Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-11-2022, 11:27 PM   #1
sailchessi

Default Bought '08 Vista Cruiser MB 2500 Today!

I'm a regular on forums, try to help others, will be immediately reaching out to y'all about my "new to me" Sprinter RV. I have had two 40 foot Newmars and decided to attempt to make a Class B+ work for me and my needs. I'm a car guy and want to use it to tow my race car to tracks and perhaps attempt to get my wife to come on trips. She really liked the luxury coaches I had. Several of my friends are Class B size, both bought new so don't have my challenges, one a Leisure Travel and the other a Winnebago, both gas engine versions. I'm a diesel guy. i have a 2013 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec and really wanted the V6 in a Sprinter RV, but buying cheap won out for me. Lot's of sweat equity and $$$ coming no doubt. Started today.

My 2008 is a two owner from West Texas. Since 2014 by an older gentleman (heck, I'm 62 and think I'm 47!). He had his grandson bring it to "the big city of Austin" to sell it. I just kind of lucked into it after six months of no sale. It was very dusty, faded, decal stripes are terrible, nothing worked in the coach due to dead Onan MicroLite 2500 LP generator and dead NEW (4/21) 900 CCA battery let go totally dead over the last several months. So I am taking a chance. He said the genset used to click, nothing now. Couldn't plug it in so don't know if the AC, furnace, microwave or fridge work. Plumbing is unknown. Did it get winterized or not. Is it all trash? Hope not.

I'd love to know how to get all these roll-top bin covers to move freely. Seems they just "ride" in the wood groove so perhaps just some soap? Silicone? Assuming the generator wasn't used for years, has anyone dealt with this? Remove it, and replace the carb? Try to clean it and put back in? Can you just keep cleaning and fixing until it runs and get it running sitting on your workbench? Any advice of the steps to get it back alive. I think it is virtually no hours, but don't know, display won't work until it is on.

Has anyone found one of these for parts at one of the RV Salvage yards? I need the black trim piece, passenger panel behind/under the slide door.

Any tips or tricks to make it more livable. I mean the bathroom is tiny, is there any strategy to modifying the door and space for showers? Water heater is a total unknown, advice? I'm about to spend a few days reading the manuals, perhaps it is a standard RV water heater.

I bought it this morning and then spent literally 12 hours straight cleaning the engine and generator, washing the entire outside starting with the roof, scrubbing it to a shine over all. Then took everything out of the interior and cleaned it, learned a lot about it. The cubby under the passenger seat on the side, the cubbies in the lower door panels (apparently all three never used by this guy).

I'll be asking this stuff in targeted posts but wanted to say hello.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4925.jpg (142.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4934.jpg (192.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4947.jpg (64.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4988.jpg (185.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4957.jpg (126.7 KB, 5 views)
'08 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser MB 2500 after selling my spectacular 40 footer '05 Newmar Mountain Aire, 400 ISL, quad slide, incredible. Had a 41 foot Dutch Star before that. Drive '91 Acura NSX, '07 Honda S2000, '02 S2000 at the track. Have a fleet of high-end road cyclists.
sailchessi is offline   Reply With Quote