Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
lizkev

Default Airbags

Help please! We are at a rest stop and our air bags are under 75 psi. Can anyone give us any suggestions before we call a mechanic on a Sunday?
lizkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #2
Bike Dr

Need more info!! Is it cold? Could it be ice? It's it building air? When did you last replace the purge valve and desiccant filter? Is the dump valve bleeding off air? Or do you hear air coming from a proportion valve these are all things to look for!! And listen for! This is a broad question as there are a quite a few components to the air system...
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #3
lizkev

We have been driving from LI NY and now stuck in VA. We stopped last night at rest stop, when we were ready to leave we noticed air bags were at 75psi. Then dropped a little . We are fairly new. We have a 2007 GST. Yes it is cold, not sure if there is ice. Not building air. Not sure if purge valve was replaced. Will contact original owner. Thx trying to contact mechanic. Seems no one works on Sundays. I have no luck!
Old 02-20-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
lizkev

Hubs says he doesn’t see any ice. Only builds pressure to 75psi then dropped a little.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #5
Bike Dr

You may not see the ice! You may have to induce antifreeze for air systems it's basically alcohol, and that will break the ice barrier in the lines. I live in Maryland and it got to 17° here lastnight.. I hope this helped
Old 02-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #6
lizkev

Great! Thank you! Just got in contact with orig owner yes every thing was replaced and said could be a little bit of ice. So, very grateful for your suggestion. Can you advise how to introduce antifreeze. You would be saving me a bit of cash and trying to convince hubs not to drive it!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
Bike Dr

On Sunday is tough, but if you get the coach up and running and as the day warms a little, exercise the dump valve a few times and see if it breaks loose to get you going, if it is ice in the system change that purge and DESICCANT, most only change the purge only and then the problem with moisture in the lines begins, I will assume it has never been changed on your coach if that does end up being your issue! Dry air is very important!!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #8
Bike Dr

Bleed the air off the air tanks completely, then there should be a plug to access the tank and just pour a little in the tank if you don't have more fancy tools to Inject it in another way, and good to hear it has been replaced! I'm jealous as we are not heading out for a month or so but it's coming... lol hey happy camping and hope to hear more from you take care and be safe!!!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #9
Bike Dr

And nothing against the previous owner, but I have seen a ton of times where a shop will only change the purge and tell the customer that it was all done and sadly this is what happens.. so unless you do it yourself or really trust your mechanic I'd say I bet the filter is original to the coach or a very cheap filter...hopefully this is not the case.. just things to keep in mind
Old 02-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #10
hossross

When you bleed off the air look for fog or steam (moisture) in the expelled air. If you have already bleed it off, and can pump back up and always rebleed but if will be with different and probably dryer air if cold there. So hopefully you can get insight if water was present on the original condition.

What is normal pressure in the bags? you seem paniced at the 75 number. Doesnt seem like a value to sideline a coach. I'd keep speed down and head for warmer temps, try rebleading system 2 hours later, driving may warm up the ice blockage depending where the block is and where the heat sources are on your coach. Does not seem like a sunday house call to me anyway.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #11
lizkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossross View Post
When you bleed off the air look for fog or steam (moisture) in the expelled air. If you have already bleed it off, and can pump back up and always rebleed but if will be with different and probably dryer air if cold there. So hopefully you can get insight if water was present on the original condition.

What is normal pressure in the bags? you seem paniced at the 75 number. Doesnt seem like a value to sideline a coach. I'd keep speed down and head for warmer temps, try rebleading system 2 hours later, driving may warm up the ice blockage depending where the block is and where the heat sources are on your coach. Does not seem like a sunday house call to me anyway.
Hello, well had to take to a mechanic on Monday. Told us it was the Dryer Unit. All good now. Drove to Florida and started our vacation. Got stuck on the way back. Dashboard showed Battery High Voltage tripping the audible alarm and Check engine ligt. Batteries reading 16 to 18. Took to a mechanic in North Carolina. Stated it was a loose wire. They replaced the wire, but won't know till tomorrow after they test drive it. Also, real crazy thing. Hard to find help. 1 place that works on Freightliner Chassis said they wouldn't work on 2007 RV's. Olnly on new ones. I wish I could afford a new one. Oh well.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:32 PM   #12
hossross

Default air bags

thanks for incident update

I do have to say that results were confusing as far as effecting the problem.
The Dryer Unit is just another way to say replace the desicant, which has the only job of removing water vapor from the compressed air. The main effect of water is ice. As Bike Dr. implied, alcohol will a absorb water and help to melt ice. But above freezing water is not causing any immediate problem. So your problems should have gone away as temps got above 40 with or with out any Dryer changes. I would confirm with previous owner to see bill for a
Dryer as you stated they changed all that stuff. A parts receipt would be better validation.

