OFF.
*Press the “FRONT JACKS” and “REAR JACKS” buttons simultaneously.
*The ON/OFF light will blink for 10 seconds indicating it is in configuration mode.
*If the auxiliary connector is being utilized press the right button three
times within 10 seconds
*If the auxiliary connector is not being utilized press the left button three
times within 10 seconds
*If nothing is pressed for 10 seconds, it will exit configuration mode and turn off.

Good luck and let us know what you find...

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Before I started a new thread, I found this one. Applicable. For me, when I power up the coach or change anything like putting into drive etc, the panel will often start blinking...every light. I too found the "reset" mode of depressing the F and R buttons simultaneously and then the left button 3 times and then the On/Off button to go solid and then it'll usually work.

A couple of questions now that a couple of years have passed:
- Is it possible that I'm now locked into a config mode and I have to get out of it? Have you learned anything else from this?
- Do you know of a suitable replacement for this model of keypad (140-1179) and do you have a copy of that linked manual that is no longer up on the Gulf Stream site?
- I've been on the hunt for this and not entirely certain that it's the control pad but almost. The hydraulics seem to work fine once I do a reset or two.

Thanks a lot and open for other suggestions. Phil
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
Chuck v

Phil,

The documents are PDF and not all that large, but not sure I can attach them here...

let me know if this works for you...

I doubt that you are stuck in a configuration mode, but go through the manual and follow the steps. The TIP sheet shows the error indications and the reset process.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Manual for Gulfstream Motorized hyd leveling.pdf (1,001.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf TipSheet0204.pdf (62.4 KB, 35 views)

Old 05-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
proost

Quote:
Phil,

The documents are PDF and not all that large, but not sure I can attach them here...

let me know if this works for you...

I doubt that you are stuck in a configuration mode, but go through the manual and follow the steps. The TIP sheet shows the error indications and the reset process.

Chuck
Thanks. Yeah, when I turn on the ignition to the Run position, I'll get the On/Off, the Wait, Jacks Down, Engage Park Brake all solid. My panel is the silver 140-1179 and there's just not enough information out there for codes/troubleshooting. I'll wait for a minute, and then they'll all blink quickly. If I touch a button, they all extinguish and won't come back on. I enter the config mode as I mentioned and then USUALLY, I can get the jacks to cycle. Sometimes I can't. Man oh man, this is definitely gremlin-ish because I can't find something that consistently occurs. Even the tech/service manual I have has some great troublehooting indicators..but for the other panels.

I definitely don't use the aux connection and just depressing the LR button 3 times doesn't do anything.

Thanks though.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Chuck v

Phil, is the service manual you already had different than the one I attached as a PDF above?

I also have a short 'operation manual' document which I will attach to this post. When my original control panel was failing it too would light all indicators when you turned on the ignition key. The replacement panel stays off until you press the ON/OFF button and then behaves as the documents suggest.

I also want to confirm that you blieve that the issues you are having are with the control unit (140-1970) and not the touch panel itself. As noted in the paragraph above my panel was the only part replaced and not he control unit with the microprocessor. I am posting a second PDF page with the replacement part numbers for the panels and controllers in this series of Power Gear levelers. Note that if you want to replace your unit you may need an adapter cable, which is obtined by ordering the older part number with an "S" appended to it.

operation manual for 140-1179 pg_82_L0377.pdf

Chuck

looks like the second attachment did not work, so I will try it again. May have to start another post to ensure it gets included.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 140-1970 replaced by 140-1228 pg-3010000042.pdf (39.1 KB, 22 views)

Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
Chuck v

Trying this to get the replacement part number list posted....that seems to have worked OK.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 140-1970 replaced by 140-1228 pg-3010000042.pdf (39.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 05-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
proost

Quote:
Trying this to get the replacement part number list posted....that seems to have worked OK.
I have the 140-1179 vice the 1170. It's nuts because there is not replacement that I am aware of for this panel. Let me see if I can attach my ops and service and parts manuals. You'll see that that troubleshooting is only for the other two panels. #NotHelpful
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Leveling Jacks instructions.pdf (209.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf Levelers Parts and Service Manual.pdf (955.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #11
Chuck v

Phil,

Sorry for getting the part numbers confused...after a little more searching I too came up empty on any substitution or replacement for the 140-1179. I did find some claims to being able to repair an existing panel and/or controller -- but a post in another RV forum said even that may not work out as some of the integrated circuits used i the controller are obsolete themselves...

I will keep an eye out and let you know if I find more.

Chuck

Old 05-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
proost

Quote:
Phil,

Sorry for getting the part numbers confused...after a little more searching I too came up empty on any substitution or replacement for the 140-1179. I did find some claims to being able to repair an existing panel and/or controller -- but a post in another RV forum said even that may not work out as some of the integrated circuits used i the controller are obsolete themselves...

I will keep an eye out and let you know if I find more.

Chuck
Yep, I found the same. If anything, may have to rig up some basic switches to get them to work. I may give M&M a try who does that overhaul.

Thanks Chuck!
Old 05-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
Chuck v

Have you tried keeping the panel powered all the time versus having it switched via the ignition key switch? You can still turn off the panel itself via its on/off button...just be sure to find a hot connection and then fuse the power to the panel.

If the panel is powered full time, it should not need the initialization sequence each time and just come up ready to use when you press the panel's on/off toggle dome switch.

Chuck

Old 10-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #14
proost

Hi Chuck, hey, sorry I missed your last post. Sooo, in the intervening months, I opted to replace all the guts in my leveling system with an updated system from Lippert except for the hydraulic jacks. I even replaced the pads because the previous owner used some crazy sewer caps as feet. Ahhhhhhh, it's all auto and works like a dream. We call it cocktail leveling - hit the button and grab a cocktail. Thanks for all the commentary and assist!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #15
mjhassenteufel

Default 140-1179 Control pad not turning on

I see that you've found a solution to your problem!
would you please share or be more specific.
140-1179 is a nightmare. been looking online offline and nothing until now.
part numbers that can be found would be nice

what did you have to do to put another control panel instead of the 140-1179 nightmare.

thank you in advance.
mjhassenteufel is offline   Reply With Quote