Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
gdmercad

Default 2013 Visa 19 ERD Door Hydraulic Unit

After getting some camping days in, I noticed that the door hydraulic connection on the door had two loose screws. I tightened the screws and notice that when the door was cycled the connection flexed the frame. In addition, I noticed that there were three screw holes in the connection, but only two screws ever installed (no third hold in door). I am concerned with the movement and was wondering if others were experiencing this and if they only had two screws installed. See attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_7238.JPG (215.4 KB, 1474 views)
gdmercad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
CaptRon

Default Re: 2013 Visa 19 ERD Door Hydraulic Unit

Mine too, Mine only has two screws both work loose after tightening ... the third hole is too close to the edge of the door. A screw in there would likely interfere with the gasket on the other side. I assume that's why there is only two screws in it.

I was thinking that I should through bolt the door part. I was also wondering why the angle is so severe. Maybe the part that bolts to the coach could be reversed although that would put the ball joint on the bottom ... maybe that would eventually keep falling off? If the socket is captive enough it should be an issue. Might need a shim to position the bracket a bit farther out from the coach side as well as raise it up a bit just to clear the door swing at full open?

I've also just considered removing it altogether. With the door open, it is kind off in the way when you're sitting out under the awning. It might be better folded back and latched to the coach side if you want it open.

Just thinking out loud here. Anyone else have any ideas?
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
charby

Upon delivery of our unit, the screws pulled out of the trailer. A technician re-attached the bracket, and was sturdy while we used it. We found it restricted access when awning was attached to trailer, and may be better if removed. I removed the strut and attached handle and bracket to door and trailer, which can keep door wide open, which we now perfer.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
CaptRon

I may end up removing mine too. I drilled my door bracket through and used two stainless bolts. I had a couple of left over ss barrel nuts so those went on the inside for appearance. Silicone caulk in the holes should keep water out.

If I remove the gas spring and open the door all the way it only opens as far as the plastic wheel well fairing. I guess there's probably a door 'hold-open' chunk of hardware that'll work to hold the door open just short of that wheel well plastic.
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
philabele

We put a third screw into the frame using the empty hole. That seemed to secure the hinge and prevent flexing, which was causing the original screws to work loose. About a year since making this improvement and all seems well.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote