Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
Oldflyboy

Default Tire Balancing

While driving I notice a vibration about 63-63 and above. Its not bad or distracting but swing that it does not take much to wear tires out.

Looking to balance the front tires and the answer seems to be to put balancing beads in the tire.

I have done this with a motorcycle and it was awesome. No matter how the tire wear or reason, th tire beads move around every time the tire rotates and keeps the tires balanced.

Any one have an experience using balancing beads on a MH?
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

When I had new tires installed on our 40 foot diesel pusher with 22" rim tires they put balance beads in them, they worked great. They told me that it is the only way to balance the big tires on large trucks and coaches.

I guess they would work on the smaller class C tires.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
Seadog63

I just retired from 40 years of semi truck driving and had my tires balance by whom ever whether it be Goodyear Bridgestone etc. used weights on the rims but no beads
Seadog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
Oldflyboy

Well had the tires balanced at Discount Tire. Originally told me they would use balancing beads but when I showed up they told me that anything bigger than 16” they use beads but mine were only 16” so they balanced using weights.
Haven’t been on the road yet to check it out but they said they were a little off so should be gtg.
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
gwirth

The beads are a cheap way to balance the big tires in small shops. The last two sets I have had installed were high speed spin balanced. No vibration at all even at 75 mph. Only the large truck dealers will have a machine capable of balancing tires up to 24 inch diameter. Look around for a shop that can spin balance your tires. It will worth it.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
bsonterre

Default Front tires balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldflyboy View Post
While driving I notice a vibration about 63-63 and above. Its not bad or distracting but swing that it does not take much to wear tires out.

Looking to balance the front tires and the answer seems to be to put balancing beads in the tire.

I have done this with a motorcycle and it was awesome. No matter how the tire wear or reason, th tire beads move around every time the tire rotates and keeps the tires balanced.

Any one have an experience using balancing beads on a MH?
Had same problem tried beads, weights twice no help turns out belt came loose in Goodyear tires. New tires bounce gone
bsonterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
proost

I would take those front wheels into a shop and have them test how round the wheels are with the tires off. After two years on the road, I had to replace my newer tires for the same issue. They became worn on half of the inside and this follows two Michelin‘s that I had on the front with the same issue. All the hardware and alignment was good on the front. It turns though out that one of my wheels was out of round and so they moved that one to the back. This issue had caused my front axle to hop and it started to wear the other tire on the front as well.

So definitely check the condition of your wheels first. Mine was out of round just enough to cause this but not enough for me to have to replace it so we moved it to the back where there are four tires on that axle and the issue is held in check. Eventually I’m looking at aluminum.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
Texas Shriner

I had the tires shaved on my motorhome. Not cheap; but, it was the smoothest ride ever. As I recall there was no balancing required after that.
Texas Shriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

There is also an engine BELT vibration at certain engine speeds, in many FORD from serpentine, when they do not have driver side idler. Adding idler to existing mount cures issue for many. Can even squeal, or feel like valve ping for many?