Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #1
PaddlePAT

Default Using the dump station...

First time TT owner and I have a couple of questions regarding using the dump station. Please pardon my ignorance if I ask a stupid question

I've read to make sure your camper is level when dumping. How level? Level it just like at the campsite?

Regarding the black water tank flush system, the dump station at the campground we go to has a water hose to rinse with, but it doesn't have a hose fitting on it that I can connect to the camper. That being the case, how can I flush the tank?

This weekend will be my maiden voyage in my 19RBS and I'd really like to do things right! LOL!

Thanks.
PaddlePAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
maddog53

I just got my trailer a couple months ago. I did a shakedown trip 2 weeks ago to learn all the systems. I would assume that dump stations at campgrounds are usually pretty level so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as the black water tank, what I would do is have water in my fresh water tank if possible, empty black water tank and flush toilet until all water from fresh water tank is gone. Then dump again. Use the water hose to rinse your sewer hose
maddog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:15 AM   #3
Gregory

Dump black, dump gray if used, then refill a few gallons in black/gray and rinse again. You can either flush toilet or use a couple of jugs.
Then detach hose from trailer and rinse into hole.
Some people do tip there trailer with leveling blocks towards the hole.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
Pete&Brenda

All good information. Additionally there are many videos on YouTube about doing this. Most important point is what Gregory says, empty your black tank and then your gray tank, this will give your sewer hose the first rinse. As for flushing out your black tank you'll not want to spend a ton of time at the dump station if there are others waiting. Enjoy!!
Pete&Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
NavyLCDR

I read all this stuff that people do at dump stations, but I have never seen it. Especially when there is a line waiting to use it. The only thing I have seen people do, and the only thing I do is they drive up, hook up the sewer hose, dump the black tank, dump the grey tank, disconnect and rinse out the hose, pack up and leave.

I know if I was waiting for the dump station and I saw someone getting out blocks to drive up on, dumping extra water into their tanks to flush, pumping out their fresh water tanks, yada, yada, yada.... I know what I would think of them (not nice). And I don't do any of that when someone is waiting for me either. Hook up, dump, get the heck out of the way.

Save all that flushing stuff for when you are at your own full hook-up site and not inconveniencing others, please.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
Gregory

Wow! Don't know what say.😁
Old 05-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #7
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Wow! Don't know what say.��
Quite simply, I just prepare for the dump station before I leave my campsite. If I am below 2/3 in my black water tank, I will connect to the flush connection and fill it to 2/3 full. Same with the grey water tank, fill it to 2/3 full at the camp site. Then when I get to the dump station it's pull up, connect the hose, drain black water tank, drain grey water tank. Shut both valves, rinse the hose, pack it up and leave. I'm not going to keep the people behind me waiting while I hook up to tank flush at the dump station, or run inside the trailer and move my slide out to add extra water through the toilet or pump freshwater into either waste tank. The dump station is for dumping, and only dumping, when other people are waiting.....IMHO.

If you want to spend a lot of time to really flush out your black water tank then pay for a full hookup campsite and do it there.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #8
BryanL21

Default Dump station

I was a little worried the first time I used a dump station also, but don’t over think it. Generally level is level enough. No need for precision leveling. I carry a short garden hose to connect the hydrant to my rinser. After the black/sewer tank has drained I turned the water on for a few minutes to rinse the black tank while the grey tank is draining. I also use the hose to rinse the sewer hose once disconnected from the camper before putting it away. And you know what? If you make a mistake nobody’s gonna die!
BryanL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #9
Michigan Scott

Default Dumping 101

Don't worry about leveling most dump stations slope towards the correct side anyway. Pack a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 3/4 full with water before leaving campsite put it next to your toilet. Having a clear elbow or straight coupler between dump hose and trailer is nice so you can see what's coming out and when it's empty. If ya don't have one get one their nice.
Dump black water first when it's empty close valve and have someone or yourself pour the 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet open valve and dump again. Then dump grey water it will help rinse the hose.
If your ever at full hookup don't leave the valves open. Close them and let the tanks fill before dumping or else you will end up with big clumps of waste in the tank.
If you want to use the hose hookup to rinse the tank and they don't have a threaded hose at the dump your covered with the 5 gallon pail of water. You can always rinse it at home too and dump into a bucket to pour down the toilet.
Train the wife and kids to dump also so you can just watch them do it always a plus.
Michigan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
BryanL21

