Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-03-2022, 04:23 AM   #1
RabbitStream

Default Diesel Pusher Winter Storage

Hello ....i would like to know if some Peoples start the engine one's a month during the winter storage to make everything turnning for 45 mins to 1 hour...and if it's good to do so...
My Motorhome is in a hangar , not heated, and plugged to the 120vac 30 amp. all the time. What do you thing ???
RabbitStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
Bike Dr

It sounds like where you keep it and having a little power to keep the batteries up should be fine. I cover my 40' coach from mid December to the end of February with only a cord for keeping the charge on the batteries. But not starting it for just shy of 3 months does not hurt anything as I make sure it has been serviced before placing it in storage under cover and all is winterized. When I pull the cover the ol girl fires right up every time.
Hope this helps a little!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 ATRIUM 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2005 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
RabbitStream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Dr View Post
It sounds like where you keep it and having a little power to keep the batteries up should be fine. I cover my 40' coach from mid December to the end of February with only a cord for keeping the charge on the batteries. But not starting it for just shy of 3 months does not hurt anything as I make sure it has been serviced before placing it in storage under cover and all is winterized. When I pull the cover the ol girl fires right up every time.
Hope this helps a little!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 ATRIUM 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2005 Mini Cooper
Forgot to tell that i'm in North of Canada with lots of Snows and - 30°C or - 22 F. ...average, here freezzzzzing weather.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
Dennis4809

Thousands of Diesel engines in farm equipment are used seasonally then set unused and not started until the following season. No reason to start unless going to be used.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
hossross

Diesels barely generate heat at idle and under no load, so you are putting gallons of water (water, carbon dioxide, monoxide, many other combustion products and soot) in the exhaust system, and not generating enough heat to boil it off so it is very bad for the exhaust. The oil is not going to get hot enough either. So if you don't have a use for it, let it be.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #6
RabbitStream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossross View Post
Diesels barely generate heat at idle and under no load, so you are putting gallons of water (water, carbon dioxide, monoxide, many other combustion products and soot) in the exhaust system, and not generating enough heat to boil it off so it is very bad for the exhaust. The oil is not going to get hot enough either. So if you don't have a use for it, let it be.

OK...You are Right...i will do that... :- )
Old 12-11-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
Vauxhall guy

A fuel stabilizer specifically for diesel fuel is a good idea. I add it to my tractor's fuel every winter before storing it.
Vauxhall guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:08 PM   #8
mcruff

I fire my Cat 3126 up every 10-14 days and let it run at 1200rpm for 15-20 minutes. At that time the engine is up to 155-160 degrees, the oil is nice and warm, maybe 140 degrees. Albeit i don't live anywhere near that far north but it does stay an average of around 30-35 degrees in the winter where I live at night.