As for high Voltage, is this a Ford? The voltage regulator controls High voltage and a loose wire maybe accurate only if there is a separate voltage regulator. I am more familiar with GM vehicles, and they all had integrated voltage regulators inside the alternator for years before 2007. So the diagnosis doesn't fit the crime in my book. So all you can do is ask questions, like where was the wire that was loose and what was it connected to and what is its purpose? Even if your rich, I don't think it improves the customer service, we just all have to become more suspecting customers. If you have to get down the road, then pull the feed to the generator, 1 wire and run off the coach generator assuming that your generator charges all batteries. If not, then connect emergency start switch to back feed vehicle batts. But diable the alternator first in all cases.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:49 PM   #13
Bike Dr

I had a feeling it was the purge and desiccant filter, like i mentioned initially its usually the problem when moisture enters the air systems, don't sweat the small stuff keep your chin up and keep going. Once you get used to your preventative maintenance you will relax more and enjoy the trip!! Happy camping!!

Ps that c7 cat is very dependable if you care of it and we have had no trouble with our freightliner chassis, these are very durable coaches, just finishing up lots of upgrades and hopefully on our way soon..
Old 03-02-2022, 09:39 AM   #14
hossross

Bike Dr. how did you know the model of the coach, Lizkey never was asked or gave it in the help request? I never picked up it was a diesel or class A. But on your cat, does it have a separate voltage regulator?
Old 03-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #15
Bike Dr

Lol hey, well let's see I have a few years under my belt as far as knowledge.. but don't know everything by far, but if you read between the lines as in how and what people say you can pick up on what they may be referring to, and I have been in the DOT field for awhile and understand air systems and their components to class a. Hope this helped a little hossross.. and if I could help you or the other way around, don't hesitate to mention and help one another in the future.. be safe!!
Old 03-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #16
hossross

Default air bags

I always look for some closure to these problem, but rarely does that happen. So I don't know what solved the problem, if anything. my style like to diagnose and then replace, not just go into parts change mode. But difficult to know each's skill level, time, tools, and interest in many of these problem
For instance in the recent air bag pressure issue, why didn't the problem go away when the temperature rose to 40 plus?????? I appreciate the real solution was to change all the desiccants for proper service.

I think you also commented on the alternator on this type of coach, never did hear if your Cat or other diesels used a separate voltage regulator that would be connected by external wires. I assumed all alternator mfgs used internal integrated voltage regulators and if it was charging high, easiest to replace. almost all alternators can be rebuilt, so I just turn in the core and buy a rebuild
\
So here are 2 recent issues with Lizkiv coach that I thought I could get closure on this was the problem.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #17
Bike Dr

Okay well they may have had a cummins, but it didn't matter knowing air systems I was pretty sure I knew what trouble they were having! And yes to answer your question mine is internally regulated on the alt! And the closure question! Lol well good luck, sometimes people have problems and may or may not know how to answer or ask the questions due to inexperience, so that means when they ask and you give the answer, you may never hear back. so you have to take what you said in your reply as hopeful help to others in there time of need with no closure!! Haha just a thought but sometimes you get the answers you hoped for! There alt was only a loose connection so that was minor. And the air dryer is a good learning experience. They need to be maintained! I hope this answer gives you some closure! Lol good luck hossross hope to see ya on the road!
Old 03-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #18
hossross

Default airbags

I'll leave it that the feedback system will remain imperfect. I appreciate that you volunteer your time to give frequently.

Have you ever had problems with your hydraulic levelers? are they auto or manual controlled?
Old 03-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #19
Bike Dr

My levelers are manual. i keep an eye on the fluid levels in the tank and keep a constant eye out for leaks. and so far i have had good luck with my system. two slides operate by hydraulics and one by 12v dc motor on a gear drive slide rail. I have mentioned the lag in times in the past with the entertainment system but i pulled all new hdmi, ethernet and digital optical cables through the whole coach and updated to smart TVs. so now we have an up to date coach with lots of extras. couldn't be happier. now stating that the coach was wired completely wrong from the factory and the previous owner must have just delt with it. it worked but unfortunately i couldn't deal with everything being wrong

ps i do see your knowledge in your terminology of your questions, and respect that and hope to hear more from you! i just try to keep things simple..