Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
charby

Default Waxing the Visa

SOLD
Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Default Re: Waxing the Visa

Quote:
Does anyone wax the roof?
Yes, I do wax the roof of my 19ERD. And I use the same wax that I used on my previous travel trailer that I had for 10 years and was still like knew when I sold it last year. The wax is simply the Nu Finish.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
RinconVTR

The streaks can be removed with any degreaser, like simple green, but any protectant will be removed too.

So I used an orbital buffer to wax the front/back and side, but I dont do the roof. (Can we stand up there???)

Once the wax is applied, the dirty black streaks do not come back as quickly.

I use the same automotive wax I use for my cars. Typically the latest Mothers or Mequires.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
(Can we stand up there???)
I do but I'm only 180 pounds. And I do ''walk'' on my knees to avoid sliding down especially when it' s clean and well waxed...

On my 19ERD, the roof has a very good support in the center by the bathroom walls on the left side and the shower walls on the other side. I did walk on my previous TT (Palomino ultralight) for 10 years for cleaning and even remove the snow in winter with a soft broom and I never had any trouble.

You need to wax fiberglass roof and walls if you don't want the surfaces to became very chalky and rough after a few years (3-4).
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
sdasaro

Hi,
Im a newbe to both the forum and rving. Actually although, I have narrowed down my rv quest to the visa 19 or rpod with a slider, I have been a boat owner for over 40 yrs. This makes me very familiar to the care and feeding of fiberglass (FG) in a hostile salt water and air environment. Through trial and error I've found Colonite "Insulator" to be the most durable finish available. Add to that the fact that both the Colonite FG cleaner and the Insulator should not leave u with the feeling that your going to die before u finish cleaning/waxing because they rub on and off with equal ease. I use a wheel myself and get truly pro results. On the water I usually go over the transom about 2 twice a season (April-October). The transom suffers station wagon effect being constantly bombarded with salt spray so it gets the brunt of the abuse. Except for the bow I guess but luckily I don't see much of that when the boats in the water LOL. Hope this helps.
BTW I am looking for a 2011/2012 19 erd or rbs. A dealer told me GS changed the laminating tecknique in 2012 due to delaminating of earlier models (of course he didn't have either a used 11 or 12). Can someone give me a read on this?
BungaloStephen
sdasaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
JimG

I have been a steady user of Protect All. CW among others sells it. You just spray on, towel around and a light buff off. It works on the glass too. I have had a film of dust on the glass and just a tap of a finger and it fell off in a sheet. It was originally created for small aircraft owners to keep their flexible flyers slick. It resists bugs well and leaves a good shine. Quite durable too. I wax two times per year with it and when I do finally sell whatever I have used it on the buyers always say it shines like new. Fast and easy to do my 23ERD Visa I also use it on the hitch frame and bumper. Won't hurt plastics or rubber tires or seals. You could not pay me to change!

I have a friend who swears by Synwax (a soft paste wax with silicone) so I tried it on my motorcycle. Not hard to use as it buffs off quite easily but how can you beat a spritz, towel around and buff off?

JimG
2012 Visa 23ERD
Ford Flex TV
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote