Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Another problem

Today I installed the Refrigerator vent cover. Put enterabond tape on the bathroom skylight and also on one of the atarium windows that had a small leak. In doing the work I had to run the slideout and noticed it was moving slow. I checked the battery voltage of the MH and it showed it to be low. So I now have two coach batterys to replace. Since I never use the motor home with out an electrical hook up why do I have to buy expensive marine batterys? It appears to me that I could just buy two cheaper 12 volt batterys and get by.. Only problem might be not having the tap on top of the batterys to fasten the cables to. I am just rambling, always trying to save money somewhere. I am beginning to think the MH is just like a boat, someplace to throw money into.
The two batterys that are in it now are Deka Marine Master DP27. I guess I probably should also replace the other battery also, for it has got to be at least 4 years old, it is a Delco hard top, no caps.
Though I would drive over to Sam's club and see what they have or maybe WalMart.

While I was working on the MH I once again tried to see what was causing my steps to on occasion not work. I had talked to Kwikee and they told me to check the ground wire for a good connection, which I did. I found that if the step fails to work I can go to the fuse block and pull on the heavy green wire and it will then work, so I almost sure there is a bad connection inside of the fuse block. I tried today to take it apart and see what the problem is but It is not that easy. I beleive it would be easier to run a new wire from the fuse box feed and put another fuse in line for this wire. I am going to wait until it acts up once again and then I will put 12 volt directly into this green wire and see if the steps work . If they do I will make the modification rather than tearing the fuse block apart and then damaging something else.
Motor Homes, every time you go out you have things to repair when you get back home. But I am still having fun, when the fun stops I will sell.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
trickto322

I just replaced our house batteries while in Florida because of a bad converter (under warrantee). My steps would not work right and my slides went in slow when my batteries were low . After we replaced them everything works fine . IMHO if you put low cost batteries in you might end up spending twice as much. You might end up buying the right ones the second time.

Good luck,
Adrian and Johnnie
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
zzrv

I just replaced all the batteries in my coach. They were 4-5 years old. The chassis battery is a Duralast from Autozone, about $85, and two DC27's from Walmart, around $60 a piece.

I also had to replace the BIRD ( Battery Isolator Relay Delay) cause it was bad causing all three batteries to be charged and discharged all the time. When the coach batteries ran down, they also took out the chassis battery.

Ron