Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Greyhound

Default Map Lights

I have a 2008 Tourmaster T40B and up to two days ago the map lights worked. Checked the fuse, appeared to be good, but replaced it anyway. Checked power to the fuse block, good. Checked the bulbs, no black on them.
We use the light to light up the stairwell at night. Is there a hidden inline somewhere. I attempted when I first purchased the coach to obtain a wiring diagram for this, however GS stated they didn't have any
Any ideas on what may have caused these lights not to work?
Thank you,
Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
rescue7

You have to rotate the dimmer control on head light switch all the way up, just like turning on dome light in a car.

Don
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Greyhound

That was part of my troubleshooting. Just didn't mention it. They worked up until a couple of days ago and now nothing. According to the fuse panel that lists the fuse and location, there is nothing else on that circuit.
Still open to suggestions.
Bob
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
rescue7

Do you have starting battery switch on, I know another easy one.

Don
Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
RJ82much

Bob,

I've got good news & not-so-good news: This is the circuit that gave me fits last year. For over a month I traced wires, fuses, power sources till I gave up.

If it's the same problem, not only won't your maplights work, but also your mirror controls & your windshield defogger fans will be dead. The Sun Voyager documents the 5 amp fuse for the maplight located (in my case) in the main electrical compartment where all the power relays & etc are mounted. What is not documented is the source power for these devices! Under my dashboard near the steering column (no wonder I couldn't find it) is another automotive-type fuse block. It's not documented because it is part of the chassis manufacturer's wiring.

I made a stop at the GS factory to solve this problem. Aaron Druesdow, then a regional service manager, fixed it because he started on the assembly line wiring these interconnections. I'm not sure that he still works at GS.

BTW, to get at my fuseblock, one must be young, agile, flexible with great close-up eyesight because you have to "go in" upside down around the driver's seat, putting the fuse block about 6 inches away from your nose. I found that a digital camera is a great tool to see what is there, with out crawling in.

Your Tourmaster may be altogether different. I suggest you check all devices to see what else may not be working. Let us know what you find.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
Jim and di

I had the power mirror, defrost fan and map light go out. Spent weeks looking, ran jumper wire to each all worked when power was applied. Finally looked at the 80 amp circuit breaker. It looked like it was in the set position. I tripped it and reset and all worked. I remove all the breakers and had the elect. tec at work look at them. They are in the cargo bay under the driver seat. Is something just touches them the breaker will disconnect without tripping.
Hope it helps,
Jim
Jim and di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Greyhound

Thank you for all your assistance. After reading them I realized the one thing I did not check was the engine battery. Tried to start the coach - nada. Use the emergency switch and now have the coach running and the lights work.
I need to be more aware of the battery life as we are sitting doing workamping for the summer.
Thank you all,
Bob
Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Greyhound

Thank you for all your assistance. After reading them I realized the one thing I did not check was the engine battery. Tried to start the coach - nada. Use the emergency switch and now have the coach running and the lights work.
I need to be more aware of the battery life as we are sitting doing workamping for the summer.
Thank you all,
Bob