Scott - just to eliminate confusion, doesn’t the black tank rinser installed on the camper eliminate the need for the 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet, provided you have a hose and hydrant to hook to the rinser? I’ve never used a bucket and my black tank has always rinsed clean.
BryanL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #11
Roque

Default do not open black and grey water valves at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddlePAT View Post
First time TT owner and I have a couple of questions regarding using the dump station. Please pardon my ignorance if I ask a stupid question

I've read to make sure your camper is level when dumping. How level? Level it just like at the campsite?

Regarding the black water tank flush system, the dump station at the campground we go to has a water hose to rinse with, but it doesn't have a hose fitting on it that I can connect to the camper. That being the case, how can I flush the tank?

This weekend will be my maiden voyage in my 19RBS and I'd really like to do things right! LOL!

Thanks.
Usually level enough at dump station.

Most important reminder is NOT To have both black and grey water valves open at the same time.

When you open the black water tank valve, make sure the grey water valve is CLOSED. When you are done emptying the black water- CLOSE the black water tank valve. Then open the grey water tank valve (with black water tank valve CLOSED) and empty grey water tank. You don't want both valves open at same time to prevent black water from going into grey water tank and contaminating it. After you do it a couple of times, will not be intimidating at all. (other good suggestions posted about how to further clean/flush your black water tank like dumping bucket of water in toilet and draining black water tank second time before draining grey water with understanding that if long line at dump station, maybe don't be as thorough).

Enjoy! (the trip more than time at the dump station
Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:36 AM   #12
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Quite simply, I just prepare for the dump station before I leave my campsite. If I am below 2/3 in my black water tank, I will connect to the flush connection and fill it to 2/3 full. Same with the grey water tank, fill it to 2/3 full at the camp site. Then when I get to the dump station it's pull up, connect the hose, drain black water tank, drain grey water tank. Shut both valves, rinse the hose, pack it up and leave. I'm not going to keep the people behind me waiting while I hook up to tank flush at the dump station, or run inside the trailer and move my slide out to add extra water through the toilet or pump freshwater into either waste tank. The dump station is for dumping, and only dumping, when other people are waiting.....IMHO.

If you want to spend a lot of time to really flush out your black water tank then pay for a full hookup campsite and do it there.
Don't have a slide. I don't have to run in because Mrs Ldubs adds water to the toilet while I'm at the valves. If we are really slow it adds less than a minute. If someone is in that big a hurry, they should get up earlier.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #13
Gregory

Go figure, a 30 second rinse of the black tank upsets some people,lol.
Oh well.......
Old 05-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #14
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Go figure, a 30 second rinse of the black tank upsets some people,lol.
Oh well.......
No bother if it is 30 seconds. But it usually is not when you see the guy fishing around in his storage compartment for the green or black hose, then hunts for somewhere to hook it up. Then stands there for 5 minutes watching it flush. Then coils up the hose to put it back in storage. If 4 people in line do that, that adds 20 minutes to the wait time for #5 in line. One of the main rules of process improvement is that small delays add up when repeated.

But, hey, it's not like you are going to know how annoyed I am anyway. My wife and I will just have a private conversation while we wait about how rude some people are. Then when it's my turn it's like a pit stop at a race track, dump the tanks and go.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #15
deplorablemike

I go with LCDR (I a Navy destroyerman) DUMP,rinse your hose & GO! Your not going to get it real clean anyway.If your using the right chemicals you won't have any real "solids".If your at a campsite hooked up,take all the time you want to flush.But when your at the dump station get your sh*t together beforehand (pun intended).
deplorablemike is offline   Reply With Quote