Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
TexasJeff

Default Auto-leveling jacks

One of the bigger cost items is the auto leveling jack system and I've been looking around on line and on YouTube to see if anyone has anything on this. Is there someone out there on the forum that can speak to how this works and if the $1895 is worth the cost?
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
UAHaerospace

how it works on WHAT? Motorhome?
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
TexasJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAHaerospace View Post
how it works on WHAT? Motorhome?
Hi - yes. I'm trying to understand how an automatic leveling system works and am asking any GS owner who might have one 1) How the system works. i.e. do you just press a button and the system just does what it needs to do to level the coach? and 2) Do you feel it's worth the cost? Or, would you have rather just used the classic method of rolling up on a wedge, etc., to achieve the right level in a campsite?

Thanks in advance..
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
UAHaerospace

certainly any motorhome owner with an automatic leveling system will taut it's usefulness, ease of use, and automation, as compared to having to drive up on boards, blocks, etc - that's certainly not easy in a large motorhome.

Hydraulic leveling systems perform the work automatically, by accessing a 'level' controller mounted somewhere on the motorhome, many on the ceiling in a basement or cargo bay, since this is the 'floor' of the motorhome, and what you are ultimately wanting to be 'level'.
The system typically shows you what 'pair' of hydraulic jack legs that are 'low', such as front, rear, or driver side, passenger, or even two ends/corners, if needed.
You can either choose to hit 'Auto Level', in which case the system will do the calculations and start to run down the appropriate pair of legs, then the other legs, etc., and back and forth until it deems the coach 'level', OR you can choose 'Manual' mode and press the appropriate 'pair' of legs yourself, until YOU like how level it is. Generally, the system will tell you when IT thinks the coach is level, regardless.

It also 'automatically' retracts the legs when you want to move.

Is is 'worth' the cost? Deep pockets have no problems, but that's a LOT of money if you are not moving often and on unlevel ground quite often, but it sure is nice having it, no doubt.

Is your coach with air bags?
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
Stovebolter

One of the criterion on purchasing my new 2020 BT Cruiser that it be equipped with FACTORY installed leveling jacks. After a nationwide search I found only one and was happy with the other options also, but even the Factory installation was not of good quality. The left rear cylinder is mounted JAMMED under the black holding tank! The mounting brackets are welded to the truck frame so either I remove and reweld the bracket or elongate the mounting holes, either way I will have to reprogram the leveling system. I am very happy with the layout and options on the BT but quality workmanship is very diasappointing
Stovebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:12 AM   #6
Philipclopez
Gone traveling

Because of my small budget, I chose EAZ LIFT RV stabilizing jack to keep my RV. I believe they will stay with me for a long time
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:54 AM   #7
Henry111

I bought leveling blocks for my husband but they were actually for me so I didn't have to keep stacking the other leveling blocks! They are EXTREMELY easy to use and we had no problem with them flying in the grass when reversing. They are very sturdy and a great product in every way. We have a 35ft trailer with slides and they hold the weight with no problem.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #8
Bike Dr

Hello.
Just to add my two cents on the auto and manual!
I have a manual hydraulic system also and it has been very dependable now that being said.
When I pull in to a site I run down the lowest point Jack's and level it. Then stabilize the opposite end. Then roll side to side if needed. And have never had a problem!!

Now I have also had customers with the auto set up as mentioned above pull in to the site pop the brakes and hit the auto set up. It can be that simple and typically is.

BUT! the reason two coaches came to me, the first time the air bag was pulled apart and my first thought was faulty air bags as they were only three years old and mine were 15 at the time. Then it happened again and I wanted to know why and upon testing them I noticed when using the auto part the coach raised itself and in the process of leveling itself it all but raised the tires off the ground and at that point the bags were pulled and stressed so far they literally pulled right off the base.. I think the auto leveling is not something I want or need after seeing this issue. I just level and stabilize my coach and not raise it a mile off the ground. I have seen others raise their's way up on the Jack's but there is no need. Level and stabil is the key.. just my 2 cents save your money unless it's something you really want and like to spend money my manual system works perfect .good luck!!
This is for class a type mostly
Smaller rvs like BT and TT jacks don't lift they mainly stabilize.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 ATRIUM 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is online now   Reply With Quote