Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
Rincon Schooner

Default 2004 Sun Voyager 8379 Atrium

Hi All, I have a nice old coach. All is good except my large dinette slide is very slow to retract.... very slow. Was wondering if the under-slide rails that are covered with old grease are the problem. Gonna remove and clean the old grease and apply new. Does anyone have experience, and will this result in a speedier retraction. I gotta think it can only help,..... but, maybe someone here has something to add to my dilemma.... otherwise, we love this older coach and we have renamed it the “Rincon Schooner”..... thanks for any comments or advice in advance.... Rob Smith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8437B287-1C0C-41AD-8AE6-395D216E1C5F.jpg (306.6 KB, 26 views)
Rincon Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
Canoe2day

I have an 8336 and found that when the coach is level by hydraulic assist, slightly tip both of the opposite side hydraulic jacks up just past level and it slides right in. Yes changing the grease and putting a new coat on every year certainly can't hurt it. George
Canoe2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Rincon Schooner

ThanksGeorge.... I was under the coach looking up and the one hydraulic piston the shoves the slide out and then draws it back in is rather small in diameter. Nothing looked unusual and no leakage. The hydraulic line was smaller than I expected, as well, so it’s probably normal for things to expand faster and retract slower. I cleaned the two guides that are grease covered and will apply fresh grease and then we’ll see if that makes a difference.... stand by for an update.... Rob
Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
Swiss Man

I got the Scenic Cruiser. Almost the same technology. I replaced the two hydraulic cylinders. Now the speed is fine.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
Eddndee

Beautiful coach!
Eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
Hminor00

Default Hydraulics cylinder change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Man View Post
I got the Scenic Cruiser. Almost the same technology. I replaced the two hydraulic cylinders. Now the speed is fine.
How much did it run you to have the Hydraulics cylinder change
Hminor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
Swiss Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddndee View Post
Beautiful coach!
Oh I tell you. It is not easy to find a new one. Such a lot of amenities!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
Rincon Schooner

Hi Swiss Man.... well, that’s great.... The fix for me worked out pretty good.... I used a putty knife and removed old and hardened grease from the slide rails under each slide. I used a short stool to sit on for comfort. When the cleaning was completed I slipped on some latex gloves and smeared lithium grease evenly on the slide rails. What a difference!... they slide in and out and it’s clearly a big improvement!!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #9
Swiss Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincon Schooner View Post
Hi Swiss Man.... well, that’s great.... The fix for me worked out pretty good.... I used a putty knife and removed old and hardened grease from the slide rails under each slide. I used a short stool to sit on for comfort. When the cleaning was completed I slipped on some latex gloves and smeared lithium grease evenly on the slide rails. What a difference!... they slide in and out and it’s clearly a big improvement!!
That’s great. Definitely a easy repair. Good luck with your beauty.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
Rincon Schooner

Hi EddnDee , Thanks, .... its old but we love it!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #11
[email protected]

Send a message via AIM to kenjohnston83@gmail.com

Quote:
Hi EddnDee , Thanks, .... its old but we love it!
It's a beautiful looking unit. I love the big windows for the lovely light they must allow inside. Re the slide out rails. I did some reading when I first bought my 2000 Tourmaster. A couple of things for you to keep in mind that might help you in future: there are types of grease or lubricant that will attract more or less dirt. I tend to use a product called Boeshield. Here's what they say about it. "A multipurpose spray that provides superior corrosion protection, waterproof lubrication, and moisture displacement. Developed by the Boeing Company." I use it and like it. I make a point of lubricating at least annually, but if I'm in dusty or muddy areas, I have a look at the slides and maybe wipe them and do them more than annually if they appear to be attracting anything that would impede smooth movement.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #12
Rincon Schooner

Cool.... thank you.... I’ll look for that product.... also, I’ll be checking those slide rails occasionally, since this rig is a new acquisition. Most systems associated with our “Schooner” are well-built.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #13
Gingersdad

Quote:
Cool.... thank you.... I’ll look for that product.... also, I’ll be checking those slide rails occasionally, since this rig is a new acquisition. Most systems associated with our “Schooner” are well-built.
I just pulled up that Boesield lub. Turns out I used the T-9 spray on all my woodworking tools years ago. The stuff was great. I will start using it again.
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote