Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream | Tech > Electrical
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2024, 10:44 AM   #1
MSG Retired

Default Battery indicator question

I have a 1996 Sun Voyager. My Battery indicator light on the dash only lights up when starting the chassis. This is for the coach battery, I think? Prio to the passing of my father (this was his coach), my father left the step down and did some damage to the wiring located under the steps. I'm trying to get everything figured out.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

MSG Retired
Dave
MSG Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:42 AM   #2
Chuck v

Dave,

The term "coach battery" usually means the house battery for systems/lighting in the RV house section itself. The battery associated with the engine and running gear of a motorized RV is typically called a "chassis battery" and I would expect any dash indicator to relate to the chassis battery.

There is usually a panel in a class A RV that shows the system status of the tank fullness, the house/coach battery charge, etc. This is never on the dash...

Any step wiring that could have been damaged should have been protected by fuses, so this is not going to cause a global outage of house 12 volt power. Hope this helps...

There are threads on this forum discussing the 12 volt wiring of class A coaches and some include diagrams. I don't have a schematic for your particular year and model coach, but the one included below is representative and applies to my Tour Master diesel pusher.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tourmaster DC wiring from GulfStream -- AE2241-03.pdf (149.9 KB, 5 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:48 PM   #3
RY469

Default Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Dave,

The term "coach battery" usually means the house battery for systems/lighting in the RV house section itself. The battery associated with the engine and running gear of a motorized RV is typically called a "chassis battery" and I would expect any dash indicator to relate to the chassis battery.

There is usually a panel in a class A RV that shows the system status of the tank fullness, the house/coach battery charge, etc. This is never on the dash...

Any step wiring that could have been damaged should have been protected by fuses, so this is not going to cause a global outage of house 12 volt power. Hope this helps...

There are threads on this forum discussing the 12 volt wiring of class A coaches and some include diagrams. I don't have a schematic for your particular year and model coach, but the one included below is representative and applies to my Tour Master diesel pusher.

Chuck
The step DOES connect to the chassis (battery) to sense engine start (and initiate retract). Might be some weird kind of thing loading the battery enough to make the light come on, you never know. Dave, do you have someone savvy with electrical systems and/or ability to disconnect step enough to isolate from the chassis?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:10 PM   #4
Chuck v

RY 469 and Dave,

Yes, the step is powered from the vehicle starting "chassis" battery and the control unit has some interactions with the ignition switch in some coaches. The manufacturer's manual gives the wiring as shown in the JPEG file below.

The chassis disconnect switch will isolate the chassis battery from ALL of the step circuitry, so if the dash lamp is still on when the disconnect is OFF and indicating an issue with the vehicle battery, it is not due to the step.

If you are unsure of any prior changes/hacks to the RV wiring, you will have to trace it all down and correct it (it may be much more than a step issue...)

The fuse block in the RV should have a fuse labeled "step" you can pull to isolate the motor and its controller, but the globally acting Chassis Disconnect will certainly do that.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simplified step wiring.JPG (79.9 KB, 1 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:28 AM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

MY UNDERSTANDING of electric steps that retract on engine start is step power comes from Coach battery thru a 12vdc- 25a breaker, and RETRACT signal is simply a smaller wire to the control board that senses IGN=ON. My OLD simple single step has no control board, and no auto retract. ALSO on ALTERNATOR POWER, most have a IGN=ON controlled SOLENOID that charges Coach Batteries when engine running. (Some) also have a BIM/ BATTERY MANAGER that is in the circuit, and can also charge chassis when plugged in, but feature usually only on higher $$ rigs?