Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Curt Krueger

Default Rear Closet, Rear Cap Problem

Have a 2005 Crescendo triple slide. I have noticed some dirt getting into my rear closet ceiling and also some streaks of dirt coming out from under the crown molding on the bedroom ceiling. Upon closer examination I have removed some trim from the sides in the closet and it appears there is an opening from outside air into the ceiling and behind the walls in this closet that appears to start around the engine air inlet high up on the rear cap. I can actually see daylight thru an opening between the metal stiffener in the ceiling of the closet. This opening appears to be about 12" long. I have tried to look into this opening using a small inspection mirror but can't get a good look . I have also shined a light into the air box screen to try to see the problem area hoping that I might be able to seal the leak from outdside, but no luck.

To make a long story short, has anybody come across this problem before and if so , how did you deal with it. In order to get acess to the area it would involve removal of all the wall board and probably the floor to gain visual acess.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Curt

PS Alot of the dirt appears to be diesel exhaust residue
Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
rob

we just bought a used unit and the wife found the same problem in rear closet, the dealer used alot of liquid foam, not sure how they did it but it sure helped. I will look closer today and see if i can find out more info.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Curt Krueger

Default Rear Closet, Rear Cap Problem

rob,
thanks for the info, I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. I did repair it using thick foam tape , one sided adhesive. I removed all the moulding around the top of the closet, on the ends there is a metal frame, I placed aluminum tape along all the openings on the end and put the foam tape up against the wall board and the ceiling where there is an opening about one quarter inch all along the top. I then nailed the molding back up sandwiching the foam tape between the moulding and the wall board.

We just returned from a 7000 mile trip back east and no sign of a leak.

We hope you enjoy your coach, is it the diesel model?

Curt
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
rob

Yes it is diesel. it has a 300 cummings, it seems to have more than enough power.
That dealer put alot of foam around the back cap on the inside where dirt could in, there seemed to be alot of empty space back there. they used alot which i can't see would hurt anything, it just looks a little tacky to have to use foam to fill all the holes. then the spray painted it black to make it look better.