Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #1
Willyt

Default 2002 GS Friendship Cat 330 alternator

Good day rv’ers !!
I think I might be having some charging problems( alternator?) Has anyone had the same issues with this model (8407). It only has 10k mi. on it. I hear the alternator is a bugger to get to also. Want to try and make it to warmer climate pretty soon, yea it’s going down to 9°
tonight and our mh lives outside… Dang it ! Getting on the frozen ground and taking our bedroom apart
dont sound like party to me ! So if anybody has any insight or has been thru it before, I would appreciate a shout back ! Thank You ! Willyt
Willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:29 AM   #2
JP10

Experiencing the same problem at the moment. Did you get any solution?
JP10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
Bike Dr

Hey boss a little more information would be helpful, what makes you think that? There are many variables to decide if it truly is the alternator, plus I noticed you mentioned really cold Temps, was it kept on a charge, what's the volt Guage indicate and could it be incorrect! Check the voltage while it's running and a good battery so you don't over work the alternator trying to compensate for a bad cell or under charged batts.. good luck
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:59 PM   #4
Willyt

Thanks Bike doc, I’ll look into that. With the engine running the volt meter was showing about 11.8v coming from the batteries, I’ll take a closer look at those batteries ! I’ve had the house batteries on a solar trickle charger, before I jump started it, the cranking batteries were down to 7.5v and the house batteries were at 8v. With the jump (car hooked up)it was reading 13.45v from engine batteries. Let it run for about an hour or so, shut it down, they read 12.5. Went out next day, figured I’d try it and it was sluggish with no start. Jumped it again, they were at 11.5 and house batteries at 12.5 so I’ll check the cells on those batteries for sure, they are about 4yrs old. Thanks for your advice !
Old 02-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #5
Willyt

Hey JP10, read my reply to Bike Dr. I’ll let you know what I found out when I ck the cells on those batteries.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
Willyt

Thought I was replying to you earlier, read my reply to Bike Dr I will let you know what I find out. If you find out anything before me I would appreciate any more info. Thanks !
Old 02-13-2022, 09:23 PM   #7
Bike Dr

Hey all, it sounds like willy has a bad cell issue, a bad cell will hold charge and lose it slowly over time.. next step I would pull each battery and pull a test on them to find the culprit..it seemed the alternator was trying to charge at 13v but may be working hard to compensate.. happy camping
Old 02-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #8
Dennis4809

With the batteries discharged that far, they may be toast. Get it started then use a meter to read the voltage at the batteries. Should be 13.5-14 or so. If so, alternates is doing as it should. Might be time for new batteries and a different plan for battery storage.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:04 PM   #9
Willyt

Today, checked all cells in house and crank batteries, still had fluid above plates in all cells. Topped off with distilled water. Followed another guys advice about priming generator for about a minute to get it started, that worked well along with jumping house bat with car, wanted to make sure I had strong current. Didn’t know how long I was going to have to crank But to my surprise it only took a few cranks and fired right up, hadn’t been able to get the 7.5 k running since we took it to the Ark in Aug. it was charging both sets for sure, Going to let that run tomorrow for a while see how the batteries take it. We’ll see, not given up on them yet ! With gen running it read 13.5-14 v and crank bats was climbing also. Tomorrow’s another day !
Old 02-15-2022, 11:12 PM   #10
Bike Dr

Hey great news!! Thats Good at 13.5 to 14.1v, I'm glad it's working out for you, no parts is a wonderful thing!! Now the gen will charge the batteries! But I thought the original ? Was about the main engine alt! That is not the same charging system as the generator charging!
Old 02-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
Willyt

Hey Bike Dr, your right, the verdict is not out yet on the alternator. With the generator running, the house batteries are showing 13.5- 14v but the cranking batteries are barely climbing to 12.5v. Should they be reading the same when gen is running ? I noticed too that if there is not enough voltage to start the engine, the whole instrument cluster will shut down, radio also never saw that before ! When I jumped started it, after a few minutes, I put it on high idle, went and did a few things, came back and the cluster was off with the engine running, went to take it off high idle, it wouldn’t let me. Now I’m thinking those batteries might not be chargeable after all . My next step is to take them out and go have them charged and put under a load, what are your thoughts ?? Thank you for your input !.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:11 PM   #12
Willyt

Bike Dr, can I check alternator v. output at the isolator?
Old 02-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #13
Bike Dr

It's best to check it right at the battery terminals so you know what you have right at the batteries and much easier then trying to get to the isolated terminal on the back of the alt! You should have 13.6 to around 14.1 or so..but I would load test each battery individually and make sure they are good if that alt is putting out 13 or higher it is trying to charge but could possibly be weak, so you have to eliminate the batteries as a part of the problem..and on my coach the gen doesn't charge the engine batts, the house only assists in staring the main engine if needed. The alt charges them I have 2 engine batteries
Old 02-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #14
Willyt

Bike Dr I will let you know what I find out, going to pick a warmer day !! . Thanks !
Old 02-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
ricklin

Default Not Awful

I too have a 2002 8407 with charging issues.

