Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #1
AppliedThinking

Default Battery Disconnect 2 (BD2) change out

This journey started with the engine not starting. I would crank over but that was it. Oh no, not the fuel pump again. I always keep a full tank of fuel with long term additive. This is going to take draining the tank to drop it down safety.

Then the generator was not starting. The starter contactor was just clicking away. No problem, ordered a new part and completed the change out. It started right up. Still no luck getting the engine started...

Several weeks went by and on a whim, I decided to try the engine. It started!! Not the fuel pump that goodness. But now the gen will not start, and I know is has a new starter contactor.

At this point, I started to suspect the Battery Disconnect system. Two latching BD2 relays and two heavy duty contactors. Ah ha, I was getting a voltage drop across one of the contactors and it was hot at the touch. At this point I decided to replace all 4 components in the box. The BD2 relay lower right (Coach) was a bear. Another thing was to find a push pin small enough to release the internal spade lugs on the 5amp circuits.

During the change out, the line that feeds the slideout thermal protection pulled right out of the lug. Yikes, that was from the factory way back in pre-1998. There is only 16k miles on the rig so well worth the time to fix and replace. Using a Thomas & Betts crimp tool I re-crimped the lug. I also had to redo the two spade lugs to bring out the locking tab.

Every connection has a light coat of Oxyguard and tightened down without breaking anything. The system is now fully working and I can now start both the engine and gen.

Hope this helps someone fighting similar issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD2_s.jpg (258.3 KB, 6 views)
AppliedThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

SUGGEST you try to put RIG INFO in your Signature? Or in reply comment?** You never mentioned which year/ rig? (See MINE below)
Old 09-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

TIP: I might also suggest (since you spare slots in fuse panel) that you store a spare 15a, 30a, x-a in this slots?

Tags
battery disconnect, bd2, engine, generator