Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
lkillebrew

Default 2004 Gulfstream Ultra W6280D

Hi folks, I have been a lurker for sometime. And am a complete NEWBY to Motorhome ownership. I have a few questions about a situtation I am considering getting into.

My wife and I have tent camped and pop-up camped for 30 years. So, we are not completely new to the lifestyle.
We can't easily afford a new rig and have located the above mentioned Ultra Limited Edition.

We know the current owner and he used to be very good about maintaining things. However his age, and judgement are not what they once were.
This unit has some problems, some from damage, then neglect, several from neglect. A few years ago, he jacknifed a fully enclosed trailer while backing, and damaged the passenger side rear corner, the only external damage I can see from the backing accident is to the bumper and the lower corner, the storage compartment door closes just fine. Part of the stress put on the rig appears to have buckled the siding up to (but not beyond) the bedroom window. The siding is slightly wavy which indicates delamination. The delamination continues up to the roof line but not above. As a result of this damage there is interior water damage around that window and the inside paneling feels soft aft of the window.

In addition, he tried to rig up temporary power and apparently blew the inverter... it is not something simple like a fuse, the inverter is toast. Also the unit has sit so long the batteries are shot, and the unit will not start. He parked the unit under a hay shed and there is quite a bit of evidence of mouse infestation at one time. I am hoping they mice didnt nibble on the wiring harness, but it is likely they did.

The unit has 54,000 miles on it. The roof, tires, belt, plumbing, cabinets, appliances, generator, etc. appear to be in good shape.

I admit this is a pig in a poke. I am an old electrician and can handle the electrical problems.

I am concerned about the delamination problem... is that an expensive fix? can they (or I) go in from the inside and repair the exterior, then replace the interior?

I want to know a little more about what I am getting into before I take on another big project!

any advice or experience from the collective knowlege base is appreciated.

thanks,
Lkillebrew
lkillebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
lkillebrew

Default Re: 2004 Gulfstream Ultra W6280D

maybe I should have shortened the post... does anyone have any idea how to repair a 3' x 6' delamination problem near a window on a class c gulfstream... not a roof leak issue, a window leak issue.
thanks.
LK
lkillebrew is offline   Reply With Quote