Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #1
Life on the fishing pier

Default Carefree Compass awning problems

We have a 2021 VC 23RSS with the Carefree awning with the simple rocker switch control. This past winter I noticed when extending the awning sometimes the motor would coast resulting it the awning being extended too far. If memory serves me correctly when new it would stop rotation very quickly after the switch was released.

After much frustration I did get to speak with someone at Carefree Colorado and they didn't answer my questions about a motor brake or shunt but said my motor is defective and will send one in 4-6 weeks allowing me to install it instead of dragging the camper 111 miles to the dealer.

Has anyone had one of these motors apart? More curious than anything but is there a magnetic brake like overhead cranes use? Is there a shunt brake using a set of contacts and a resistor to collapse the magnetic fields?

Regardless, when the new motor comes in the old one will be dissected just to see what failed.
Life on the fishing pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Life on the fishing pier

Default Solution found

I'm almost sure Gulfstream did not install the correct awning switch which doesn't surprise me since they mounted the awning rail 3/4" low on my trailer. The switch Carefree calls for os a DPDT momentary rocker with dynamic braking. My KIB panel does not have the dynanic braking feature.
Last evening I drew up a circuit with two automotive SPDT relays and this morning installed it. Problem solved. I'll keep using my circuit instead of botching up my current panel by installing a larger switch.

If anyone else has this problem let me know and I'll walk you through my solution.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:10 PM   #3
Bike Dr

Hey way to be crafty and making your own repair!! That's what I like to see, our coach was nice but my God what a wiring nightmare!! Sound from the dash unit came through the surround system and the entertainment played halfway the dash system... all completely wrong! So a three month long rewire and updated everything to today's electronics and added a bunch more.

So I'm not surprised at all that you had the incorrect switch from the start.
I like to hear when people jump in and get things figured out.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!
2005 40'4 Atrium 8410 SE
Towing
2017 20' weller's enclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:29 AM   #4
Life on the fishing pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Dr View Post
Hey way to be crafty and making your own repair!! That's what I like to see, our coach was nice but my God what a wiring nightmare!! Sound from the dash unit came through the surround system and the entertainment played halfway the dash system... all completely wrong! So a three month long rewire and updated everything to today's electronics and added a bunch more.

So I'm not surprised at all that you had the incorrect switch from the start.
I like to hear when people jump in and get things figured out.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!
2005 40'4 Atrium 8410 SE
Towing
2017 20' weller's enclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
The wiring of these can be a challenge. I came from a trade where every wire was tagged at both ends and all prints must be 100% correct or risk getting a federal fine. These seem to be willy nilly to me.
I made some shelves in the bathroom and ran some 5vdc strip LED lights for the underside of each shelf. When looking for a +12v source for the 12v to 5v converter I traced wires and verify power with a 12v probe test light. Alligator clip to the - ground and one wire I probed started to bring in my Schwintek slide in! Oh boy did that get my attention.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
prk-Kingsport

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life on the fishing pier View Post
I'm almost sure Gulfstream did not install the correct awning switch which doesn't surprise me since they mounted the awning rail 3/4" low on my trailer. The switch Carefree calls for os a DPDT momentary rocker with dynamic braking. My KIB panel does not have the dynanic braking feature.
Last evening I drew up a circuit with two automotive SPDT relays and this morning installed it. Problem solved. I'll keep using my circuit instead of botching up my current panel by installing a larger switch.

If anyone else has this problem let me know and I'll walk you through my solution.
Details about that circuit would be great. I'm having the same problem on my awning and never thought about the switch being incorrect.
prk-Kingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:47 PM   #6
The Deuce

Same problem here. I was getting ready to call Carefree. Let us know what you find out
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #7
maddog53

I have had the same issue. I found that part number R001605 is the correct switch for this application. I emailed Gulf Stream, and Carefree of Colorado and Carefree came back with "this is an installer issue" I emailed Gulf Stream and told them the issue, and asked them for a one time good will offer and they agreed to send me the correct switch. Trouble is, they sent the wrong switch. They are in the process of sending me the correct one. In the meantime, I asked Carefree the same thing, a one time 'good will gesture" and they relented and sent me the correct switch. It does not fit in the same spot of the old switch, so I will have to make a modification. Bottom line, I was not going to accept a 'NO' when it was not my fault, and kept pushing. I ended up getting what I want. Now I have to install it. EVERYONE with this issue needs to do what I did, email, email, email. Good luck everyone.
maddog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:13 AM   #8
Life on the fishing pier

Prk, sorry I missed your post. The Deuce's post generated and email alert so I'm back.

The fix involves two relays, some wire, spade terminals and inline wire taps. I'll clean up my drawings and get them to you too somehow. IIRC, this site requires small attachments.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:32 AM   #9
Life on the fishing pier

Lets see if this works. If it comes out semi legible I'll continue with a description
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220702_072646.jpg (140.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:46 AM   #10
Life on the fishing pier

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B093GMF6M1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I had two relays like these on hand.

The motor reverses polarity to extend or retract. The motor wires connect to #30, one on each relay. -12VDC connects to 87A of each relay and +12VDC goes to 87. -12VDC connects to 85 coil terminals of each relay. Terminals 86 of each relay goes to the existing awning switch and +12VDC feed the same switch. To extend, the awning switch feeds + to the extend relay terminl 86 energizing that relay which connects 87 to 30 and feeding +12VDC to the motor on the left side and -12VDC to the right. Release awning switch and extend relay returns to where 30 is connected to 87A which places a short across the motor stopping the motor. To retract, the retract relay becomes energized and the polarity is reversed.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #11
Life on the fishing pier

A bit more information. In order to assure the collapsing motor field current didn't falsely keep the relay energized when the control switch was released, I used the 12VDC from the main lighting circuit instead of the awning/slide circuit. My thinking was the additional 25-30 feet of wire between the two common connection points would be enough to absorb the back EMF from the motor. I'm reluctant to say what color of wires I used from the existing wiring since there's a very good chance the your camper isn't the same as mine. If you pull the switch panel off the wall and get stumped, drop me a note and we'll talk.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #12
prk-Kingsport

Thank you. That worked for me!
prk-Kingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #13
Life on the fishing pier

I pretty sure we all know why we got the wrong switch. The correct one doesn't fit in the switch panel they purchased. I brought this to Gulfstream and Carefree's attention and that all I can do.
Right now they aren't too happy with me: My 23RSS has a tire load sticker for a 19ERD. I noticed the odd numbers on the sticker during pre inspection and mentioned it to the deaker. The SalesDude pretended to care by writing a note in front of me. Note probably said, "I wish this customer never set foot in my door" Just as the warranty was to expire I emailed Gulfstream with a picture of the improper tire load sticker and have heard nothing. Funny thing there was a recall of something very similar.
Glad to hear others have noticed the same problem I found.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:38 AM   #14
Life on the fishing pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life on the fishing pier View Post
I pretty sure we all know why we got the wrong switch. The correct one doesn't fit in the switch panel they purchased. I brought this to Gulfstream and Carefree's attention and that all I can do.
Right now they aren't too happy with me: My 23RSS has a tire load sticker for a 19ERD. I noticed the odd numbers on the sticker during pre inspection and mentioned it to the deaker. The SalesDude pretended to care by writing a note in front of me. Note probably said, "I wish this customer never set foot in my door" Just as the warranty was to expire I emailed Gulfstream with a picture of the improper tire load sticker and have heard nothing. Funny thing there was a recall of something very similar.
Glad to hear others have noticed the same problem I found.
Update. Gulfstream replied to my email about the tire load sticker.