Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #1
wfeffer

Default 1996 Tourmaster lurching issue

I've got the oddest issue hopefully I can properly explain it. 3 years ago when I first bought the RV I noticed that the cruise control didn't work well. When I'd set the speed the rig would start to jump gears back and forth between 5 and 6. So I didn't use it again for a year or so and then tried again but thought perhaps the engine brake being on didn't jive well with the cruise control so I turned it off and it worked great.

Suddenly a few days ago 2000 miles into a cross country drive the issue returned. I started flipping the engine brake on and off, the cruise main switch off and on and after some combo it seemed to work again. This happened a couple more times and flipping switches always seemed to "reset" it.

Today the issue returned and wouldn't stop so I drove without cruise but then I started to get random lurches. At first I thought it was dropping into 5th or 4th but it happened so quickly I couldn't look at the Allison gear selector, but I could see the RPMs actually dropping when the lurches happened.

So I'm wondering if something in my engine braking system is malfunctioning I think I have an exhaust brake as I can't hear the stereotypical big rig rat a tat tat you get with a jake brake. Where is the valve located on the exhaust? Can I disable it to test my theory?

Cummins M11 400HP engine and Allison transmission
wfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
wfeffer

Any thoughts? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
Hansonclan

Have it scanned for codes first
Hansonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
mitch51

Default mitch51

I own a 2006 Endura with a 5500 Chevrolet Duramax diesel. I had the same type of problems with mine right after buying it. i took it back where I bought it and come to find out it needs to have the fuel filter changed out every 10000 miles. After that was done I didn't have any more problems. You may have the same problem if you have a diesel.
mitch51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
wfeffer

Interesting. I would do that, but I cannot find my fuel filter. It's not where the manual says it should be and I've checked everywhere around the engine bay and all the way up to the fuel tank....
Old 01-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
dougdhc

Have you tried turning off the engine brake
dougdhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
mitch51

Did you find the fuel filter or anything else to fix your problem? Good luck!
mitch51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
wfeffer

Of course I tried turning off the engine brake. It’s almost always off unless I’m going down hill.

I still haven’t resolved the issue. I’ve tried a number of things from gas additives, replacing the engine brake switch checking all the connections and fuses and hunting for the fuel filter which is still MIA. I have an appointment with Cummins on Monday in Phoenix. Hopefully they can figure it out. I think it’s a stuck solenoid in the jake brake.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:48 PM   #9
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfeffer View Post
Of course I tried turning off the engine brake. It’s almost always off unless I’m going down hill.

I still haven’t resolved the issue. I’ve tried a number of things from gas additives, replacing the engine brake switch checking all the connections and fuses and hunting for the fuel filter which is still MIA. I have an appointment with Cummins on Monday in Phoenix. Hopefully they can figure it out. I think it’s a stuck solenoid in the jake brake.
Did you ever get this resolved? Had something a bit similar. Allison 6-speed and just started today but some of my symptoms were a bit more predictable such as starting from 1st and the control pad would reboot and drop me into neutral and a shifting issue that caused a reboot between 5th and 4th.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:05 PM   #10
dougdhc

Default Fuel filter location

Quote:
Originally Posted by proost View Post
Did you ever get this resolved? Had something a bit similar. Allison 6-speed and just started today but some of my symptoms were a bit more predictable such as starting from 1st and the control pad would reboot and drop me into neutral and a shifting issue that caused a reboot between 5th and 4th.
I have a 99 40 foot TourMaster and The fuel filter is located driver side, rear engine compartment back in front of the rear bumper. It looks like it’s a oil or a hydraulic filter but mine is red and The lines going to it are large, which I thought it was an oil filter or hydraulic because of the size of the lines but we took it off and found it was full of fuel. Yeah, I was having a problem with the motor, just losing power and not shifting properly. we changed the fuel filter and all the problems went away, give it a try and let me know
dougdhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:51 PM   #11
wfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proost View Post
Yup mine turned out to be a bad ground on engine. It was super loose and was actually briefly for fractions of a second cutting power to the entire rig.

Tags
braking, cruise control, engine