Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
lockdoc

Default as another season is coming to a close....

I thought I would take a moment to note how much fun it is to own my Gulfstream Sedona! I frequent this forum but usually just read what is going on and don't spend too much time commenting. I realized that most of what I read here is about the problems that we have and not too many take time to talk about some of the positives. So my post today is all about the positives:

I have logged over 4000 miles this summer on my 5th wheel and the made in China tires held up wonderfully!

I added the Max Air covers so I can now leave two of my vents open all the time! When I get to my destination the RV is much cooler now!

My family got one last vacation in this summer as our kids left us empty nesters shorlty thereafter!

Gulfstream is trying to stay on top of the customer service issues. I currently have what might be called a big issue and they are handling it with concern.

I got to use my 5th wheel to stay in our membership resort at Hart Ranch this summer for the first time!

My 5th wheel was used as a mini hotel for a bunch of teenagers that were with me at a very large christian music festival! Boondocking at its' finest!!!

Well....I think that is pretty much it for now. I wanted you and Gulfstream to know that I enjoy and appreciate my rv and that once in awhile I think it is nice to read something positive!
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
lockdoc

Default Re: as another season is coming to a close....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdoc
Gulfstream is trying to stay on top of the customer service issues. I currently have what might be called a big issue and they are handling it with concern.
Hi all-

Just a quick note to follow up on this part of my post of last week. I was contacted by GS and the issue I eluded to is going to be taken care of as I expected. My 5er will have to go back to the factory to fix the issue and they (GS) are sending a transport to pick up my unit for repairs at factory and then will re-deliver to me. I think this is great service and I think with all of the negatives any company gets....it is equally important to tell when they score a home run!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Kathy

Send a message via MSN to Kathy Send a message via Yahoo to Kathy

congrats on a good summer with your 5er. We will be pulling ours for the last time on Sat. of this week, as we have just sold it and will be delivering it for the next family to enjoy. It has been in our family for 7 years and has been problem free for 90% of that time. All issues we had with it was handled in the first year to our satisfaction. It has been a good 5er and we will miss it. But our children have left home so it is time to move to an empty nester unit. So the shopping has begun for us to find the new unit.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
lockdoc

Kathy,

Enjoy the process with your new search! We just went out again last weekend and we are considering going again this weekend.

We found a way to get rid of the formaldahide smell too!!! Camp with someone who likes a perpetual campfire and make sure that your windows are open on your camper and you are directly in line with the smoke...... now all we can smell is campfire smoke and my wife isn't real happy about that! To her it isn't a camper as much as her home on wheels and a perpetual camfire sitter she is not! lol Oh well....I will have to burn some cookies in the oven or something and we will forget about the campfire I would think.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Kathy

Send a message via MSN to Kathy Send a message via Yahoo to Kathy
Default on the road again

Good luck with the fresh air issue. We are on the road again. We found a new 5er and just pulled it home. It has the floor plan we had dreamed of. We did have to change to a KZ Durango to get the plan we wanted. We wanted to stay with a local dealer and we have no Gulf Stream dealers in our area at this time. We installed the max air vent covers to help with the ventilation issues. That way when we are not staying in it we leave the vents open.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
lockdoc

Default Re: as another season is coming to a close....

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all-

Just a quick note to follow up on this part of my post of last week. I was contacted by GS and the issue I eluded to is going to be taken care of as I expected. My 5er will have to go back to the factory to fix the issue and they (GS) are sending a transport to pick up my unit for repairs at factory and then will re-deliver to me. I think this is great service and I think with all of the negatives any company gets....it is equally important to tell when they score a home run!!!
I thought it would be important to give you all the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would have said it! In retrospect when I re-read my posts on this issue I now get a sarcastic smirk on my face.

Our Sedona was built in such a way that the plywood bottom(outside) of our slides were absorbing water without our knowing and getting punky in the corners. After sending a bunch of pics to them Gulfstream agreed that it wasn't right and they would stand behind the fix to this problem. They sent a transport team up to haul our 5er back to the factory where it sat for 6 months before it got looked at. (I had told them that they could keep it for the winter as long as I had it back by the end of March)

I now have my 5er back and they only did the work on 2 of the 3 slides and I was told that they used the newest and current production materials for the new floor panels. Whereas I had plywood bottom that was covered with a white plastic sheeting now I have a partical board bottom that is covered in a black paper!!!!! They didn't do the 3rd slide because they said they could not find anything wrong with it. Within the first minute after the driver stopped in my yard I was looking at the damaged area on the slide floor bottom that was not redone.

The techs that worked on it ran screws up from the bottom and sunk them into the floor partical board material about half the thickness and did not bother to seal the screw holes with silicone. They did not seal where the large electrical cord goes up into the large slide. They damaged my livingroom wall and the trim around my large slide is cracked and sticking out!!! It looks like something was wedged in there when they were testing or working on it. I had asked them to remove one of my sliding windows and remove the paper label or whatever is in there that makes such a noise and renders that window useless as it is so hard to open. Once again they told me that there is nothing wrong.

All of this background info to say this. I don't get why a company would pay to haul a camper both ways, sit on it for 6 months and then rush it through the repair process and not fix it right!?! Why not go the extra ten minutes it would have taken to do it right? Zig Ziglar was right when he said that "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has worn off"!

Trying to keep my temper in check about all of this, I have not talked to the factory yet. I don't want it to go back for another 6 month stint and I am quite embittered by this whole process. Part of me wants to fix it right myself and part of me wants to sell the thing and TRY and find a camper that is built with AMERICAN PRIDE! What would you all do in this situation?

Rant over.....thanks for listening!