Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-24-2022, 04:45 PM   #1
RabbitStream

Default Gulfstream tourmaster 1998 ball joints boots replacement

I own a 40 ft , TM on a Spartan Chassis with IFS and all 4 ball joints rubbers are torned aparts...but have no play on the attachments. So is they're is a way to protect those ball joints from dust and debris or else ( split boots or else...) then dismentle everything down...? Thank You...
RabbitStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
hossross

I don't know about aftermarket boots for ball joints, but try NAPA and Auto Zone to see what they have. The best thing to do for now is over grease the joint until grease is totally filled the cup as it is the water and grime from the outside that will accelerate wear. If it can't get in, then no contamination, just normal friction wear. The lower needs grease quickly already. If you can't find cover boots, Looks like the ball joints press into the knuckle, so you'll need specialized equipment for that and if this is coil springs and not leaf, then have a shop do it. Coil springs can be difficult to control with simple jacks. Maybe you have air springs, anyway if the spring is pushing on either the upper or lower arm there is a lot of force to support the front of the coach. Air should be easiest in that you can dump all the pressure and control the force that way. All this assumes that you will need to replace the boots, and you can take the knuckle off and take to a shop to install new ball joints. You would need to get toe set, so might as well check caster and camber too.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
RabbitStream

Thank You...I still searching for a " split boot " for ball joint ...I read somewhere that it exist but do not remember Where ???
i still thinking about a way to protect the joining and that the frease stay put...
i appreciate your good advices...
Old 12-04-2022, 09:04 PM   #4
hossross

there are split inboard and outboard boots for the front wheel drive half shafts, but keep checking or fabricate your own with some of the new glues and materials, just remember that boot flexes up and down following movement of the arms and rotates or twists with the steering angle. Thats a lot of movement in such a small area. The one tear might be bonded with glueing the edge to edge or a patch, the upper look pretty gone. But clean up good so you can see what needs repaired and in you can get a good bond to the rubber. Glues are advertised to bond well enough to hold air in a tire. Could be worth a few bucks to give it a try if your going the route of boot repair.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:56 PM   #5
RabbitStream

Anyone here installed some Wanderlodge split boots on they're IFS ball joint as mine...( see upper pics on first posting) ...and how it when..?
Old 02-05-2023, 10:04 AM   #6
RY469

Are the joints solid, or sloppy? Am guessing there's wear and they are getting sloppy. If you plan to keep the coach, might be money well spent to have a shop replace these joints. Just installing new rubber boots is kind of like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:34 PM   #7
RabbitStream

As the coach TM have only 57,000km or 35,500 miles...so the 4 ball joint on the FiS are solid state...i'm sure but will check them before any boots fix or rubbers repair. Replacing all 4 in a RV shop cost $6,000 cand. fund. so worth the split boots try out...
Old 02-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #8
RY469

I like Hossross's idea of over-servicing them to protect with fresh grease. Over servicing is what probably blew them out to start with, but not a bad idea now. I have used split boots for CV joints. They might work in this application.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:55 PM   #9
RabbitStream

You are 100% right...the ideas is fixing the rubbers boots on a tight good ball joint. i do not want to replace ball joints when there are still as new...but cheap rubber materials because the previous owner replaced them already...
i just need to find the right split boots that will do the job.
and i'm sure some GS TM owners already did that fix...so i'm looking for a p/n or place it's been bought...