Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-18-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
Henning2710

Default Buying advice/help 1992 Tourmaster

Hello, I am new to this forum, having previously owned a 1994 Winnebago Diesel Pusher that we sold last year.

We are planning to buy another Diesel Pusher closer to retirement (in ~15 years), but just came across a motorhome we are considering buying.

It is a 1992 Tourmaster. Does anyone have any advice to this vintage of the Tourmaster, any weak points we should check and other advice specific to this year/model?

Here's a link to the ad: https://nmi.craigslist.org/rvs/d/wes...510183616.html

Thank you!
Henning2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:08 AM   #2
Bike Dr

As with any coach I've mentioned before. Leaks are the number 1 thing.. but if you owned others in the Past you should be able to get a good idea of what the coach has to offer up close. And the tour master is and have been very nice coaches. Ofcourse due to the age you probably will want to update some items! From the pictures it does appear to be worth looking into!!
I hope this helps a little!! For starters!!
Good luck!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!!

2005 41' Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
Henning2710

Thank you Bike Dr, that is very helpful.

We've owned a Winnebago DP of nearly the same vintage before and I sure learned a lot during that experience. It was an Oshkosh X-Line (Freightliner XC) chassis with the 6BT 5.9 Cummins and the same Allison MD3060 transmission. Luckily I am willing and able to do a lot of work myself.

This one has had the roof resealed 4 years ago and we're going to have a look at it this weekend. I just have no experience with and limited knowledge of the Tourmaster, so I appreciate your input.

The known issues after speaking with the current owner are:
  • one leveling jack sticks coming back up and needs assistance (new issue that started on a recent trip) (I can probably figure this out or take it off for refurbishment)
  • the air suspension loses pressure after sitting more than a couple of days, but works otherwise, two air bags have been replaced within the last 3 years (this would have to be looked at by a professional)
  • cruise control box in the engine compartment was damaged and cruise is inop, control box will have to be replaced/rewired (I can probably figure this out)
  • cab air has a leak and is inop (I will figure this out and then have a professional flush and refill the system)
  • entry step won't retract (new issue that started on a recent trip) (should be no problem, I've dealt with steps a lot on the previous one and they're no rocket science)
  • some interior light bulbs are out (duh)
  • 2-way fridge is replacement from a much newer 5th wheel, but smaller size than original, works on LP and 120V (I will keep looking for correct size replacement)
  • seam in driver seat is torn, needs to be re-sown (we have a local place that can do this for reasonable money)
  • generator needs a new flex pipe, but works well otherwise (I can do this)
  • engine exhaust flex pipe has been repaired, but will eventually have to be replaced (I can do this)
All other systems work as intended. I would for sure replace all fluids and filters unless there is a record of recent enough maintenance.
Henning2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
Bike Dr

Hey sounds good like me I do all of my own repairs to save tons!
I'm right there with you on what you have explained, its good to be thorough, most items sound workable. The leveling system can be a pain but ive been through most of the issues you mentioned.
The air system is OK it sounds like if it takes days for it to leak down at being a 1992 is pretty good. Most leak overnight it seems now days
PLEASE!!! check the air bags!!! Mine were still good and working but it's like having a 17 yr old tire on your rig.. it could go at any time and my luck it would be the worst time! I saved the originals but I still wanted piece of mind when traveling! The front are usually the more difficult ones to change..I made a tool to turn an 1 1/2 hour per side job in to 15 minutes per side
As for the steps and cruise those are good tinker items for you sir..so if you are like me I'm sure you will figure it out!! Good luck I hope you get it and hope to hear you got it!!
The ac is my next adventure I need to replace the condenser but it's very accessible but locating the right one could be a challenge but I don't mind.
LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 40' Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Old 07-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
lucien

To: Bike Dr
Could you elaborate on the tool you made to turn an "1 1/2 hour per side job in to 15 minutes per side". I am in a process to change the front bags on my 2004 Atrium 8411.
Any drawing, pictures, etc.
Thanks you you answer
Lucien
lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:40 AM   #6
Bike Dr

Sure thing! I just cut an 1 1/8 socket down and welded a piece of flat stock to it. That allowed the clearance needed to slide the tool between the front axle and under the nut on the bottom of the air bag. It's mentioned to drop the front axle to gain room to work but it was much easier to not have to mark everything to make sure it all went back in line. But I touched only the bolts on the bag and did not have to tear it all apart.. job made easy!! You might think an offset wrench would do it but not that lucky.. I will try and upload some pictures
Note the angle cut on the back was needed for the new bags. The bottom bolt was slightly longer so the angle was to be able to angle the tool enough to get it back out after tightening the nut.
I have to add for the sake of safety PLEASE use cribbing or heavy jack stands while you are under your coach! We only get one life¡ be safe anytime you are underneath!!!!
Dump the air on the system raise it up about 6 to 8" on the leveling jacks then crib or jack stand the frame and let the wheels stay right on the ground and the bag will come right out with a small bar to compress the bag enough to pop it out...one air fitting and 2 bolts is a it is. Reinstall the same way you Removed it noticing the air fitting face the correct direction..
Good luck!!!

2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220724_122110.jpg (463.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20220724_121908.jpg (591.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #7
Bike Dr

A quick funny story!!
Turn off all the power to the coach!! The reason I say this is because!!
I got my airbags and set up the jacks and cribbed as mentioned above!
Moved on to just crawl right on in there and start to pull out the old bags, it must have been at least 95° out with always it seems high humidity here in MD. At that point I'm all sweaty not that anyone wants to know but I work hard so it happens. I am laying on my back under the coach on the ground and reach up in the coach to begin moving the bottom nut and got stung!! Or so I thought on the under side of my arm in that tender area just below my arm pit..I look around and see a few small mud bee nest but no bees!! I thought okay back to it, I reach back up in to give it another go and BAM!!! STUNG AGAIN!!! I'm at this point like WTH my uncle who is standing out on the side hears my rucase underneath because at that point right then it hit me! I wasn't getting stung I was getting shocked!! I said I'm getting shocked and he replied do you see something wrong? I said no I'm literally getting shocked!
What was happening was I keep power to my coach all the time for the charger but the switches for the coach were still on from raising it up. At this point everything was fine but the coaches electrical system sits on tires! So with me sweating and the coach in the on position when I touched it I was the only thing between the coaches electrical system and the natural ground and when it hit that tender spot under my arm witch was no way enough to hurt you but I got quite a tingle and realized what had happened right away after turning off the switches to the coach it was back to work on the bags but had a good laugh in the process!!

I'm a tech for a living but sometimes the stupidest things will happen!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper