Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
davmac

Default need new driver side windshield

We just got a rock in the windshied from a passing truck. No, we couldn't get the license number We have a 1999 SunVoyager Bus.

The hit was at the bottom edge of the drivers side windshield and two cracks have traveled across the lower third of the window to the center edge.

Has any one had experience with getting a replacement, insurance coverage, and service? We are currently traveling in Northwestern Montana heading toward the coast of Washington .

Thank for any feedback.
Dave
Old 08-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

I have never, knock on wood, had to replace a windshield in either of our coaches we owned, BUT I know from past experience with insurance companies that you must contact them first and follow their procedure for payment and replacement.

I know that most Camping World locations can handle replacing the windshield. Another thing is that you can contact a RV dealer in the area that you are in and if they don't provide this service, I am sure they have a local glass shop that does.

There is a code on the bottom center of the windshield that is used to order a exact replacement for your windshield.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter

We just(last week) had the passenger windshield replaced. Called our insurance co. and they made all the arrangements. Took two tries as they sent the wrong window the first time. paid the deductible and were good to go. We had it replaced at home.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecounter
We just(last week) had the passenger windshield replaced. Called our insurance co. and they made all the arrangements. Took two tries as they sent the wrong window the first time. paid the deductible and were good to go. We had it replaced at home.
Treecounter,
Thanks for the information about your windshield replacement I have heard that some insurance companies do as you descibed and others leave it to the individual to make all the arrangements, that is why one should always contact their insurance company first to find out their latest procedure for payment.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
davmac

Update on our windshield replacement... We drove from Eureka, MT to Port Townsend, WA. The cracks extended as we drove from bottom to top of the windshield but it stayed intact.

The insurance company covered the replacement with a deductable of $274. We could use their prefered glass company or use any one we liked with their approval. We were parked at SKP park and used a local company that supported the park. The insurance company was OK with their quote and I was happy with his service. Given the Labor Day weekend delivery of the window took two extra days. The whole process started on Thursday and we were back on the road the following Thursday.

If my insurance rates are not hiked I will admit the whole process was without distress.