The best tool to determine the issue? Buy or rent (if possible) an Amp-Clamp
I mention rent because an amp clamp is a 50 dollar or more tool.

My trusty amp clamp and my eyes. No current out, and the belt is not slipping.

Must remove the bed to get at the alternator, not an awful task, about one half hour to get at it.

I installed a new alternator, works great now.

To save your alternator. If you have run the house batteries down fire up the gennie and charge for 15-20 minutes prior to engine start.

The alternator is in a poor location for cooling in the 8407, recharging the house batteries will reduce the load on the engine alternator.
ricklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:25 AM   #16
Willyt

Hey Ricklin, thanks for the info. Good to find someone with the same rig. Just wanted to let you know I got you message, will be touch later to pick your brain if that is ok ? Thanks, Willyt
Old 02-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #17
Bike Dr

Okay well since you too have the same coach, no more need for me to interfere, good luck gentlemen!! Hope all works out!!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #18
ricklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyt View Post
Hey Ricklin, thanks for the info. Good to find someone with the same rig. Just wanted to let you know I got you message, will be touch later to pick your brain if that is ok ? Thanks, Willyt
No worries Willy, I've owned my 8407 Friendship since 05.

In my case the alternator failed long ago, was not driving it much, I'd just run the Genset when driving to keep the batteries up.

On mine the "BIRD" relay had failed, the alternator was also bad.

I replaced it with a Duovac alternator, took a while to figure it out. all good now. I suspect I cooked off the alternator by using it to recharge house batteries, don't do that. Start up genset for 20 minutes or so, that will lighten the load on the engine alternator when you startup.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:00 PM   #19
Willyt

Hey Ricklin…. Willyt
I’ll apologize up front for all my questions!
Was you able to check out the alternator before you started taking the engine cover apart ? About the engine cover, I was going to take mine off at one point and ran into a snag after I took out all the visible screws. Couldn’t locate the rest. Are they buried in the carpet, heard you have to have a drywall magnet to find them. What did you run into there ?
What brand was the original alternator (amp rated) and what did you replace it with . How much is accessible from the top side ? Does it have a spring loaded idler pulley and did you replace your belt and pulley also ? Did you need two people, top and bottom? If you don’t mind sharing the cost and where you got it, I would appreciate it !! Oh…how long have you owned it and how many miles on it ? Thanks…
Willyt
Old 02-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #20
ricklin

Hi,
I would guess that the screw heads are buried in the carpet, they are Robertson style (square drive)
Mine came off quite easily. Look closely at the pattern of the screws holding it down to determine where the buried ones are.

I've got 52 K on my Cat 330 HP, love the powertrain, smooth and GREAT mileage. Look at your engine manual, peak torque is right at 60 MPH in 6th gear. On mine I get up to 62 to get 6th gear, I then back off to around 60 for a cruise speed. I routinely would get around 10 MPG towing a heavy Prius on a dolly.
J+R or J+S on EBay for the alternator, good helpful folks. If you have a bird relay it's a duovac system. Leece-Neeson alternator 160 amp.
Check the main relay for the BIRD, and that the BIRD is working correctly. The BIRD box is under your backside, IE the electrical fuse compartment below the drivers seat outside.
Lots of info online on how the BIRD system works, basically a relay system to permit the engine alternator to charge both battery banks.

The alternator has a spring loaded idler for the belt. One man can do the job, safe the spring on the idler from below, alternator is installed from above. Kroil is my favorite penetrating oil, you will likely need it depending on your climate. Diesel pusher engines have little protection from the outdoors.

Get an amp clamp, charging issues become very easy to figure out. In my case put the clamp on the cable from alternator to battery with engine running, no current. Confirm the alternator has voltage on the IGN. terminal when you get the bed boards out of the way. Good voltage on the IGN terminal and no output = dead alternator.
I think I saw it mentioned here about the poor cooling of the alternator in the 8407, after having changed mine out I agree, poor location menas we need to treat these alternators gently, charge up before you start up.