Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Willerus

Default 2005 GS BT Crusier turbo fart

Hi Folks,

I'm a new RV owner and new to this site so please bear with me.

Just curious if anyone has experience with the Ford 6.0l Power Stroke Diesel? This RV is new to me and only has 17000 miles. Anyway after having it out for the first time I noticed what I now know to be turbo farting when shifting gears and or letting for the throttle quickly. This happens more within the fist few miles of driving. It scared the heck out of me the first time but now I kind of expect it. Do I Have anything to be concerned with?
Here is a link to a you tube video that is the exact noise I am talking about.
Not my truck but just for a reference.

Thank you for reading

Will
Willerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Biobug

The International 6.0 Powerstroke does the same thing. I think in the
300 hp version it is worse. I have had my VT 365 into International 4 times
for it -primarily because with mine , it triggered a CEL each time. Most
folks on this forum with the International 6.0 have had the same issue
but with the latest download in programming it is not as severe as it
was at first. I think that it is the "nature of the beast" but it is not right.

"There comes a time in a mans life that he must
take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
Biobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Willerus

Hey thanks Biobug,

Well that is a little reassurance...

I wonder if there is a firmware upgrade for the ford as well? Ill have to look it to that.

Thanks again for the post! I will keep you informed with the info I get.

Will
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Curt

Maybe its the nature of the beast but its not right. I'm a fairly new GS owner with the v365. I've meet several times with International and they have asked that I return with some new concerns I have. I live in Colorado so I do much of my driving in the mountains. When pulling a long grade during a change in engine speed (shifting) causing the turbo fart (dump pressure) it jerks my entire unit. I believe this will cause damage to my drive line over time. I'm amazed that over the years owners of these units haven't joined together to force International and GS to correct this problem. Other than this I love the RV.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Willerus

I hear ya Curt. I live in Illinois where there isint a hill to be found and I still get this when shifting. ON A EMPTY RV no less. When I have some time i plan on running this thing over to my mechanic to get his opinion. I am hoping that the vanes in the turbo just need to be cleaned or something like that. After all it is only a 2005 with 16000 miles. From what I have been reading these engines need to be run often in order to minimize the gunk build up so maybe that is all it is. Here is for hoping right! Needless to say I am a little worried about running it far from home until I get some answers, and that really sucks because that's the whole reason for buying one of these.

Thanks Curt
Will
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Texas TC

I guess I have learned to "drive around" this issue. It drove me crazy when I first got my SuperNova. I initially thought it was an Allison problem since it occurred when the transmission shifted to higher gears. However, I have found that driving in the economy mode and letting the shifts occur at a lower RPM tends to stop most, if not all, of the annoying sounds coming from the turbo. I drove about 650 miles today from Phoenix to Flagstaff and on to close to the New Mexico/Texas border and I heard the turbo maybe twice when using the passing gear on hills. That is one time that it is difficult to "soft shift". I try to catch the point where I crest a hill and let off the accelerator so the turbo softly disengages but I missed it a couple of times today. Mine has never been violent enough to shake the coach. It is just that annoying sound.

I agree that this should not be an issue and International should be able to provide a fix. I now have almost 40000 miles on my coach and no International dealer I have dealt with has come up with a solution so I just "drive around" it.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Biobug

It would be interesting to have a chip or performance tune done to see if it helps. I have found that there are 3 plug and play upgrades that advertise a 2 mpg and 20-30 % power increase. I found online that Kemperformance owner actually owns a Gulfstream Conquest VT 365 so I contacted him through his website about the "fart" and he said he had tuned his up to give
over 2 mpg increase and more power while still being in factory parameters for pressure;etc The only problem for me to try his program is I would have to go to Georgia to have him do it. He did say that by design that the turbo fart will never completely go away.
I too have decided to "drive around" the problem by switching off the cruise when I think that it might happen. I sometimes think it will when it shifts down on a hill and then crests the hill allowing it to shift up yet still on a slight incline. That is when the "back and forth" indigestion seems to be at its worst. That is where I go off cruise and feather the throttle around what might happen.
I am going to order a programmer on monday that claims 2 mpg increase and a increase in power. It also has a 30 day guarantee. It features a switch on the fly adjustment. I don't care about more power
but if I can change the shift points a little I think it will help. It also is easy to unplug if it goes back to International. I would NOT do it if I was happy with the stock setup from International but I am Not happy with there transmission killing programming. They should be ashamed by the
problem we are plagued with.
I have "chipped" my other diesels with aftermarket tunes and have no issues but have increased milage with each. (a VW TDI , a Dodge Cummins and a Jeep Liberty CRD-our toad). I will lelt you know the results within a month. If it helps I will keep it . I am going with a Diablo
tuner specifically for the VT 365. I also have found several companies selling the same unit at several price points. There sold for $275 to $375
for the same unit. I will talk to them on Monday directly before I buy because I have found some bad feedback from one purchaser who said it did nothing. I will question them about it and let you know.

