Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
coloradoguy

Default Keep grey/black valve open between camp trips?

New camper owner here.

After draining both grey & black tanks and during storage between trips (next one is in 2 weeks) should I keep the drain cover and valves open to let it air out, or should I shut them?

Seems like open would allow things to not get too funky for 2 weeks of 90 degree weather in Colorado.

Thanks.
coloradoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

Close them! You never really get out EVERYTHING that is in your holding tanks, so you don't want anything extra coming out when you are not hooked up to a dump. Also, the tanks are vented through pipes coming out atop your roof.

My personal opinion, and way of tank management, is to purposely keep SOME water in my tanks at all times WITH a probiotic/enzyme type tank treatment such as TankTechsRX or Happy Campers. This way, even when the RV is sitting, the yucky is being taken eaten up by the micro critters.

I also believe that the first modification that should be made to any RV including brand new ones, is to install the Siphon 360 holding tank vent covers, generation 2 for aftermarket installation. Yes, they make that much of a difference.

Best to you.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
Gregory

Rinse good when emptying then close and leave closed.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Colorado350

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoguy View Post
New camper owner here.

After draining both grey & black tanks and during storage between trips (next one is in 2 weeks) should I keep the drain cover and valves open to let it air out, or should I shut them?

Seems like open would allow things to not get too funky for 2 weeks of 90 degree weather in Colorado.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum from Colorado Springs.

Definitely close the valves. I dump a 5 gallon pail of water in the toilet after it’s dumped. I add chemical treatment at the same time.
Dump black tank FIRST then grey tank...
Old 06-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
Gregory

And you wouldn't want any animal to crawl inside.��
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain