Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
AmeriLite21

Default Vinyl wall covering melting by cooktop

Does anyone else with the cooktop near a vinyl wall covering have a problem with the heat from the cooktop melting the vinyl? I have been trying to find some type of heat shield to reflect or reduce the heat at this location, but as yet have not found anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.
'01 Dodge RAM 1500 4X4 O/R Quad Cab SLT
AmeriLite21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
ethomps1

I wasn't so much worried about the vinyl melting as I was worried about the stains and splatters from cooking. I did end up buying a very thin, clear cutting board from Bed, Beth and Beyond and using double sided tape, I taped it to the wall to the left of the stove. We do try and use the burner on the other side of the stove.

Also, we drilled out a hole in the knife rack behind the stove, to store our lighter (for the grill) and the knife honer.

Take care - Liz
ethomps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
rdlamb

Hi Mike:
Sorry I missed this post. Gabby that I am I usually answer them if I have any knowledge.

Had a similar problem with a prior RV. The problem was improper venting of the stove. You should have your dealer check the stove's venting, and reasons why the vinyl is melting.

If your warranty is over, and you are on your own, then I would recommend having someone check the stove venting. If that is correct, then you have several options to cover the wall. I went to a local fabricator and had a sheet of stainless steel cut to fit the entire wall. Cost was less than $100. I used a good glue and screws in the corners. It solved the heat and clean up problems with one fix.

Another possible fix is to use ceramic tile to cover the wall. The home hardware stores (Home Depot or Lowes) have a load of information to share with you.

Safe travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
AmeriLite21

I think I finally solved my problem . While attending an RV show in KC MO we talked to the dealer we bought the trailer from. His only response was, "We've never heard of that problem before, but I'm sure you'll find something to fix it. " We also found a competitor who will get to sell us our next trailer when we are ready to buy again . Most of the trailers at the show had the same problem. The edge of the inside burner is between 4 and 6 inches from the wall . Some have a "splash guard" of metal or ceramic on the wall . Several models have moved the cooktop to the open end of the counter top , thereby eliminating the the fire hazard of being so close to the combustible wall.
Since we can't move the cooktop without major reconstruction we opted for the "splash guard" remedy . I bought a $20, 16X21 flat, insulated baking sheet. I attached it to the wall with adhesive backed strip magnets. It protects the wall when we cook and after the cooking is done can be placed on the cooktop to increase counter space . Now if we can only have some decent weather and get to a campground to check it out.
'01 Dodge RAM 1500 4X4 O/R Quad Cab SLT
AmeriLite21 is offline   Reply With Quote