Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
PinPilot

Default Hello from Granbury, TX!

Hello to all! I just joined today because I'm looking at a 1991 Gulfstream Friendship 38' with the 8.3 diesel. I'm hoping to gain some insights about what to look for when I go see and test-drive it. If I buy it, this will be my go-to forum!
PinPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Colorado350

Welcome to the Forum.

Concerns with an older diesel will be all the seals and o rings being dried out from lack of use. Definitely check for blow by, oil fill cap upside down on the spout...does it blow off or vibrate around? Are parts readily available NATIONWIDE and affordable? This forum is pretty quiet so don’t put all your eggs in this basket... Good luck.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinPilot View Post
Hello to all! I just joined today because I'm looking at a 1991 Gulfstream Friendship 38' with the 8.3 diesel. I'm hoping to gain some insights about what to look for when I go see and test-drive it. If I buy it, this will be my go-to forum!

It is hard to tell you or give you advise on the coach. Diesel engines do last three times longer in life then gasoline engines, but again it depends on the maintenance it has had. Check it out real good, test drive it to check the transmission and the whole power trainline. Check for leaks if there is any damage from such leaks if they were not taken care off. Most motor homes at one time or another will get a leak, but if taken care off right away it will not cause damage like rut of floor boards or even damage to the roof. Check the fiberglass for delaminationl. Check the air conditioners and heating systems, dash systems to see if they work proper like front heating and cooling. Check your tires. Tires on RV's should be changed out every five years regardless of miles used.

You can save a lot of money buying an older coach like that, but you got to realize also that things do wear out if not properly maintained. You never mentioned how many miles it has, but diesel engines of that type usually last 3-4 hundred thousand miles before they need over haul. Diesel engines are great engines comparing to gasoline and I have had both.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
Frutza

You can have the fluids tested, like oil, trans fluid, antifreeze on the engine & genny. I think Speedco does it on site, will go a you a good base line