Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
gsadmin

Default Which new awning?

If you have read my other recent post you know that I now need a new awning. I have looked at all the A&E ones at CW and I have to say I like the idea of an automatic/power awning. That said there are negatives with them as well.

Here is what I see as the positives and negatives of a power awning. Please post up what your personal thoughts and experiences are so that I can make a decision.

Power Awning
Positives
- Easy to deploy
- Easy to retract when weather is upon you
- Seem more secure to rig in terms of billowing, etc.
- Wind sensor for auto retract
- Plus for coach resale

Negatives
- Expensive
- If they fail, they are a pain to manually retract
- rain dumping features are hit/miss (according to reviews i have read)
- Even without rain on top, some have reported bowed main supports
- Cannot drop lower to block sun at obtuse angles - less sun coverage (Does not apply to Carefree eclipse which can do this)
- more expensive install
- more stuff to break

So, which way should I go, manual or electric? And, then which brand, A&E or Carefree?

[/list]
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
earljan34

For my money I would stick with the manual! This past Sept. we were next to a MH with a new automatic awning we had heavy rain and it did not dump water or retract just bent couldn't be retracted had to be removed before he could move the MH so for me it's manual! As far as which brand I have had good luck with both as a matter of fact I have both brands on this Sun Voyager as A&E didn't make a window awning that would fit it. Good Luck and sorry to hear about your problems!

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
RV Wizard

I too would go with the manual awning. I prefer the acrylic with a metal weather guard. This guard should nearly prevent any billowing out while traveling. Good luck and take care.
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
gsadmin

What would prevent me with going with something like this?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgro ... ome&pos=13

I realize it runs off of 110V, but I have an inverter.

They use these type (without arms) on super high end rigs...carefree makes one...their top of the line.

I know its not made specifically for an RV but its made to be out in the weather.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
WE B RVN

gsadmin

Very interesting question that you have put before us today. It has been several years ago, but I checked into just that. At that time, it would not hold up to high winds in the closed position, like driving at 70 mph plus 15 mph head wind. They have made some changes since then. However, I would check the small print on that issue. It may present some different problems in mounting it, but I think they could be overcome. The Sun Setter extends out 10 foot from the wall. That is 2 foot farther then the standard rv awning. To me, that is a big plus. However, that will add some weight. That issue could compromise the structural integrity of your rv. I think it is worth checking into, but be very careful. Also, 18 foot length is the longest available. I would be interested myself, but I need a 24 foot awning. I will have a new one installed this spring. I have had both Carefree and A & E. I'm going with the A & E 9000 woven acrylic fabric and metal weathershield. It's a manual operating unit. The 9000 now has a piston-action automatic rain dump. I prefer a manual unit, however I did consider an electric just so I would not have to hang out my wife's lights every time the awning goes out.

Good Luck
Kevin
WE B RVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
gsadmin

Oh, and one more thing, what are the pluses and minuses of Acrylic vs. vinyl. The CW guy said that the vinyl was better...i was like, then "why is acrylic more $ and why is it what they use on the higher end models?" he had no answer.

thoughts? I am in UT so sun is the real deal out here.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
earljan34

Never gave that type of awning a thought might work, as far as vinyl or acrylic I have had both I think the acrylic is a better choice only my opinion.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
RV Wizard

Acrylic fabric breaths and therefore is cooler under it than a vinyl awning. Also the woven acrylic is not suseptable to delamination as a vinyl can be from the wind flapping it.
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
WE B RVN

gsadmin

I have had four vinyl and two acrylic awnings. Cleaning is a major issue for me. I am mostly a weekender and the awning is closed more than open. With the vinyl, I was cleaning the underside by hand three or four times a year. With the acrylic, I have never cleaned it, just spray it off with a hose occasionally and it's good to go. The only down sides I can think of is if it is over 18 foot they can tend to sag a little in the middle. However, a center rafter will take care of that. Also they take a little longer to dry. I have rolled mine up wet quite often and weeks later unrolled it and I have never had any mold. I think the acrylic is much more appealing to look at. I agree with RV Wizard, the acrylic is much cooler to sit under.

Kevin
WE B RVN is offline   Reply With Quote