"There comes a time in a mans life that he must
take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
Biobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
OldMasterTech

Default Re: 2005 GS BT Crusier turbo fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willerus
Hi Folks,

I'm a new RV owner and new to this site so please bear with me.

Just curious if anyone has experience with the Ford 6.0l Power Stroke Diesel? This RV is new to me and only has 17000 miles. Anyway after having it out for the first time I noticed what I now know to be turbo farting when shifting gears and or letting for the throttle quickly. This happens more within the fist few miles of driving. It scared the heck out of me the first time but now I kind of expect it. Do I Have anything to be concerned with?
Here is a link to a you tube video that is the exact noise I am talking about.
Not my truck but just for a reference.

Thank you for reading

Will
Don't know if this applies to your problem but I recently attended a service seminar on the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke and we were advised that turbo failures due to rusted vanes are not uncommon on seldom used vehicles such as dedicated plow trucks or RVs.
Ford is solving the problem on the next generation of Powerstrokes by using stainless steel vanes in the turbo.
OldMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
steve.k

Default Turbo farts

I beleive the sound we all hear is just the turbo dumping excess boost,if it did not do this we would be replacing air to air tubes and hoses and such.I did add a tuner to mine and it does the same thing but not quite as much as it has a little more power and does not shift as many times.My 08 Ford f-350 does it even more and runs twin turbos so its not just a 6.0 litre deal.
Steve
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Willerus

Hey the site is back!

Hey i just want to fill everyone in. After having the Rv for a while the problem has all but gone away.. During the winter i made sure to drive it a few times a month and keep everything moving. This did the trick......Moral of the story, Drive the damn thing and don't baby it

Thanks to everyone who replied

Will
Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
schmittm

I have a 2008 6372 and had this problem. International replced the turbo last year and it still does it a little, not as much as the first turbo did. I also run a TSDiesel programer and it didn't make a difference. I do think I get a little better mileage and I can tell there is more power, but it did not stop the turbo farting. The back pressure make the vains in the turbo slip or jerk and this won't stop with more power. The only way around it is to probably put on a different turbo, but I still have warranty left so won't be doing that. I have just learned to drive around it, fortunately it doesn't happen often. Mine only does it at low RPMs if I lug it around and it is wanting to downshift but I don't let it.
If yours is doing it all the time I would suggest getting your turbo replaced on warranty.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
steve.k

The noise everyone is hearing is when the waste gate dumps,this is normal as when you shift the turbo is at high boost and it needs to dump for the next gear as your rpm drops.I've had several fords with these engines including 6.4 and it does the same under heavy load.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Willerus

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info but the 6.0 does not have a waste gate. It has a vgt. (variable geometry turbo)
The vains actually change to let the air dump through the intake and if it is not driven often they can stick
Causing this nasty sound.
Seems like the wrong kind of engine to put into a motorhome in my opinion.
Thanks again
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #14
steve.k

Thanks Willerus,I did not know that the 365 was without a wastegate,it uses this variable vane setup.I would assume however it has to dump like a wastegate thus making the sound.Thats why I thought it was like my other navistar engines they all did it and i never had any issues with them with lots of miles.I dont seem to have a problem with the noise even my f350 does it and it has since new.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Wildblue

Wow... I had no idea that it didn't have a wastegate. That's rather important for turbocharged systems. I can see how this alternative would not be optimal. Here's a thought--could we add a wastegate to the system? Shouldn't be terribly hard, just tap off the compression piping between the turbocharger and headers. I don't see how adding a wastegate would harm anything, just relieve excess pressure as it's designed to do.

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Wildblue is offline   Reply With Quote